Snapped a half shaft, sucks - Anyone hook it up with a tow?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
If I wasn't putting a blower on the car and was going to keep it N/A on street tires, I probably would have tried to get it replaced. But I'm a little too much on the honest side and don't know I'd be able to do that with a clean conscience knowing damn well it was my fault and not a defect.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I would have totally made them replace it under warranty, but it doesn't make sense if you're just going to break it again :rofl:

I remember when the Ford service guy told me taking my Focus to redline voids my warranty. :picard: Bunch of tools.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I would have totally made them replace it under warranty, but it doesn't make sense if you're just going to break it again :rofl:

I remember when the Ford service guy told me taking my Focus to redline voids my warranty. :picard: Bunch of tools.

Ford screwed me over on the convertible with the leaky top. They charged me $400 to put some kind of epoxy around the window. It started leaking 32 days later and they told me the warranty was only 30 days. I was fuming. I fixed it for $5 after that. So yes, I wouldn't feel too bad about it remembering that experience.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I think I may have found the issue...

20170601_190414_zpsbihthnwq.jpg

Shouldn't one side of the axle somehow be fastened/connected to the other?

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
We got the new axles in last night. The problem now is that the car has developed a 'shimmy' when I go in/out of gear 35+mph.

We did have a problem getting the outside part of the axles 100% all the way through the spindles. No matter how much we tried, it felt like the axle should be further into the spindle. I'm wondering if now that the car has had load on it, it is 'sliding' on the slack, left/right. Or something in the suspension is loose and needs to be re-torqued.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Anyone use Maximum Motorsport rear grip packages for the IRS? I have been trying to decided the FTB racing kit or the MM kit for my 03 Cobra.

I'm going with the FTBR kit in mine. It's getting installed by D Mark Performance and he's a dealer for them.

I have the MM coilover and springs for it, but all the bushings will be the Celtic ones from FTBR.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
We got the new axles in last night. The problem now is that the car has developed a 'shimmy' when I go in/out of gear 35+mph.

We did have a problem getting the outside part of the axles 100% all the way through the spindles. No matter how much we tried, it felt like the axle should be further into the spindle. I'm wondering if now that the car has had load on it, it is 'sliding' on the slack, left/right. Or something in the suspension is loose and needs to be re-torqued.

what do you mean no 100% through the spindle? were you able to torque the axle nut to spec? did you match up the new axle length with the stock one?

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I spoke to someone at DSS and they said it is possible that the aftermarket axles will not seat as far as the stock ones do. As long as we were able to get the axle nut completely threaded and torqued to spec, it should be fine.

So now I just need to go look at the suspension and re-torque anything that may have come loose while the car was under actual street load. We torqued everything down while it was on jack stands with the suspension under load using a jack. But maybe something was missed or came loose.

Either way, the rear end is a little too sloppy right now for my tastes, so I'll need to look back into it.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I understand that the axles likely wouldn't just slip right into the spindle with ease, but I was hoping for a much closer to stock seating. I'm sure all the splines are engaged, it just makes me uneasy. But who knows, maybe there is now some play/slack that can be taken up since the car had real load on it and I can seat the axles a little more.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I made a post on Mustang6G as well, only one response so far, but he said he rear-end swayed like crazy too. It all went away when he got an alignment. I don't get it, we didn't change anything but the axle. No aftermarket suspension parts were added. Does that seem feasible? An alignment would be necessary? The DSS tech on the phone said nothing about an alignment.

I guess I should just try and re-tighten everything and go from there, knock out the easy thing first.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The knuckle is attached to the upper and lower control arm as well as the verticle link. So even is the axle wasn't there, the knuckle would still be working in it's designed arch as the suspension compressed and extended.

Jack the car up, loosen the hardware slightly, put the car at ride height and re-torque everything. Make sure to inspect everything to make sure it is all as it should be. Including the way the spring is in the spring perch. Test drive it carefully, re-torque everything again. Pump the tires up so that you have one less limiting factor.

Doing the torques at ride height makes sure the bushings are clocked correctly and not binding. So the suspension isn't fighting itself. Plus double checking everything is a good idea after an install.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info