*SPOILER THREAD* Star Wars Rogue One

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Wow, I feel the pressure now.

First off, no Porkins?!?!??! WTF!!!!! I wanted Porkins so bad. It was a perfect time to bring him in. Swing and miss Disney.

2nd seeing Red 5 obliterated was so fucking cool because Luke becomes Red 5 in ANH.

The fact that Jimmy Smits is now older looking than he was in ROTS and they CGI'd Tarkin and Leia just made the transition between both trilogies so real. When we first saw the back of Tarkin and his reflection I thought that was it. When he became a supporting character in the whole movie I had a fanboi boner. The CGI seemed to get progressively better or I just stopped looking for it. Either way the beginning was iffy but the fact he was there made up for it 10 fold compared to the abortion they had in ROTS. That was awesome. I can not say enough about that. I wanted to see the Falcon once though. Leaving Jedha would have been awesome.

This movie did such a great job tying in the prequels to the original trilogy and finally making sense of the timeline. There was never really any continuity other than Luke and Leia as babies and Vader/Palpatine. Bale Organa, Tarkin, reference to Obi Wan, Leia in the last scene, even the 2 scum bags from the Cantina. All awesome.

Vader, OMG!!!!! Vader. So fucking badass. I wasn't even pissed that he was in only a few scenes. The bacta tank scene was gold but I wanted more. Also I was a little annoyed that in the last scene he is that bad ass we all wanted to see but then we are made to believe that he can barely move when fighting Obi Wan like a couple days later (in canon). I wanted to see that tie in. Like an injury or damage to his suit, something. Small gripe I know. The action scene of him destroying rebels more than made up for the discrepancy. His castle was so fucking cool too.

All in all I loved the continuity and how the end scenes of Vader watching Leia's ship leave and Leia getting the plans bring us right in to ANH.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
I was around to see the first Star Wars in 1977.

I grew up with this series of films.....for me this is without question the Star Wars movie I have been waiting for since Return of the Jedi.

This meets or exceeds ESB in my eyes, and was executed to almost perfection.

My assumption is Vader's castle was on Mustafar? Was the only planet not identified in the film, which struck me as odd.

The nods to not only the original trilogy, but the prequels and newly added canon stuff was epic. Not over the top or in your face.

At this point, I think I'd much rather see stand alone film that fill in the gaps than new trilogies.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
Like I told Dan last night, it was Mustafar. I think he made his home there to remind him of the dark side...how he was created, etc.

Without a doubt it looked like Mustafar, I just thought it was odd it wasn't identified like all the other locations.

I mean, all of us also know Yavin 4 and they identified that planet....

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Also I thought it was awesome that R1 explains why shootings the exhaust port would destroy the Death Star. That has been criticized over and over and made in to a joke as to how could the Empire be so dumb. The explanation that it was planted as a weak spot by Erso was just epic.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Also I thought it was awesome that R1 explains why shootings the exhaust port would destroy the Death Star. That has been criticized over and over and made in to a joke as to how could the Empire be so dumb. The explanation that it was planted as a weak spot by Erso was just epic.

THAT was huge. It kind of ties into real life...how a corporation doesnt know what its workers are usually doing as long as it "gets done".

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Oh man. Where to start. I'd like to preface this by saying I'm still a bit drunk on the movie.

This was as good as any Star Wars movie. It was far better than some, but it was right up there with the best.

The ending was :bowdown: Vader aside, the last 30+ minutes of the movie was fantastic. The Vader scene was quite possibly my favorite Star Wars scene ever. And I disagree that it wasn't exactly in tune with how he was in ANH. He looked old, slow, clunky, and nothing like Anakin was in Revenge. Also, in ANH, you could argue that he was potentially toying with Obi-Wan, he was essentially gloating the whole fight.

My main gripe with the film was that I think they wasted Donny Yen. Not to say I didn't like his character. I think his character fit the story well, and he played it well. I just think he would have made a *perfect* Jedi. Missed opportunity I guess.

I also didnt like the:
"what's your call sign??"
"uh. Rogue. Uh. Rogue One."
Thought that was cheesy and unnecessary.

K-2SO is probably my favorite Droid in any Star Wars movie. They absolutely nailed that. Good choice going with Steve the Pirate as the voice.

I absolutely LOVED how everyone died in the end. It was the only way that it could have ended, but I was still impressed that they had the balls to go through with it.

I agree with the idea that I would prefer stand alone Star Wars films to the trilogy films. They nailed this one since they didn't have to worry about setting up story lines for multiple films to come. After that ending, I want a stand alone Vader film so bad, but I know it's likely to never happen.

For me this was a 10/10. I'm going to see this multiple times in theaters and I haven't done that in years.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I also didnt like the:
"what's your call sign??"
"uh. Rogue. Uh. Rogue One."
Thought that was cheesy and unnecessary.

After that ending, I want a stand alone Vader film so bad, but I know it's likely to never happen..

That call sign scene seemed like it was specifically made for marketing purposes.

As for a Vader movie, Ive talked about this with Dan...I dont want it. I just think the character would be ruined...I like that there is still mystery about Vader (not so much Anakin). Granted they would have about 19 years of story to work with but even so.

The only way I could see it working is if they did something called like Rise of the Empire and it focused on not just Vader, but how the Empire had basically crippled the galaxy leading up to ANH.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info