šŸ„ Health Workout chat

I used to work out in high school. I'm a short guy 5'5" I played football so I had to work out like mad to keep myself from getting pushed all over the field. My freshman year I weighed 125 LBS. By the end of my freshman year I was benching 225. By my Senior year I was 165 LBS got 300 once. Now I'm about 185 LBS. My neighbor once said I was built like a bull dog. Guess it's because I'm short and droll all the time or something. :)

After High School I have not touched any weights. My brother has one of those Bow Flex things. I benched the entire weight limit of the machine X10 just to show off in front of him. I could not move my arms for about 3 days. My wife kept punching me and thought it was funny. She said it served me right.

I got down to 155 back in 2001. We went to Hawaii and my wife started Jenny Craig at work with some of the other women. So she started buying different food and I started eating better just cause she was, ya know to support her. She lost about 20 LBS ( I don't know where from ) and I lost about 35 LBS

After we got home from Hawaii we said to hell with the diet......then she got pregnant and all hell broke lose. If I was all skinny again she would hate me I think. After two kids I just cant find the motivation to do anything, I just ride my bike every once and a while

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
What's that? Stella Artois?
images

I'm on it!

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Im 5'9 175 lbs and really want to be at 165ish. Yesterday I warmed up with 25 pushups, then hit the flat bench with 115 15x, then went straight to 225 6x, then dropped 20 lbs each of the next 3 sets to failure, then did pushups till failure. Rested for 10 minutes and then did 2 sets of 25 fly's with 25lb dumbells. Pretty sore today. I really dont have a set goal, I just want to be stronger. I remember about 6 years ago I would practically kill myself with 45's on the bar..lol WEAK ass! :s00ls: still kinda weak now IMO

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
androgel.jpg

I can get you this!

that was definitely the best part of this thread. nice one.

you really need to start logging what you are doing eagleman (i've got something for YOOOooo.....sorry)
1) it provides motivation as you can see the gains in weight or reps
2) it allows for you to create a plan (come on turbo fabber...you have to plan everything out first before you go out and play right?)

with your time constraints...it'll be hard.

my opinion: stop using the assisted lift machine (the smith machine).
1)the one at the gym i go to has a lighter bar than normal
2) its fake strength...sure you can put up higher weights, but it doesn't strengthen your grip and forearm strength (balancing)
3) it doesn't help with your shoulders (stabilizing the bar above your chest)

all of that combined will get you so much better results even if you do 150 pounds less. i guarantee it.

start doing lifts on the ground if there is no bench, cross your feet and put your knees in the air...try and make your back as flat as possible

and IMO chest is the most useless part of your body. but that's just me, and could be because chest is my weak spot and i have to bust my ass for 3 hours just to get a decent workout (i guess us desert people are made for endurance and not outright strength...in terms of chest at least. my back shoulders and legs are full of camel power!)

good luck and props to you for trying to better yourself.

boost jockey.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I just need to work out. Need to do cardio before any lifting. I might do toning before I start bulking.

Toning = more reps of less weight.

Bulking = More weight and less reps.

Least thats what I learned in weight training in HS. Still wish I was forced to work out. :rofl: I tried Wii fit and it pissed me off. I know a couple buddies at work were raving about P90X.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
'Bulking' is usually considered to be more-so the process of just putting on weight/consuming more calories than normal during a lifting phase. You'd be adding body-fat, but also putting on muscle.

But yes, Fish- the common belief is more weight/less reps will produce better strength gains/mass.. (such as the 5x5 programs). They've done studies, but its been years since ive really been into any of this, so I'm not really up to date :dunno:

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
What weight do the dumbbells go up to?? You can target any muscle group you want with a full set of dumbbells, there are so many exercises out there. I am glad you are getting into this because you are one naturally strong SOB. I would just start benching that old 7.5 rear axle in the garage!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I've got the p90x stuff. But #1 it's hard to get enuf time and #2 it KICKS MY ASS!

In my opinion P90X = Bowflex = Total Gym = Bowflex Power Rod = Treadmill = Thai-Bo = etc.....

Do any type of workout and you will see results if you are consistent and work hard.

That is a really good set of dumbbells, although for bench it could be a little bit higher. But for what you are doing right now it will be great. When the 85 lbs. dumbbells become pretty easy just up your repetitions. I have the 80 lbs. at my house and use them for flat bench to mix it up and they work great. I used to do the 75 lbs. dumbells for incline back in college and I loved the stretch I got in my chest.

Thread Info