Why Pontiac?

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
Why not kill Pontiac?
Let's face it,there's a reason the division is a joke.Besides two cars,the rest of Pontiac is literally the worst of GMs cars.The G6 is the least-refined Epsilon car,the G3 is a joke on wheels,and the G5 is a Cobalt clone.

GMC has a purpose-to sell trucks or trucklike cars.
Chevys purpose-the everymans car
Cadillacs purpose-baller luxury cars
Buicks purpose-not so baller luxury cars
Pontiacs purpose:???????
Saturn's purpose:a duplicate of Chevys
Hummers:a duplicate of GMCs

Think- of all the Pontiacs on this site all but one are discontinued.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Like hell they are. They are all called a Chevy Corvette. All of them have the Corvette name. They all have the same bodystyle. However, the bodycladding and engine is different. This is the same argument you are having with KJ over trucks.

Please there are many differences between and base vette and a Z06 and even more between a base vette and ZR1. In addition to the engine, suspension, wheels, tires, and body enhancements, many small things are also changed that probably go unnoticed to the average newb like painted brake calipers. I don't really think the price increase is justified either, you are paying for the Z06/ZR1 name.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
? i'd say the upgrade from a base corvette to a z06 is a decent climb in price vs the upgrades.... now an upgrade from a z06 to a zr1? you are definitely paying for the name and exclusive rights to that car.

fwiw a few months back MT did a comparison test between the 3 corvette levels to see which is the better buy, and the newest base model with an LS3 won

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
? i'd say the upgrade from a base corvette to a z06 is a decent climb in price vs the upgrades.... now an upgrade from a z06 to a zr1? you are definitely paying for the name and exclusive rights to that car.

fwiw a few months back MT did a comparison test between the 3 corvette levels to see which is the better buy, and the newest base model with an LS3 won

If we all bought what we needed and not what we wanted we'd all be driving Model Ts still.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Please there are many differences between and base vette and a Z06 and even more between a base vette and ZR1. In addition to the engine, suspension, wheels, tires, and body enhancements, many small things are also changed that probably go unnoticed to the average newb like painted brake calipers. I don't really think the price increase is justified either, you are paying for the Z06/ZR1 name.

Same can be said for the GMC VS Chevy trucks yet you are too hard headed to even think about that. The Vettes however are just that Vettes. They are the same car.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Blank-Facepalm.gif

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
i'm talking about you crying over getting flamed for your opinion. thats what i'm laughing over. i could care less about this debate

couldn't the phrase is: i couldn't care less
:werd:

I give up. Everyone understands everyone else cept panda. He is a lost cause.

:noes: we has a lost panda on the loose?

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
I can see why they would/ are going to keep GMC. Their line of trucks seem to appeal to the working class. When my buddy was looking for a diesel 4x4 extended cab with the bare minimum, he cheeked Chevy than GMC. The GMC models were cheaper, and fit his needs more than the Chevys.

GMC is generally more expensive than Chevy...

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I think that Panda is missing the point about GMC. I understand that you may see more 1500 Silverados, Trailblazers, Tahoes on the road over 1500 Sierra, Envoy, Yukon, ect and think it is stupid to keep GMC because they look the same and are priced more. You are not GM, and GM sees profit in GMC from the commerical line of trucks and Heavy Duty trucks. I know GMC outsells Chevy in that truck department. GMC makes trucks, they are known as GMs truck brand and that is not going to change. I would that that GM makes big money from the GMC commerical truck line because those trucks are expensive as fuck.

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
^^^Agreed
2008 sales of the GMC Sierra were 169,000 units,according to the wsj.

Compare that to the division sales of Pontiac in 2008 of 267,348 units.
Not only did the entire Pontiac division get outsold to spare by two trucks (Chevy Silverado 465,500 +GMC Sierra sales ),but GM probably made more money in profit from those trucks than the entire Pontiac lineup combined.
Money talks,and bullshit walks.That is why Pontiac is dead,and GMC aint.

Wsj link
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123989177238225323.html

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
shit... arent there like gmc busses also...

ya ya ..... dump trucks, semi like trucks, and all sorts of stuff.

In actuality, in this case, GMC only supplies the chassis upon which the bus, dump truck, etc. is built.

GMC does not handle building these itself, but will often sell the finished product. The only exception is where they put a pickup bed on the Topkick to make a giant pickup truck... I believe that it is a Sierra Dually bed...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info