2004-2005 Comp G

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
Headers will be the best bang for the buck and will make more power than a PLOG.

Intercooler is more reliable especially if you want to be consistent.

a ZZP or DHP base tune is a good start but you will need adjustments to your specific mods.

I have not heard of anyone being able to run a 3.0 on a Gen V with stock injectors.

I had good luck with MT ET Street DR.

13.9 is not common for a car with just a intake/catback. I am saying if those times are true there is more to that.

I would also look at private party cars.

No doubt it would make more power but as I said for the next stage of modifications I wouldn't need them.

Regarding injectors, it seems they would be large enough. I could always run a Kenne-Bell BOP. Upgrading injectors isn't an issue again if needed.

Love M&H had great relationship with the distributor in California, very supportive typically track side at major events. For another event I will have to run drag radials but I'll have more time to get acclimated.

For reasons I rather not talk about I can't do private party.

I was going to copy Dime Machine/Toys4Life since his Fiero Formula clone runs consistent high 11's. Given that with driver weight of the Fiero is around 3,000 pounds, the GP would be 3,700 lbs.

Add back 7 tenths for the weight and that setup would run 12.55. But adding a cam is fine but why leave the rest of the valvetrain as-is when the opportunity to do preventive maintenance is there?

That increases the cost. HP Tuners MPV2 $299, Power Log $150, Press On Pulley $70 . I am just being realistic. Add in the slicks and the wheels and it's about $1,200

Given the time table, I might only have a few days to prep the car. That is why I am opting for the three easiest things to do, along with some slicks and E85 I think we can get really close.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Going off of mammory because I'm sure I tossed my slips a LOOOOOOONNGGGG time ago, but mine (a '99 GTP), with intake, exhaust, Intense mod pulley setup (I want to say a 3" or maybe 3.25" for my best run), and probably a few other little things along with REALLY good air, I want to say was 13.9 as a best, but solid low 14's, MPH fails me though.

Keep in mind, this is a much bigger and heavier car than an SRT4.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
No doubt it would make more power but as I said for the next stage of modifications I wouldn't need them.

Regarding injectors, it seems they would be large enough. I could always run a Kenne-Bell BOP. Upgrading injectors isn't an issue again if needed.

Love M&H had great relationship with the distributor in California, very supportive typically track side at major events. For another event I will have to run drag radials but I'll have more time to get acclimated.

For reasons I rather not talk about I can't do private party.

I was going to copy Dime Machine/Toys4Life since his Fiero Formula clone runs consistent high 11's. Given that with driver weight of the Fiero is around 3,000 pounds, the GP would be 3,700 lbs.

Add back 7 tenths for the weight and that setup would run 12.55. But adding a cam is fine but why leave the rest of the valvetrain as-is when the opportunity to do preventive maintenance is there?

That increases the cost. HP Tuners MPV2 $299, Power Log $150, Press On Pulley $70 . I am just being realistic. Add in the slicks and the wheels and it's about $1,200

Given the time table, I might only have a few days to prep the car. That is why I am opting for the three easiest things to do, along with some slicks and E85 I think we can get really close.

Not even going to change the intake? Buy some used 245 or 255 drag radials and put them on stock rims.

I am being realistic also. You be lucky if you don't blow the car up with that plan.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
hero? a tenth faster than a mag time?

We not saying 13.9 here

when he wants to bracket race 12.6 and be consistent. :dunno:

the 1 time i went to the track in my 05 non comp g i did a best 14.9, on a hotter than normal October day. the TCG track day in 12 where we only got in 3 runs. i think at that time i was just hot air intake.

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
Who cares..........

I say OP should go turbo

Turbo for less than $1,200 including tires, injectors and fuel pump?

This is also assuming I would be tossing the supercharger wouldn't?

S369 T4 = $850
ZZP Z3 crossover (if I could get done locally for less, it won't be much cheaper actually) - $250
ZZP Wastegate Perch - $90
Misc Pipe (Mandrel Bends) - $150
Whatever pump will fit neatly into the stock hanger + BOP = $400

I don't have the car yet so I can't really comment on the rest of it, I gotta see what would go where.

Besides, why all that to run 12.6 when the stock supercharger is capable of that with less work at a lower cost?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Mistake on my part, what's 10mm anyway?

If you eliminate knock (E85) and wheel spin (slicks) what would a otherwise stock GP run? I'd say somewhere in the 13's. How much is the pulley worth? I'd say half a second. Power log, maybe a tenth.

You only need to go about 103 to run consistent 12 second ET's

The SRT-4 ran [email protected] with a 1.78 60 ft, dyno verified 255 whp (downpipe, o2 housing, cat-back, S1, stock intercooler, front/rear seats removed, no spare/jack/tool. 91 octane with a bottle of Lucas octane booster. That was before you could flash it with Diablosport or SCT or running E85 was popular. Now cars with the same mods are running low 12's, high 11's.

I added a AEM CAI and it ran [email protected]

One of the few videos found online of that car I ran 12.97@101 as I didn't let the car cool down enough before qualifications started.

