Eagle's wifey's new ride

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Ordered! :bigthumb:

Now someone talk to me about this JB4 deal and what I need to do with the charge pipe? :io:

Charge pipes are not all that necessary. Best bang for the buck is downpipes and dual cone filters. If you're going to run an e85 mix you won't benefit from having a FMIC unless it's strictly 93octane. As for tuning you can't go wrong with either a jb4 or mhd flash. I like the mid just because it's cheap and I don't need all the features the jb4 has. I use to use the jb4 with my other cars because I liked having a boost gauge, no lift shift, and 2step. If you want features get the jb4, of you want a good tune then get the mhd flash.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
So charge pipe failures don't happen? Seems like if you're going to tune it up and up the boost - that the plastic charge pipe that fails sometimes under stock boost levels would be more likely to fail... right?

mhd flash... looking into that. I don't need anything other than a SLIGHT tune up, certainly don't need 2 step or NLS. :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Oh man. This car is going to be fun...

So oil catch can? These engines consume oil, this is something I understand to be normal. Wouldn't it make sense to install a better catch can setup?

BMS Turbo Double Baffle Oil Catch Can

Also, looking at the MHD tunes, seems most folks run the DCI mod with their tune. Supposedly adds 15WHP without the tune :noes:

Burger Motorsports N54 Dual Cone Intake for BMW (DCI) - N54 135i 335i 535i Z4 - BurgerTuning.com

Or then there's this lil guy that is a bit more, but also give more power improvement and looks like a better CAI setup:

aFe POWER 54-11472 Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System | Engineered Adrenaline

So many stupid things to do to these cars!

What's needed to do the MHD tuning - equipment wise?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
On stock or tuned boost levels I haven't seen many chargepipes explode however I haven't been active on the boards lately. If you do throw a tune on it don't be discouraged if you have misfires. It's very common and could be either plugs, coils, carbon buildup, or injectors. You may not have an issue at stock boost levels but the issue is more pronounced at higher boost levels.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
So reading on this more... seems that the JB4 tuner is real straight forward to install.

Then again, the MHD tune is also easy to upload to the car with a simple stage 1 tune that does linear throttle (basically allows the car to make boost earlier) is supposed to improve quite a bit and only costs like $60 or something?

I think the USB cable will be here tonight... so I'll load up the MHD tuner software and see what it can do!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Also watched a handful of repair videos - the car doesn't seem that hard to work on.

I mean this "dreaded" injector job takes all of like 1.5hrs and the parts can be had for all sorts of different prices depending on where you buy from. Not to mention... I got an additional full set of "known good" injectors with the car.

I mean, what's the big deal? :hsugh:

The plugs will likely need to be changed if the boost is upped, but even that shouldn't be a big deal.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Thanks man! Pretty crazy how well it moves out once it shifts to second. Not sure if its the traction control or the factory non-linear throttle control (boost control) shit the car does that severely limits how much power it puts out in first.... but even with DTC (trac control off) the darn thing doesn't spin the tires if you mash it from a dig. :squint:

Need to fix that REAL fast.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Love BMWs... when they need work. Took it in for a checkup, ~$1100 later... she'll come back. Both VANOS solenoids replaced (30+ errors stored), coolant was ancient I guess, and new plugs getting installed.

It'll go back later for injectors and carbon cleaning. Sigh. Fucking car is lucky I like it so much already.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Love BMWs... when they need work. Took it in for a checkup, ~$1100 later... she'll come back. Both VANOS solenoids replaced (30+ errors stored), coolant was ancient I guess, and new plugs getting installed.

It'll go back later for injectors and carbon cleaning. Sigh. Fucking car is lucky I like it so much already.

Not going to say I told you...... But I told you lol. Bmw also likes to replace all injectors at once not just the failed part. That's a nice 2500 dollar bill coming your way as well.

But you have eagle stacks

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I won't be paying $2500 for injectors my man. The parts can be had for ~$1500. The work isn't hard to do and I've already got the cable to do the coding, so $1500 it is. Gotta pay to play, right?

:xzbit:

Just letting you know I am able to be adopted. With me comes 1 wife and 1 fat bulldog. I feed myself and purchase my own clothes.

I do require a car part allowance each month of 2000 dollars no less.

Please accept my application to become a child of eagle.

Sincerely lastls1

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
depositphotos_29980121-Application-denied-stamp.jpg

Thread Info