2004-2005 Comp G

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Weight reduction, cam/rockers, 3.2, e85, tune, small supporting mods should be 12s

I don't know what to tell you.

2016 Focus ST (ST2) = [email protected] (Unleashed tune E40, Thermal R&D Turbo back and slicks, that's it) 1.78 60ft stock suspension.

I know what prevented that car from running 12's, my inlet temps were 150+ degrees in 4th gear at the top of the strip. Cars with the same mods but upgraded intercooler trap 105-106. With weight reduction 107-108. I went the WMI route and I copied another guys installation. It resulted in intermittent spraying and a burned up pump, replaced under warranty by AEM.

Your/that focus is a ~300whp to high 200s car, no? What mph did it pick up in the back 1/8? Comp G will come in 3-400lbs heavier. Just doing the super rough math, L32 cars dyno'd low 200/210s at best iirc. The m90 is terrible for relative gains compared to even a crappy turbo. A 3.0 pulley on e85 with a tune is not going to net you 100+whp

1quick is right in the ~300whp as a number to shoot for full weight for 12s. Not saying its a hard number, but a good round number estimate, MPH i have no idea

Don't believe everything you read online (especially fb), you will have to go to ATCO in december with a -1000 DA to duplicate some numbers people claim lol

I talked via email with Dave @TEP, he said the stock trans will be fine up to about 375/400 hp if in good working order. After that the input shaft becomes the next problem, then the drive chain.
No offense but this has to be a mis-type or quote, 275/300 would be the "right" numbers. I'd love to see the email exchange on that particular part. Dudes livelihood for like 2 decades was/is around the 65e.

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
I've been out of the 3800 game a long time and out of my whipple car and turbo car, the fastest I've ever gone was in my m90 and that was 13.0 lol.

My best advice is to really listen to what the folks on here say...a lot of record holders and a lot of knowledge contained in these walls.

I am listening otherwise I could just speculate without joining the site right? I didn't say headers weren't needed and I didn't say a cam wasn't needed either. Those just don't fit into the budget.

no way is a stock GTP running high 13,

Define stock, you mean exactly as GM built it? I don't disagree but who is talking about stock????

Tell you what, I want donations. I want donations to pay for my gas. Looking at calendar, if I can get a car b
Use the slicks. They are better for the transmission. Plus you'll always have traction problems with drag radials on these cars.

There were a very small handful of these cars that went 13's stock. It's not anywhere close to normal. At your elevation, you should be in the mid 14's.

Don't waste your time and money on exhaust work. The Dyno and scans show there is no benefit to any of it. That includes the plog. Spend your money on something that will actually make the car faster.

The stock injectors will max around a 3.4 pulley on e85, so you'll need those.

A local guy last summer had a gtp with drag radials, e85, injectors, 2.8 pulley, and intake ran low 13's at our terrible air. He broke his transmission on that pass, but it would have been very close to a 12 second pass if he had not. At your elevation, you should be fairly close to your time after some practice and a good tune.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. IMHO when learning a new platform I like slicks better they are way more forgiving.

The March 1st event is too close but the next event is April 26th which will give me much more time to dial the combination in.

I read you were thinking about going to Rocky Mountain Drag Wheel with the M90 car, still considering it? I've wanted to do that for awhile. I would add the nitrous I think at that point to make up for high elevation racing.

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
Weight reduction, cam/rockers, 3.2, e85, tune, small supporting mods should be 12s

Your/that focus is a ~300whp to high 200s car, no? What mph did it pick up in the back 1/8? Comp G will come in 3-400lbs heavier. Just doing the super rough math, L32 cars dyno'd low 200/210s at best iirc. The m90 is terrible for relative gains compared to even a crappy turbo. A 3.0 pulley on e85 with a tune is not going to net you 100+whp

1quick is right in the ~300whp as a number to shoot for full weight for 12s. Not saying its a hard number, but a good round number estimate, MPH i have no idea

Don't believe everything you read online (especially fb), you will have to go to ATCO in december with a -1000 DA to duplicate some numbers people claim lol

No offense but this has to be a mis-type or quote, 275/300 would be the "right" numbers. I'd love to see the email exchange on that particular part. Dudes livelihood for like 2 decades was/is around the 65e.

