Keto dieters, what are you having for lunch.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
When you are cutting out carbs those contain most of your sodium intake. Protein in itself is not high in sodium. I would suggest staying away from diet drinks, i know they are free from sugar but having the sugar substitute makes your brain crave the sweets. I am viewing this as a way of eating, a lifestyle change not a diet. I have seen how quickly the weight will come back with a couple weeks off the wagon. Good luck and fight through the Keto Flu!!

Sodium is not inherent in protein or carbs, so I don't know what you're talking about there. Protein and carbs are macronutrients, sodium is a micronutrient. I can add 3 tbsp hot sauce to chicken just like I can brown rice, thus increasing sodium intake with no change in calories. If I had to guess The weight probably came back very quickly because you slowed your metabolism down by a significant amount

Folks, weight loss comes from ONE thing: a calorie deficit. The type of diet, macronutrient balance, etc all serves one purpose: to put you in a calorie deficit.

If you're eating no carbs and in a 500 calorie/day deficit, you'll lose weight basically the same as if you were eating no fat in a 500 calorie/day deficit. If you prefer to be able to load up on guac and cheese instead of chips and rice, that's perfectly fine, but it doesn't make it better than any other diet.

MOST importantly: manage your calorie deficit. As in, don't just eat whatever you want because it doesn't have carbs. You also don't want to consume too little, which is very common if you're just following a cookie-cutter program

Also, IMO zero calorie coke/pepsi is f'in awesome when you're dieting. Fills you up, takes care of the sweet tooth, and has no calories. Probably gives you cancer too but what doesn't nowadays

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Sodium is not inherent in protein or carbs, so I don't know what you're talking about there. Protein and carbs are macronutrients, sodium is a micronutrient. I can add 3 tbsp hot sauce to chicken just like I can brown rice, thus increasing sodium intake with no change in calories. If I had to guess The weight probably came back very quickly because you slowed your metabolism down by a significant amount

Folks, weight loss comes from ONE thing: a calorie deficit. The type of diet, macronutrient balance, etc all serves one purpose: to put you in a calorie deficit.

If you're eating no carbs and in a 500 calorie/day deficit, you'll lose weight basically the same as if you were eating no fat in a 500 calorie/day deficit. If you prefer to be able to load up on guac and cheese instead of chips and rice, that's perfectly fine, but it doesn't make it better than any other diet.

MOST importantly: manage your calorie deficit. As in, don't just eat whatever you want because it doesn't have carbs. You also don't want to consume too little, which is very common if you're just following a cookie-cutter program

Also, IMO zero calorie coke/pepsi is f'in awesome when you're dieting. Fills you up, takes care of the sweet tooth, and has no calories. Probably gives you cancer too but what doesn't nowadays

There are a few great ways to lose weight. Yours is correct, so is Keto and atkins. Atkins ends up putting you into ketosis anyway, but its a slower weight loss journey. Keto gets you burning fats rather than carbs/sugars. And those types of foods like meats and eggs taste great. So If i can lose weight and eat those things, Im happy.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates

I agree that sodium is not inherent in carbs but when a majority of your diet is carb based and you cut our 80% of carbs from diet you are in turn cutting sodium from your diet is all I was getting at. I am not a fan of adding salt to my food so it caused an issue for me.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So Ive been checking my piss with the sticks. Im still in ketosis. But today its showing Im a little heavier (ketones) on the stick. From my research I guess that means that Im making (and pissing out) more ketones than I needed. Meaning Im eating too much fat or not exercising enough. Today was a slow day too.

Breakfast was 4 fried eggs and water.

Lunch was a son of baconator plain with no bun. - Didnt like it much just all meat.

Dinner was a 4oz piece of chicken with bbq sauce on it, and a wild cherry diet pepsi.

Now Im snacking on a Chocolate slimfast shake. These are awesome.

I will check again every morning. This morning I was down another pound and a half. Im also still drinking 96+ oz of water throughout the day.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Smaller portion sizes, eat cleaner, which includes staying away from fake sugars, food dyes, soy / any byproduct of soy, and any ingredient you cannot spell or heard of before.

Once I get to my goal weight, this is the plan. I dont plan on being on this forever, but I can easily maintain my weight eating clean. You are more than ok adding back sugars if you are not eating like I used to eat.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
Finally figuring this out. I wasn't getting enough fat and eating to much protein. Went three weeks not losing anything. Bought the test strips and they were barely reading. Talk to some people who have had great success on this plan and figured it out. Now I am reading pretty high on the strips getting more fat during the day. Now to hope the weight comes off.

Wife made a Strawberry swirl Fat Bomb dessert for me.....Yum!

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Finally figuring this out. I wasn't getting enough fat and eating to much protein. Went three weeks not losing anything. Bought the test strips and they were barely reading. Talk to some people who have had great success on this plan and figured it out. Now I am reading pretty high on the strips getting more fat during the day. Now to hope the weight comes off.

Wife made a Strawberry swirl Fat Bomb dessert for me.....Yum!

