Snapped a half shaft, sucks - Anyone hook it up with a tow?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
FTB, Steeda and BMR sell some great kits to solve those issues. The factory bushings are soft and have a lot of void in them. Ford did a good job with this IRS. But I think they worried way too much about noise and vibration. You look at the Vette or Camaro bushings and you can see why their bushings do a much better job at controlling the cradle and diff.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Sorry to hear. I remember the halfshaft snapping days well. I have seen halfshaft replacements in drag strip parking lots. Maybe an idea to consider if you can find a couple guys who would be willing to meet and assist you?

I've done that multiple times. When I ran on stock half-shafts in my 350Z I'd bring an extra (junkyard pull part) every time I went to the strip. Saved me a tow multiple times.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Just got home with the car. I may take off the axle and look at it. Will it be painfully obvious that it is broken when I get it out? I know nothing of IRS components. I just want to make sure before I buy the DSS...though a few people seemed certain that's what happened.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Just got home with the car. I may take off the axle and look at it. Will it be painfully obvious that it is broken when I get it out? I know nothing of IRS components. I just want to make sure before I buy the DSS...though a few people seemed certain that's what happened.

You should see a ton of grease under the car where it broke. It's usually green but could be any color.

You can also start it up and put it in gear. Have a buddy check to see if the main drive shaft is spinning. IF so, you broke something in the diff or a half shaft.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
You should see a ton of grease under the car where it broke. It's usually green but could be any color.

You can also start it up and put it in gear. Have a buddy check to see if the main drive shaft is spinning. IF so, you broke something in the diff or a half shaft.

I've never had grease on the underside of the car breaking a half shaft. I can see how it could happen, but it's unlikely unless a CV actually exploded.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I watched a video on replacing the half shafts, it does look like something that could have been done in a parking lot....assuming I had the parts and tools.

That is what I mentioned when we met up. I'm surprised you broke one so quickly. In a burn out even. lol My guess is had a flaw in it or you had major wheel hop.

Hopefully you can get back on the road soon.

Did I miss where you said what kind of power the car made? :ugh:

I thought the same thing.... I expected some movement but that thing is all over the place.. :rofl:

Room for improvements for sure. lol But overall that is a pretty good diff and suspension design. Time for them to tweak it as production goes on. At last the aftermarket is there for now.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
That is what I mentioned when we met up. I'm surprised you broke one so quickly. In a burn out even. lol My guess is had a flaw in it or you had major wheel hop.

Hopefully you can get back on the road soon.

Did I miss where you said what kind of power the car made? :ugh:

I'm still N/A :(

I was supposed to bring to car in for the blower install on Tuesday, but I'm going to have to delay that until I get the new axles.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I almost got the axle out and the shaft seems to be intact. I'm wondering if either this side was fine or the knuckle under the boot is fucked. But anyway, as I removed a bolt for the LCA to the spindle, the bolt came out messed up looking. I have one person's opinion, but I thought I'd double check with the fine ass folks on TCG.

What say you of this bolt?

20170531_194419_zpsl68jtnbs.jpg

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
A lot of the suspension hardware is one time use and cheap. Might want to look into a new one just to be safe.
What is the best way to get that replacement? Show up with the old one at a dealership? I tried a few searches online and I only found main components, not just the bolts I need.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You can call a local dealer and they should be able to get you the part. Or the place below ships fast and have great prices. Scroll down till you see rear suspension pieces in the pics. Click on the pic that shows the knuckle and other components. Then look for the bolt and corresponding part number. Looks like it is $8.50 for that bolt. Not super cheap, but not gonna break the bank.

Buy 2017 Ford Mustang Parts | FordParts.com

bf19cf949f44c1478ecdff3367ab0eb4.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info