back when suburbans had real bumpers......

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
reman trans is like 600 bucks on ebay and i can get a 383 with alum heads for a grand that came out of a nova.

given the cheap entry price i can toss some money at it if need.

but yeah i just need heat and 4x4 until march thats all i care about.

5.7 350 with a 4l60 how hard can it be parts are everywhere.

sooooo glad i work in a shop now with lifts too so i can do crap in the evenings too my garage would barely fit the navigator we had.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Well put a brand new 800cca battery in this pig last night just cranks and cranks and cranks......

going to pound on the tank tonight and put some fresh gas in it and see if i can get it to move if not i will drag it to the shop where i work and get it on the 4 post lift here and figure out whats wrong.

cannot hear fuel pump when you turn the key so i dont think its coming on.

objective for this weekend is to get it driving.

its just a damn tbi 350 how hard can it be? :rofl:

gm wholeseller near me so got a feeling ill making a few visits to them.

running tally so far.

500 dollar tahoe
116 battery
no start issue $ ?

2k budget.

$1384 left.

ALL fluids will be swapped out, oil and filter, fuel filter, pan drop on trans, diffs changed, coolant flush and ill do whatever needed to make sure it blows like a furnace before winter comes.

hope it doesnt need a blower motor, heater core or rad.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Shoot some carb cleaner into the TBI and see if it starts.

Does the oil pressure guage come up after a few seconds and is it steady? Could be the sender and the fuel pump relay went out. If the carb cleaner starts it I would advise bypassing the FP relay (consult your Chiltons for the colors.) If that works both the sender and the relay should get replaced IMO.

Pump shouldn't be horribly expensive, but time consuming. I would take a pump as the cause of death gladly in this case because it means everything else is likely going to run if it's bad.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Well i have 4 post lifts and just about everything imaginable at work for tools so if i need to take the tank out im pretty sure ill just do the entire canister and everything all at once with parts from the gm acdelco wholeseller here.

not to worried if thats what ends up happening.

gauges come up but fuel gauge stays on E so figured id throw 5 gallons in and spray the tbi like you said and go from there.

at least it seems pretty dry under the hood and not leaking anything where its parked on the ground. will know more on that when it runs and i can get it on the 4 post.

ill post up some pics tonight of this thing.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Odd a vac leak would cause that unless it was to the MAP or something. Glad to hear it's running, the hard lines they used back then were known to crack though.

Hrmm dont think the vac leak caused the starting issue. I think putting gas in it and spraying starting fluid in it fixed that. Probably noticed vac leak after it was running :dunno:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
well got it over to the shop where i work. put 10 gallons in total and had to pound on the tank to get it to keep running.

so today fixed vac leak got it to the shop across town on its own power but doesnt idle very well its been sitting since 2013 when the tabs were expired so im picking up fuel pump fuel filter spark plugs wires air filter oil and filter today.

ill go from there once i get all this put in.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
at the dmv right now getting plates.

once im done here im going to the ac delco wholeseller to dump some money there for fuel pump. id like to do the whole canister drop in all at once so well see. maybe just pump strainer and filter :dunno: all depends on prices i guess.

items to address later

1. blower motor makes noise.

2. drivers side rear window doesnt roll down. not to big of a deal for winter whore.

3. passenger side rear door doesnt lock.

4. radio head unit doesnt light up.

5. drivers side door speaker makes noise while driving. im sure its blown vehicle has some rca cables laying in the back id assume some one had a jiggaboom box in the back.

6. will need tires before winter but not until balljoints/suspension and alignment

7. steering pump? rack? fluid? dunno strong arm steering right now.

8. brakes seem ok but soft and need to be bleed at least they dont shake when stopping though.

driving up and down the interstate so it needs to be some what civil driving.

wonder how long this 2k budget will last? :noes:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
a944c50e6014c00a77a95e50ea040cf4.jpg

c0f79938cd53d6895b58a60e69155a19.jpg

05bfbf2394c58e5eccc021dec93a3468.jpg

ce1519a918bf985383cef721b43b057e.jpg

6c8b9d07c2016b694fa9a97c88681096.jpg

heres the pics and cost breakdown so far.

$500 vehicle
$119 battery
$119 tax title reg. plates god i love North Dakota! :fy:
$149 air filter fuel filter plugs wires cap rotor blower motor and resistor. :fy: Ac delco whole sale store.
$179 oem delphi pump assembly. canister, strainer, pump, harness. drop in unit.

total so far.

$1066

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
:nice: she's a pretty damn clean machine.

I think at this rate you could be below 2K if you're doing your own work with exception to tires which will push you a few hundro over.

Some JY parts should get you back where you need to be. If you need a steering box you may see if you can do the Jeep Grand Cherokee box swap (pretty much all the Saginaw boxes are the same form factor, the Grand Cherokees of a certain year are 14:1 high ratio.) Then again you may stick fluid in it and find out you need a $20 hose if it's making a whirring noise, or if it 's not that something on your pump has broken and that's probably a $50 wonder for a reman if not a JY item.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
If you need a steering box you may see if you can do the Jeep Grand Cherokee box swap (pretty much all the Saginaw boxes are the same form factor, the Grand Cherokees of a certain year are 14:1 high ratio.)

This is interesting to me since a common upgrade on Grand Cherokee's is going to a durango box for a better ratio and thicker mounting tabs. What year's are you referencing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info