Why did Metallica's LOAD get so much hate?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
mwKWJvj.jpg

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Bands arent allowed to change or experiment? Like I said, I was never a die hard so I'm not trying to convince you guys to change...just trying to understand.

Nothing to really understand, the music changed and wasn't the same as some people enjoyed.

I'm sure there's some people out there who think the new stuff is great and the old stuff is horrible... I think it mostly has to do with when you first started listening to them.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I blame Lars for all of it. He's a greedy fuck who led the band into radio-friendly ballads while playing the most basic ass bitch drum lines that a highschool band could use for intro lessons.

I just brought this up to my brother and friend here at work who are huge old Metallica fans and they couldn't agree more... HAHA

Heck, I remember dropping them off at Popular Creek Music Theatre to see And Justice for All tour... God I'm old.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
As horrible as that album was, I actually like the song "frantic".

For me, the reason I dont enjoy post-black album stuff as much as the early stuff is because they tuned the guitars down a half step and James sings in a lower key. Of course this may have been out of necessity, but listening to them play the older stuff live now makes me want to punch babies.... It loses the power when you sing it down low

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I enjoy the pre-Black album stuff. Black is favorite ever, and I love almost every song on Load / Re-Load. S&M is more of a anthology type album with its split of songs. But I love Symphony mixed with rock/metal stuff. Anything after Re-load i don't enjoy too much, but I don't hate it either.

I don't have all of the albums, but enjoy MoP, RtL and a few others.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I was one of those "die hard fans", justice and puppets were my all time favorite albums every song just kicked ass. Black was pretty good and I didn't mind load/reload all that much but I didn't "hate" it but I couldn't say I loved every song on those albums.

The whole going mainstream and pissing on its fans for using napster and then changing their look and style of music to be more hip killed it for their die hard fans myself included. I stopped listening to any of their new shit.

I heard St. anger on the radio and thought what kind of shit is this and then realized it was Metallica... I just couldn't believe such utter crap was made by a band whose music I used to love. There may be a few songs on their later albums that weren't half bad but I couldn't name any of them for the life of me.

Fuck Lars I wouldn't piss on that twat if he was on fire.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I really like Load and Reload. Its not my favorite albums, but they arent as terrible as people say they are IMO.

St. Anger is my least fav album. After that it is Kill em all. Some good songs, but whiney 14 year old James screaming HIT THE LIGHTS! doesnt do it for me.

Master of Puppets
...And Justice for all
Ride the Lightning
Black
Load/Reload
Death Magnetic
Kill 'Em All

Crap I just took

St. Anger

Thats probably how I rank the albums.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
In regards to Mooks original question:

Load has a negative appeal because of the following reasons in my mind:
1. The band takes a 4 year break between load and the single-happy black album. I think more was to be expected out of load. The original thrash fans expected Metallica to go back to their roots. Instead they cut their hair and produced more radio-friendly rock.

2 Bob Rock. Fuck this guy. He's worse than Lars. He's probably the prick that kept whispering in his ear

3. Lars and his vision of the future.

4. 10 years past Cliffs death. Jason Newsted wasn't a band member. He just played bass.

5. Most importantly. No drugs/booze. I think they lost inspiration when they lost the ability to get fucking wasted and break shit.

Just my .02

I think if they changed the name of the band-everyone would've loved load

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
In regards to Mooks original question:

Load has a negative appeal because of the following reasons in my mind:
1. The band takes a 4 year break between load and the single-happy black album. I think more was to be expected out of load. The original thrash fans expected Metallica to go back to their roots. Instead they cut their hair and produced more radio-friendly rock.

2 Bob Rock. Fuck this guy. He's worse than Lars. He's probably the prick that kept whispering in his ear

3. Lars and his vision of the future.

4. 10 years past Cliffs death. Jason Newsted wasn't a band member. He just played bass.

5. Most importantly. No drugs/booze. I think they lost inspiration when they lost the ability to get fucking wasted and break shit.

Just my .02

I think if they changed the name of the band-everyone would've loved load

BINGO!!!!!!

And like said, they were a thrash band. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING beats the riffs from the 1st three albums.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info