Food / Drink What's for Dinner? (Sous Vide Edition)

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
that was probably a minute or two. i cooked 6 filets that night.

again, its worth mentioning but i have the benefit of an oven in my garage that i give 0 fucks about how much smoke i create with... and i used torch & pan at the same time on those.

I'm going to try the torch soon.

The other thing I saw which looked great was setting the weber grate right on top of the charcoal chimney and just searing over that. It looked perfect.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Another trick is to let the meat rest/cool a bit before searing. A lower meat temp. means more sear time without graying the inside as much.

I'm still looking for the best way to get intense heat into the sear. So far, a HOT charcoal grill is best.

I'm wondering if holding the meat over a charcoal chimney starter would be even better. I bet that chimney flame is hot enough to sear well.

Maybe I'll buy a cheap one like this and try it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IH0ICG/?tag=tcg21-20

EDIT: Ha Ha, Tree'd

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
On my lanai (covered patio). I set the chimney starter on the grill figuring that was a safe spot. Nope, the overhead patio roof that comes out just that far before it switches over to screening was above it and started melting.

That was when I was new to Florida and lanais. You only do that once. LOL

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
xQ5d9in.jpg

eJZbcs4.jpg

3mrO9a2.jpg

Two hours at 140* in the Sous Vide, followed by searing over the charcoal chimney. Came out great.

I look forward to trying this with some quality prime cuts.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Sous Vide Everything has an episode where they cook identical steaks for different times. 2 Hrs., 6 hrs., 12 hours and 24 hours.

The 2 hrs. steak wins for steak flavor/texture. 6 hrs. is 2nd with the seasoning going all through the meat. 12 hours is more tender but more roast tasting and 24 hrs. is very tender and still more roasty.

I just did a prime tenderloin at 135* for 2 hrs. and it's phenomenal.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Yeah, everything I've done before was right around an hour. I noticed that, on thicker cuts, certain parts would be slightly rarer than other parts. So I figured it just needed more time to get up to temperature...Plus I figured it would help tenderize it a little more as well.

It worked great between that and searing over the chimney. Definitely the best steak I've ever cooked...And I'd imagine it would be a lot better with a nicer-quality cut.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm spoiled on Prime cuts now. They cost twice as much but they're twice as good. Plus, I think more of the meat is edible. I don't throw away nearly as much of a steak when it's Prime. With Choice cuts or worse, I might have to toss 1/3rd of the steak because it's gristle or tough fat. With Prime, especially cuts like loin (by me it's $15.98 a lb.), I can eat almost everything so a 1/2 lb. steak is enough. Doesn't make the dog happy, though. LOL

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I don't know what's going on with Sam's Club lately. Suddenly, they have Prime meat all over the department. Somebody in corporate must have decided offering Prime cuts would be a good thing.

I was shopping at my local Sam's and came across this Prime brisket. Couldn't pass it up for $43.

I'll sous vide it for 60 hours, maybe in a week or two.

0VnqFvV.jpg

XY6Z9jm.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Teaser for dinner today.

Sous Vide cooking 3 slabs of ribs for 20 hours at 150* and then smoking for a couple hours with pecan wood. I'll finish the ribs on high heat on the Weber.

I'm trying Guga's homemade rub today. I actually had Turmeric in my pantry. LOL. Here's his rub video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omXFw_JnP4E

Teaser (I double bagged the ribs because of not wanting them to leak during the long cook time):

j9d8czC.jpg

Ribs with mustard and Guga rub:

t5WcaQb.jpg

Anova warming up:

BPVo9Wg.jpg

Ribs tucked into the cooker. They fit OK in this large container that I got on Amazon:

LM0HLIV.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info