WTB - Gaming PC

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
That’s a great article. Makes a lot of sense. Just finished watching the Matrix trilogy with my three boys. Remember when they data dumped Neo with all the knowledge on fighting styles. Or when Trinity called and asked for an upload on how to fly a Huey.

Sure wish I could get something like that to get me up to speed on 2018 PC tech. LMAO!!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-hard-drive-black-red/5781146.p?skuId=5781146

What do you guys think of this guy?? Maybe upgrade the RAM down the road to 16GB.
Not bad other then the cpu fan i would upgrade. Its also first generation of the Ryzen (1xxx series, 2xxx is the newer gen.)

The GTX1060 is a solid card. @1080p resolutions he will have no problem playing the games on high or ultra graphics settings.

If you want to game in 4k with high/ultra settings, I'd go with a 1070 minimum, 1080 better choice and the newer 20xx Nvidia GPUs being the best for 4k gaming right now.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-hard-drive-black-red/5781146.p?skuId=5781146

What do you guys think of this guy?? Maybe upgrade the RAM down the road to 16GB.

I think for the money you'd be better off with this (if you want to buy and be done w/ it instead of building):
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...lid-state-drive-black/6290721.p?skuId=6290721

Newer generation ryzen, the r5 2600 comes very close to the r7 1700 (since the 1700 is the first generation processor). Plus the cheaper machine comes with 2x the hdd space (both ssd and hdd). The rx580 is comparable to the 1060- especially with entry level gaming like forkknife.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Not bad other then the cpu fan i would upgrade. Its also first generation of the Ryzen (1xxx series, 2xxx is the newer gen.)

The GTX1060 is a solid card. @1080p resolutions he will have no problem playing the games on high or ultra graphics settings.

If you want to game in 4k with high/ultra settings, I'd go with a 1070 minimum, 1080 better choice and the newer 20xx Nvidia GPUs being the best for 4k gaming right now.

Agreed. My 1070 can handle the unoptimized PUBG decently close to 100 FPS on most max settings in 1080. Fortnite should be a walk in the park.

Id probably buy a 2070 over a 1080 though if I were shopping new.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Have been running 2 of them so far for 8? Years now. My main machine is a year old, running solid, my one that it replaced still has the aio water cooler in it and it's rock solid after 8 or so years.

Dude get on that wagon. Ive had the corsair h100i for over 3-4 years now..gone through 2 processors. Super reliable and amazing cooling. Zerrrrooo leaks. Highly recommend it. Eventually ill get another for my server (although the upgraded cpu fan does well...but water cooling is better.)

Before the AIO i had a dedicated cpu water system on the top of the pc...fucking tank...leaked after a year....never again.

So is Corsair the one to get? I've gone back and forth on AIO systems for awhile now and haven't been able to get myself to pull the trigger. I'm just not sure what would fit inside my case. If the top vent of my case supports 2 120mm fans would one w/ a dual 120mm fan setup work?

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Nobody cares about 40w...its cents per month for an average user...and the cpu savings usually outweighs the power savings. Even running 24/7...it would take a year to equal 42$ in savings...

Now if it was 400w.. that's a different story.

TDP isn't energy usage. Its heat output expressed in watts. The higher the TDP, the more heat the CPU produces under daily workloads. My 4790k has a TDP of 88w. So during average workload's (not full bore gaming) it produces about 300 btu/hr. Which ultimately isn't a lot at all in terms of heating up your room. But in the much smaller computer case with maybe poor ventilation that means it might heat-soak and cause the CPU to thermal and throttle CPU speeds to keep temps in check.

What I was getting at is that if you have a thermally inefficient chip, you might want a better cooling system to maintain quiet operation during heavy loads. Nothing special is needed, any of the quality and well known silent air-coolers will handle the workloads on a stock clocked chip without imposing any thermal CPU speed throttling. None of the OEM cooling HSF solutions I know of can deal with the CPU's at 100% load without incurring thermal throttling.

Almost every single aftermarket air-cooler should be able to keep a non-overclocked CPU operating at full speeds, including the Turbo Boost clock speeds. Some will be noise than others.

As far as energy? Most modern PC's barely make a ding on an energy bill. I don't notice my Media Server. My Plex Media Server, which runs 24/7, 365 days a year, idles around 80 watts, it costs me about $100 per year. This is with an older i7-4790k, 2 HBA SAS cards, 6 fans, 6x 3.5" 8TB HDs, and 8x 256GB SSDs. The SAS cards are surprisingly heavy hitters averaging about 10w each.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Its here! Spose i'll shut the computer off and let it cool down and try and get this bitch in after lunch. This is good cuz it was time for me to open this up and blow the dust out anyways. :rofl:
The h100i is an awesome value. I think mines going on 4 years now and no issues. Yours is cooler because of the lights....mine is just white :tear:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Welp. Fail. Theres just NOT quite enough space to make this thing work. On the left side that cpu cable juts out and wont allow me to mount the fan to the radiator, and on the right side my memory is in the way and wont allow me to mount the other fan.

e4SJSpO.jpg

3fT6uhf.jpg

And while I do have all the correct mounting holes up top, the radiator is just a bit large to allow it to sit flush against the top of the case. Only way for me to get it flush is to move it forward a little, which then only allows me to secure it w/ 2 screws in the middle. :rofl: PLUS the only way to even get it in all, I would've had to mount it so the Corsair lettering on the pump would've been upside down. If my case were just a TINY bit taller I think it would've worked.

Sooooo, I guess I could try and return this. OR I could try and find a new case :rofl: Problem is I pretty much have to stick to a mid case because where my computer sits, there really isn't room for a full case. But who knows, maybe there's a mid case out there w/ a better layout to accomodate this.

Guess I can go play RDR now.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Welp. Fail. Theres just NOT quite enough space to make this thing work. On the left side that cpu cable juts out and wont allow me to mount the fan to the radiator, and on the right side my memory is in the way and wont allow me to mount the other fan.

e4SJSpO.jpg

3fT6uhf.jpg

And while I do have all the correct mounting holes up top, the radiator is just a bit large to allow it to sit flush against the top of the case. Only way for me to get it flush is to move it forward a little, which then only allows me to secure it w/ 2 screws in the middle. :rofl: PLUS the only way to even get it in all, I would've had to mount it so the Corsair lettering on the pump would've been upside down. If my case were just a TINY bit taller I think it would've worked.

Sooooo, I guess I could try and return this. OR I could try and find a new case :rofl: Problem is I pretty much have to stick to a mid case because where my computer sits, there really isn't room for a full case. But who knows, maybe there's a mid case out there w/ a better layout to accomodate this.

Time for a new case

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

e4SJSpO.jpg

3fT6uhf.jpg

What kind of size constraints are we talking here?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
What kind of size constraints are we talking here?

As far as....how much room I have for my case to sit? My current one sits about 18" tall w/ the feet on it, which i keep on since the air intake for the power supply is on the bottom of the case. I have room for maaayybe 18.5" MAX height.

As for the cooler it probably wouldve worked if my motherboard was about a half inch lower....but then it would run into my power supply.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info