Keto dieters, what are you having for lunch.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Do you guys have any idea how much sodium is in the foods you're eating? Have you taken your blood pressure during this "diet"? It seems like this is the most unhealthy way I have ever seen people approach weight loss. What about your vegetables? You can't live your whole life without eating carbs, your body needs carbs. You'll relapse (which it seems almost all of you have?) and you'll go carb crazy and gain all the weight right back.

You are one of those typical people that dont understand how this works. You do not need carbs for anything. When you are in ketosis, your body burns the fats as ketones much more efficiently than carbs/sugars. This can be a means to losing weight, or a complete lifestyle change. I have lowered both my bp and my total cholesterol since starting this diet. Not to mention the 22lbs and counting. Seems to be its working in my favor. Read on the Keto reddit and you will see.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Do you guys have any idea how much sodium is in the foods you're eating? Have you taken your blood pressure during this "diet"? It seems like this is the most unhealthy way I have ever seen people approach weight loss. What about your vegetables? You can't live your whole life without eating carbs, your body needs carbs. You'll relapse (which it seems almost all of you have?) and you'll go carb crazy and gain all the weight right back.

Doctors actually recommend the keto diet for some patients, there is a lot more sodium in shitty processed food most of which doesn't fit into the keto diet, my dad did it long term for several years and his blood work got way better on keto than it was eating a "balanced" diet, and you can eat tons of veggies on keto the carbs are cancelled out by the fiber so they don't count towards your daily intake, mentality it's hard to stick with but I don't believe it's bad for you at all

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Remember you if you are trying to lose, you need to limit the fat/calories. I got a little heavy on the fats, and plateaued for almost two weeks. I had to back off the heavy fats for a bit and I started losing again. But once you get to your goal weight, you can go big again on the fats. Its such a delicate balance. I try to keep my calories 1400 or less. In a perfect world, 1000 is best for losing weight, for me at least.

The whole upside of eating keto is that you don't have to count calories. Also you need to up your fat intake considerably. The reason you don't have to be calorie deficient is because your body uses fat for fuel at the rate of 3:1 compared to carbs. Now I'm not saying you can eat 10,000 calories and lost weight but 1,000 is way way too low. In keto you need to take in more fat that protien for it to work. Meaning chicken by itself is pretty bad for a keto diet unless it's dark meat. Avacado, olive oil, full fat mayo, full fat cheese. These foods have relatively low calories compared to fat grams.

You are one of those typical people that dont understand how this works. You do not need carbs for anything. When you are in ketosis, your body burns the fats as ketones much more efficiently than carbs/sugars. This can be a means to losing weight, or a complete lifestyle change. I have lowered both my bp and my total cholesterol since starting this diet. Not to mention the 22lbs and counting. Seems to be its working in my favor. Read on the Keto reddit and you will see.

It's actually the other way around. You burn carbs slower and more efficiently. I think of it as carbs are 93 gasoline and fat is E85. It takes more E85 to run a motor but you make more power and burn it cleaner.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
1000 calories is also really low, you may be loosing weight at that but your body will nearly shut down your metabolism and make it way harder, I like to diet at 2300-2500 calories a day, if your like 120lbs then carry on otherwise your messing up your metabolism dieting that low

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Doctors actually recommend the keto diet for some patients, there is a lot more sodium in shitty processed food most of which doesn't fit into the keto diet, my dad did it long term for several years and his blood work got way better on keto than it was eating a "balanced" diet, and you can eat tons of veggies on keto the carbs are cancelled out by the fiber so they don't count towards your daily intake, mentality it's hard to stick with but I don't believe it's bad for you at all

What is a balanced diet to you? Eating processed meats, fake vegetables, and candy bars instead of fruits? Eating what he ate IS a balanced diet, it'nit?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
But your sodium levels... Diets are supposed to be healthy :rofl:

The body is a wonderful thing, if you deprive it of things it needs, it WILL get them back. The most successful diets are the ones that aren't really diets, they're lifestyle changes.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
What is a balanced diet to you? Eating processed meats, fake vegetables, and candy bars instead of fruits? Eating what he ate IS a balanced diet, it'nit?

Im more so talking about my dad since he did keto actually Atkins long term like 5 years, he still limits carbs even now, but he ate pretty well to begin with, he likes to cook all his meals so most weren't processed garbage, but for him his blood work improve drastically while on keto over eating rice, potatoes, bread pasta and what not, white bread is pretty horrible for your body, it actually spikes insulin on the same level as pure sugar

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
The whole upside of eating keto is that you don't have to count calories. Also you need to up your fat intake considerably. The reason you don't have to be calorie deficient is because your body uses fat for fuel at the rate of 3:1 compared to carbs. Now I'm not saying you can eat 10,000 calories and lost weight but 1,000 is way way too low. In keto you need to take in more fat that protien for it to work. Meaning chicken by itself is pretty bad for a keto diet unless it's dark meat. Avacado, olive oil, full fat mayo, full fat cheese. These foods have relatively low calories compared to fat grams.