Stock = 219 whp on hub dyno 91 octane

Never removed the seats, the one time I was going too I broke a stud trying to install my slicks. I didn't have my mind right, Pep Boys was open (It was a Sunday) and I could have had it replaced quickly.

Any cheap intercooler upgrade overdriving the stock turbo will knock exit temps down to 120 degrees before the throttle body, the MAP/Temp sensor is on the exit of the intercooler (mounts to it).

You still get temp rise though because many of those cars are at ambient before driving the car hard (IE 3rd gear pull)

I can get -500 at Sonoma, marine layer rolls in. Makes it hard to see the scoreboard from the starting line but it does drop the temp pretty good.

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020

I won't share the whole email, but here's the sentence -

Much over the 375-400whp mark because concern as the 7/8” single chain sets are short lived in continuous high power use

We were talking about the chains/gear sets. The majority of these cars are over 110,000 miles now and will need a refresh. It's just expensive so people delay doing it until they have to.

I was told if it doesn't slip and is working well, to drain the fluid, change the filter, put in Mobil One or Amsoil Synthetic ATF. A trans tune would take care of the rest.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
The 7/8" chain he is talking about is an aftermarket chain. Stock, these cars use dual 1/2" chains. So he was talking about his best transmission at that point. Even though, there are better options than the 7/8".

I doubt I'm going to be able to make Rocky mountain race week this year. We have a baby due the end of March, so I might be pushing my luck to leave everyone for a week in June. Hopefully next year, but it looks like they are doing a different route then.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Came in kind of late to the party, but getting mid 12’s on an ‘04 with an M90 will take some time to sort out. Just follow the recipes online to get you started. I also doubt you’ll be satisfied with a canned tune on the car at that level. Get the biggest intercooler you can fit. The stock cam will get you there with high lift rockers and enough cold air.

you’ll need headers for sure. Doesn’t matter what primary size. The available headers for these cars are all large enough, just get whats the best deal.

get a proper shift kit. I got 240k on mine by the time it was sold, with just a shift kit and lots of low 12 passes on slicks or drag radials (your mileage may vary...lol).

If you’re going to run e85 anyway, run an L26 bottom end with a supercharged top end. The extra compression will pick up a lot, and you won’t have to drive the blower as hard. If you can find a good ‘98 cam, it has the highest lift and duration of all production years

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
The 7/8" chain he is talking about is an aftermarket chain. Stock, these cars use dual 1/2" chains. So he was talking about his best transmission at that point. Even though, there are better options than the 7/8".

I doubt I'm going to be able to make Rocky mountain race week this year. We have a baby due the end of March, so I might be pushing my luck to leave everyone for a week in June. Hopefully next year, but it looks like they are doing a different route then.

Go back through Nebraska again? Certainly would be covenant. Congrats on the soon to arrive baby!

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
Came in kind of late to the party, but getting mid 12’s on an ‘04 with an M90 will take some time to sort out. Just follow the recipes online to get you started. I also doubt you’ll be satisfied with a canned tune on the car at that level. Get the biggest intercooler you can fit. The stock cam will get you there with high lift rockers and enough cold air.

you’ll need headers for sure. Doesn’t matter what primary size. The available headers for these cars are all large enough, just get whats the best deal.

get a proper shift kit. I got 240k on mine by the time it was sold, with just a shift kit and lots of low 12 passes on slicks or drag radials (your mileage may vary...lol).

If you’re going to run e85 anyway, run an L26 bottom end with a supercharged top end. The extra compression will pick up a lot, and you won’t have to drive the blower as hard. If you can find a good ‘98 cam, it has the highest lift and duration of all production years

Thanks for the suggestions but that is too much work and headers wouldn't be on the car long enough to justify fooling with them.

All this doubt makes me want to get the car even more. It will be a few weeks yet but if it all checks out and runs good I have no problem getting a baseline from the car at the 1/8th mile.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info