Reading high on the strips is not a good thing. That means you are expelling more ketones than you are using. So you are not eating enough fat or you are exercising too much. You should not be judging your performance on those strips. They are like pregnancy tests. You are either in ketosis or you are not. Being on the light end of the scale is actually what you want.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Oh and its still working for me too. Im down 17lbs since the 7th. Been eating like a monster too. Lots of fat and proteins. I get chipotle bowls with no rice and beans, and I get wendys baconators and so on. Plus I make a shit ton of eggs. Hotdogs are ok as well as pretty much any cheese. This has been an easy diet. And I drink Coke Zero when I need the sweet fix. Man I miss ice cream though. And chocolate.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
So I did this right before my birthday and lost like 5 lbs. in 4 days. My birthday hit and I fell off the wagon. Back on it this week, going through the keto flu for a 2nd time. This time isn't as bad as the first though. I plan to stick to around 20g carbs for 2 weeks in order to jump start ketosis then 4 weeks >50g. At this point I'll add in tomatoes and berries. After the 6 weeks of keto (basically stage 1 and 2 of atkins) I will transition to a balanced diet. I have about 60 lbs to lose. I gained back 20 since April. I am constantly up and down, I need to make permanent changes. Anyways Monster Ulta, Diet Pepsi and beef sticks are what keep me sane on keto.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So I did this right before my birthday and lost like 5 lbs. in 4 days. My birthday hit and I fell off the wagon. Back on it this week, going through the keto flu for a 2nd time. This time isn't as bad as the first though. I plan to stick to around 20g carbs for 2 weeks in order to jump start ketosis then 4 weeks >50g. At this point I'll add in tomatoes and berries. After the 6 weeks of keto (basically stage 1 and 2 of atkins) I will transition to a balanced diet. I have about 60 lbs to lose. I gained back 20 since April. I am constantly up and down, I need to make permanent changes. Anyways Monster Ulta, Diet Pepsi and beef sticks are what keep me sane on keto.

Nice Dan. I joined several Keto groups on Facebook and its helped to learn some neat stuff I can cook. Im down 22lbs total since last month. I bought a bunch of Atkins brand snacks (im a chocolate lover). And they are awesome. Their chocolate shakes and bars are great.

I still live off of bacon/eggs/chicken though. Just many variations of them. But its been an easy diet. Especially since I like coke zero now. I was a coke addict and this has been nice to have since no more sugar. Im going to stick with it.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Nice Dan. I joined several Keto groups on Facebook and its helped to learn some neat stuff I can cook. Im down 22lbs total since last month. I bought a bunch of Atkins brand snacks (im a chocolate lover). And they are awesome. Their chocolate shakes and bars are great.

I still live off of bacon/eggs/chicken though. Just many variations of them. But its been an easy diet. Especially since I like coke zero now. I was a coke addict and this has been nice to have since no more sugar. Im going to stick with it.

Bacon and eggs are breakfast everyday. I also snack on bacon. I'm don't have a big sweet tooth but pop is my vice. They say sucralose is better than aspartame so I drink diet pepsi. I prefer the taste of sucralose so it's been working out well for me. I eat a salad for lunch with chicken, cheese and some sort of high fat/low carb dressing. Avocados are good too. Dinner is usually a bunless bacon cheeseburger or steak.

Costco is my keto headquarters. Kirkland makes awesome bacon and hot dogs and the steaks are huge and fairly cheap. I love that I can eat all the fat off of a ribeye.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Bacon and eggs are breakfast everyday. I also snack on bacon. I'm don't have a big sweet tooth but pop is my vice. They say sucralose is better than aspartame so I drink diet pepsi. I prefer the taste of sucralose so it's been working out well for me. I eat a salad for lunch with chicken, cheese and some sort of high fat/low carb dressing. Avocados are good too. Dinner is usually a bunless bacon cheeseburger or steak.

Costco is my keto headquarters. Kirkland makes awesome bacon and hot dogs and the steaks are huge and fairly cheap. I love that I can eat all the fat off of a ribeye.

Remember you if you are trying to lose, you need to limit the fat/calories. I got a little heavy on the fats, and plateaued for almost two weeks. I had to back off the heavy fats for a bit and I started losing again. But once you get to your goal weight, you can go big again on the fats. Its such a delicate balance. I try to keep my calories 1400 or less. In a perfect world, 1000 is best for losing weight, for me at least.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Oh and Chipotle is still my go-to lunch. I get double chicken, sour cream and cheese only. Thats a good sized bowl and has 3g carbs only. 30g of fat, 72g of protein and only 575 calories. Plus I get a diet coke. Or bring my water bottle. That fills me up, and I usually make 8 pieces of bacon (low sodium), and 2-4 fried eggs for dinner most days.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Remember you if you are trying to lose, you need to limit the fat/calories. I got a little heavy on the fats, and plateaued for almost two weeks. I had to back off the heavy fats for a bit and I started losing again. But once you get to your goal weight, you can go big again on the fats. Its such a delicate balance. I try to keep my calories 1400 or less. In a perfect world, 1000 is best for losing weight, for me at least.
Only eating 1000 calories a day I would think is borderline unhealthy?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Do you guys have any idea how much sodium is in the foods you're eating? Have you taken your blood pressure during this "diet"? It seems like this is the most unhealthy way I have ever seen people approach weight loss. What about your vegetables? You can't live your whole life without eating carbs, your body needs carbs. You'll relapse (which it seems almost all of you have?) and you'll go carb crazy and gain all the weight right back.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Do you guys have any idea how much sodium is in the foods you're eating? Have you taken your blood pressure during this "diet"? It seems like this is the most unhealthy way I have ever seen people approach weight loss. What about your vegetables? You can't live your whole life without eating carbs, your body needs carbs. You'll relapse (which it seems almost all of you have?) and you'll go carb crazy and gain all the weight right back.

i didn't.

and yeah i monitored blood pressure.

i also ate a fuck ton of vegetables.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info