The GP is heavier but not dramatically so. I'm not convinced the exhaust on the Series III's is that bad. Now if I have the time I would put a pressure sensor on the downpipe to verify, no reason to be in the dark anymore.

If I have the time I would do the incremental approach because I'm curious. Not against nitrous at all, didn't think it would be needed to run 12.6

you need a lot more than 103mph to run 12’s if you cant get the car to 60’ awesome, my truck goes 107 to hit 12.8 and my 2014 mustang did 114 to do a 12.4

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
Not even going to change the intake? Buy some used 245 or 255 drag radials and put them on stock rims.

I am being realistic also. You be lucky if you don't blow the car up with that plan.

Why would I blow it up, care to elaborate?

What is wrong with slicks? Drag Radials will be faster but with a new car and a learning curve I would go rather go with slicks, no magic just air down until it doesn't spin anymore. I don't buy used slicks especially when I have no idea how many passes are on them and I happen to like these M&H slicks.

I have around 60 passes on the ones in the garage. One has a slit in the sidewall, can't be fixed. Unless somebody is parting out their build and I haven't really looked yet I rather buy fresh rubber.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
1quick 1quick what did your turbo 04+ end up doing
Witch one? I had a blower car and the turbo, the blower car went 14.1 like I stated in a previous post, then it was set up like I told him to set his up, headers e85 3.0 pulley s1x cam and it never made a pass after that, the turbo car before I went completely stupid with it went 11.9 with a 2.1 60’ at 125mph, I never ran it again after fixing some issues and turning it up

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
you need a lot more than 103mph to run 12’s if you can't get the car to 60’ awesome, my truck goes 107 to hit 12.8 and my 2014 mustang did 114 to do a 12.4

I don't know what to tell you.

2016 Focus ST (ST2) = [email protected] (Unleashed tune E40, Thermal R&D Turbo back and slicks, that's it) 1.78 60ft stock suspension.

I know what prevented that car from running 12's, my inlet temps were 150+ degrees in 4th gear at the top of the strip. Cars with the same mods but upgraded intercooler trap 105-106. With weight reduction 107-108. I went the WMI route and I copied another guys installation. It resulted in intermittent spraying and a burned up pump, replaced under warranty by AEM.

I can get the car to hook, it's not rocket science. Sacramento's prep is pretty good for events, marginal for street legals. Best street legal prep is at Sonoma Raceway and Famoso.

I might have time to do an alignment and get some B+G springs. That is if they still make some W-body springs, I'll ask them when the time comes.

My SRT-4 was running 12's even hot lapping it. Not much done too it either on 91 octane. Those cars run 11's on stock turbo + E85 these days.

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
I'd look on the facebook 3800 group for used turbo stuff. Kits have been going for less than a grand.

But tuning is going to be your biggest hurdle turbo or supercharged.

Tuning, not too much of a concerned about that. Logging is the biggest concern in a short time frame. Torrie@Unleashed was very good, I could easily get a new flash to upload between rounds, assuming it was during the day since he's in FLA and I'm in CA.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
or wait till it’s li
Injectors, stock pump with a BOP should do the job. Cam I thought of but it's out of my budget if I am also doing valve springs, roller rockers and lifters.

Man these two valve engines.... DOHC, two cams, springs and retainers = Done

you will need over 300whp to run in the 12’s on e98 you won’t do that with stock injectors, maybe a stock pump with a rewire

Reactions: PANDA

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
In order to 60' a stock-ish weight GTP well enough to get in the mid 12's would require a pretty small pulley. I was able to fenagle a 14.1@99mph in mine (stock+tune 93 octane) but no matter what I did it was a dog off the line with the stock pulley/converter. A GT converter would be a very ideal/cheap upgrade and if you're handy enough the GT gearing would really help. It'd be no different than doing gears/converter on your cookie cutter Fbody setup. You're not going to gain a full second like one of those will, but it would certainly be .5 seconds pending the TQ that particular setup is making.

Weight will be the biggest enemy, the stock transmissions break if you look at them wrong. Some people get insanely lucky and some people break built transmissions on a shakedown run. This is definitely the #1 reason I would recommend choosing a different platform to drag race. You will go through the struggles of transmission troubles, you will spend more money than you ever budgeted and you WILL end up dumping the platform like everyone else that learned the same lesson.

AThomas

Feb 9, 2020
when he wants to bracket race 12.6 and be consistent. :dunno:

the 1 time i went to the track in my 05 non comp g i did a best 14.9, on a hotter than normal October day. the TCG track day in 12 where we only got in 3 runs. i think at that time i was just hot air intake.

It's not a bracket, it's an index. Difference is Index is heads up unlike brackets which is staggered start, both use a Sportsman tree though some index classes use a Pro tree.

The event features a Turbo bracket and the Index classes. I want to run the slower of the two Index classes and the Turbo bracket which would be me vs all turbocharged cars.

Consistently never hurts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info