Food / Drink What's for Dinner? (Sous Vide Edition)

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Etktjx1.jpg

jaiNkbn.jpg

Did a porterhouse and a strip steak in the new sous vide. They came out great. I want to try searing with a torch next time, I'm not a fan of the cast iron.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My burgers were cooked at 136* for 2 hours.

I'm getting better at this. I seasoned with Lawry's, pepper and onion powder before sealing them in the bags. Re-seasoned with Lawry's before searing them in cast iron. I want to try my charcoal grill next time and sear them over direct, high heat.

So juicy. Good flavor. Not the best burgers I ever had but better than $15-$20 burgers in a decent restaurant. They need more sear and more adjusting the seasonings to be perfect.

BsRfN8S.jpg

YEIbtWO.jpg

VMEYFM5.jpg

EHQfuT1.jpg

So full... My son didn't show up so I ate his, too. I may increase the heat a bit next time. That'll move them from rare to medium/rare.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
I am defrosting this in the fridge right now. I probably should have started yesterday, but oh well. I was trying to have this for Christmas, but I will do the wagyu New York strips I have instead. I will have to cook this for almost 3 days. Stay tuned.

The ranch that has these cows is around 15 minutes from my place, so it is local to me. Kind of nice to have quality meat right down the road from me even though I am forced to order it online and have it shipped from the processing place.

View attachment 36479View attachment 36480

Can you post raw pics of your NY strips? Lets see some of that awesome marbling.

I recently got some waygu rib eyes. Its not even like steak.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Early Christmas present.

My son, Eric, knew I was making sous vide ribs for Christmas Eve so he gave the large container and lid to me early when I told him I was concerned about fitting 3 slabs in my original container. This one is twice the size. Large meats like ribs and brisket will easily fit. :bigthumb:

Hmngyha.jpg

You can see how much bigger this one is:

iJ80Er2.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Early Christmas present.

My son, Eric, knew I was making sous vide ribs for Christmas Eve so he gave the large container and lid to me early when I told him I was concerned about fitting 3 slabs in my original container. This one is twice the size. Large meats like ribs and brisket will easily fit. :bigthumb:

Hmngyha.jpg

You can see how much bigger this one is:

iJ80Er2.jpg

welcome to the big leagues! i just need to get myself one of those covers

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm following the Sous Vide Everything recipe for my dinner tomorrow.

3 hours smoking in the Weber, 21 hours at 150* sous vide and then finishing on a direct heat charcoal grill.

2 1/2 hours in. Wood chip foil packs are in the back over the flame.

qKwhFqi.jpg

Some light added.

nX1NKBC.jpg

EDIT: Sitting outside and the pecan wood smell is making me hungry. Almost time to pull them.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yes, you can. Some of the smell permeates through the bags and the water. You have to get close but the smell is there. (Or, maybe, one of the bags was leaking a little but I didn't have any extra water in any of the bags when I took them out.) When I opened the bags up, the good smell exploded out.

These ribs turned out great. Really juicy and tender. Finishing them on a charcoal grill was the right move. Thumbs up from the entire family.

aP21u1z.jpg

No smoke ring but mild smoky flavor and melt in your mouth tenderness. Sweet Baby Ray's for the sauce.

S3spAsq.jpg

Would I use this method again? Definitely for the tenderness and juiciness. I'll probably go with a stronger wood than pecan next time to get more smokiness.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info