Food / Drink What's for Dinner? (Sous Vide Edition)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I think the odor molecules may be small enough to fit through the plastic molecules. Bigger water molecules don't get in much. I had one rack double bagged because I wasn't happy with the first bag seal. The other two were single bagged.

I had to lift the lid and sniff right above the ribs to smell them. Once I opened the bags, the whole kitchen smelled good.

The charcoal grill sear worked great. I will be using that small grill more in the future rather than using my gas Weber (not enough flame to sear) or cast iron pans (only work well with flat foods).

I loaded up the baby Weber, charcoal grill with a lot of charcoal so the ribs were right above very high heat. Only took a minute or so per side and less than that for the sauce. Don't walk away from them or they will burn. The charcoal sear gave the ribs that real, grilled flavor. I tried a piece right after the sous vide and it was too bland so they need to be seared. Charcoal sear fixed that.

I have ribs left over and a delicious single muscle ham so it's a toss up what I'm going to eat for a snack tonight. I'm impressed with the more expensive single muscle ham that I got at Sam's. Less than 2% water or other additives and great, not too salty, ham taste. Worth the extra $$. I think it was like $14 for a 3 lb. ham. All meat since you don't have the connective fat/tissue and tons of added salt/water you get with cheaper hams.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I was looking at Sam's Club meat and this package jumped out. Before going any further, take a look at the meat and tell me what you think.

R79IgVB.jpg

Looks like lower grade Wagyu, right?

Supposedly it's Prime Loinstrip. Weird thing is none of the other packages looked anything like this one. They looked like strip steak without a lot of fat. I'm wondering why this one is different?

I'm going to sous vide it at 131 for an hour and a half then sear it. Maybe tonight if I have time.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
OK guys. I have discovered meat perfection in sous vide cooking.

Take a pork butt, chop it up into 2-3" sections. Toss it in a bag (or 2) with quartered and squeezed oranges, onions, garlic, salt and pepper, cumin, chili powder, lime juice and a spoonful of lard.

Double bag it. Mine leaked so I'm glad I had it double bagged.

24 hours at 165*.

Remove the veggies and juice and spread the pork on a broiler pan or two. Chop it up into bite size pieces. Won't take much chopping because the meat is TENDER.

Broil on high until you get some caramelization on the pork. Flip the meat over and broil the other side.

If you want to do true carnitas, heat up a taco shell and add meat, sweet onion, cilantro and fresh lime juice. You can also treat it like a pork taco and add whatever you want.

I'm telling you without exaggeration, this is some of the best meat I have ever eaten. So tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Hint of orange flavor along with the cumin/chili powder heat.

Damn, this was good. I had people over last night so I didn't take pics. Here's the remainder of the entire pork butt that I threw in the broiler for lunch.

Make this. You won't regret it.

WLG2i5B.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Fettuccine Alfredo with some strip steaks. I really want to start finishing the steaks on a red hot Weber...I think it'll come out a lot better than the cast iron skillet.

Fpdp2ho.jpg

you likely already know this but really pat your steaks dry as possible before you go to sear, you'll get a lot better sear out of it if they are as dry as absolutely possible on the outside.... cuz you got a good amount of carry over cooking there- likely from trying to sear it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info