It's actually the other way around. You burn carbs slower and more efficiently. I think of it as carbs are 93 gasoline and fat is E85. It takes more E85 to run a motor but you make more power and burn it cleaner.

You cant eat that much fat, and expect your body to burn not only the fat you are intaking, but the fat you have stored. You need to keep the fat in check, but more than the protein. For me if I eat too much fats, I stop losing. That equates to more calories from fat also. So you need to be in a caloric deficiency in order to burn the fat you have stored. While still feeding your body fats as well. Like i said its a balance. Too many calories from fat, and you will stop burning your stored fat....but you will still be in ketosis.

To your analogy, its like switching over to E85, but not increasing the timing to take advantage of it. Just getting your A/F correct. Thats not what you want if you are trying to lose weight. You can be in full ketosis and not lose weight. Just as you can eat carbs and not gain weight. There is no way around losing weight. You must burn more of your chosen fuel, then you are intaking. You need to find your balance. Mine is less than 1400 calories while sticking to my percentage macros. I have been tracking my food to the T for the last 6 weeks. And you can see from those metrics why I stalled out losing. I was taking in like 1600+ calories and going heavy on the fats.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
This will be my food day for today most likely. I might add in an atkins protein bar as well. But this is a slim day where Im trying to kick in a quicker weight loss week. Adding in the bar will put me around 1200 calories and my macros will be correct.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 9.58.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 9.58.30 AM.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 27

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
But your sodium levels... Diets are supposed to be healthy :rofl:

The body is a wonderful thing, if you deprive it of things it needs, it WILL get them back. The most successful diets are the ones that aren't really diets, they're lifestyle changes.

Your body doesn't store sodium the same way when your in ketosis. This is why it's perfectly health and encouraged to consume more sodium when your body is in ketosis.

Keto Tip: Eat More Salt on a Ketogenic Diet! | My Sugar Free Journey

Many people will argue that the human body wasn't meant to consume simple sugars and starches. I agree that a diet needs to include a lifestyle change but for most people, like myself, they need a jump start to get motivated. I wouldn't call keto a way of life, especially for me, but it is a springboard to a balanced diet.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Your body doesn't store sodium the same way when your in ketosis. This is why it's perfectly health and encouraged to consume more sodium when your body is in ketosis.

Keto Tip: Eat More Salt on a Ketogenic Diet! | My Sugar Free Journey

Many people will argue that the human body wasn't meant to consume simple sugars and starches. I agree that a diet needs to include a lifestyle change but for most people, like myself, they need a jump start to get motivated. I wouldn't call keto a way of life, especially for me, but it is a springboard to a balanced diet.

Agreed. It took me 20 years to gain all the weight I want to lose. If I can lose all this weight over this year, then I an go back to a normal diet but apply some of what I have learned from this to maintain. I wont be eating carbs and sugars like I did before, but I want to be able to enjoy them when I want. Not daily....

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
You cant eat that much fat, and expect your body to burn not only the fat you are intaking, but the fat you have stored. You need to keep the fat in check, but more than the protein. For me if I eat too much fats, I stop losing. That equates to more calories from fat also. So you need to be in a caloric deficiency in order to burn the fat you have stored. While still feeding your body fats as well. Like i said its a balance. Too many calories from fat, and you will stop burning your stored fat....but you will still be in ketosis.

To your analogy, its like switching over to E85, but not increasing the timing to take advantage of it. Just getting your A/F correct. Thats not what you want if you are trying to lose weight. You can be in full ketosis and not lose weight. Just as you can eat carbs and not gain weight. There is no way around losing weight. You must burn more of your chosen fuel, then you are intaking. You need to find your balance. Mine is less than 1400 calories while sticking to my percentage macros. I have been tracking my food to the T for the last 6 weeks. And you can see from those metrics why I stalled out losing. I was taking in like 1600+ calories and going heavy on the fats.

It's all relative to how much energy your body needs which equates to lean mass + movement. I can tell you from experience that if I ate 1400 calories I would plateau with in a month. 2000-2400 is my sweet spot on a balanced diet to lose 3-5 lbs. per week. I need more that that if I'm in ketosis since fat burns at a faster rate than carbs.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Are you in Ketosis? Are you drinking tons of water?

yes i am.

and a good amount yes. i drink a 32oz water bottle 4-6 times a day at work. so that's 126-192 oz of water a day minimum- not accounting for at home.

this is my second bout with keto. i did it last fall. didn't have a lot of the symptoms many report, but i eat pretty well otherwise anyways, and really consume very little sugar other times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info