what was your worst job?

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
I don't think i had a job i hated. Just employers i hated.

One of my favorites was when i was in high school, i worked at party city. The manager was a long time friend of my dads (and me). So we hired all my friends as well and it became an extremely awesome place to be (minus the customers). They still talk about how we would throw parties after hours and just fuck around. At the same time we got everything done on time and from what i hear we still have the best corporate visits that store had ever seen. Even the DM was impressed with how clean and well functioning the store was.

Ah, memories.

Another thing i remember from the above was that we were all jealous of the best buy employees. Because they got paid more and it was freaking best buy (in the 90s).

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I worked at American Eagle Outfitters in the Geneva Commons for about 2 months when I was in high school.

I kinda just showed up, walked around and straightened up/distressed clothing. Mostly worked the back for changing room duty. People would ask if there were certain shoe sizes and I would go in the back and it was a complete mess. I would give up easily. I would also get talked to about how my AE clothes I was wearing was from a prior season/line... so dumb.

Retail sucked, Americans Eagle store managers sucked, and American Eagle customers sucked.

About 4-5 years later, I came to find out that I was part of a class action suit against American Eagle as they forced us to wear their clothing as uniforms, but made us pay for the clothes. I think I got like $800 for that. $800 was a good chunk of what my total pay from AE ever was!

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Detassling corn when I was 13. No matter what rain gear I wore the dew would soak my clothes, then you’d be walking miles through corn fields in 90+ degree weather with wet jeans chafing your legs the rest of the day.

This was mine. Detassling blows. The Jr high I went to set it up. Had to be at the school at like 5am to go get wet and then get hot. I was doing as I was told and something got messed up, to this day I don’t know what. All I know is it wasn’t in the rows I was working. I got a new one ripped, as did a buddy of mine, he was near the row I was. This teacher ripped a bunch of us and more than half of us had nothing to do with it. So my buddy and I said fuck this, went to the bus, ate our lunches, then grabbed a few goodies from other lunches on the bus. I think I did it for a week.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Telemarketing. I lasted 1 week.

I'm calling on behalf of the sheriff's association.

Company kept 60% of what they brought in, and there was no guarantee the people we were calling were even in the area of where the other 40% was going.

Same thing but I think I lasted three days before I said fuck this shit. :bowrofl:

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Probably when I drove a truck hauling overweight containers. 12-16 hour days, constant tire blow outs, terminals were a rat race, junk chassis, and because the truck was set up for overweight when you were empty it drove like a tank. Made 6 figures but was damn near working two full time jobs lmao.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
This was mine. Detassling blows. The Jr high I went to set it up. Had to be at the school at like 5am to go get wet and then get hot. I was doing as I was told and something got messed up, to this day I don’t know what. All I know is it wasn’t in the rows I was working. I got a new one ripped, as did a buddy of mine, he was near the row I was. This teacher ripped a bunch of us and more than half of us had nothing to do with it. So my buddy and I said fuck this, went to the bus, ate our lunches, then grabbed a few goodies from other lunches on the bus. I think I did it for a week.

I realized that job sucked when I saw that they had convicts working the same fields we were. I lasted a whole week also and was able to buy a new rear wheel and a pad set for my BMX bike.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i actually had fun at my first 16 year old job at mcdonalds, the people i worked with made it fun.

i was a data entry zombie at a company called weekenders, which i don't believe is in business any longer. i took the job as a temp and didn't know any better about how temp jobs worked or negotiating salary or anything. i think i was 19? the temp agency i think was charging 14/15 for me and i was earning maybe half that, in 1999 or so.

i basically read credit cards off of order forms for clothes and typed in the credit card numbers into our system. for hours every day. my brain would totally go into zombie mode where somehow an hour would go by and i wouldn't really know what even happened but be done with a stack. openly wondering if i screwed everything up, although if the credit card number was bad it wouldn't be accepted and would ding. so then i'd move on to the next stack... i only did this job one summer.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
interior detailer at delta sonic 2002

was there for like a year or so. pay was ok. especially because of the tips.
people can be disgusting. i had this one bitch drive her soccermom mobile in with her kids vomit all over the inside. i gave her the rag and cleaner and told her to clean it herself. im not touching your kids bodily fluids. in turn, i got written up for that.
got written up a few more times by the manager of the interior detail shop, who was like 2 years older than me for reporting $0 in tips. my argument was "prove it". he didnt believe me. oh well...

i was hired part time, i had marked myself unavailable on weekends FOREVER. that came to a stop, so i had to start doing saturdays/sundays

lined up a new job at Jiffy Lube, more pay, plus commission.

next really nice weather saturday delta was busy AF. me and 2 other highschool buddies that actually all went to jiffy lube, shut the line down, tossed our badges at the manager and walked out. it was the best feeling in the world at that time.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Landscaping. at age 16. just so I could have gas money for IROC.

All white crew, company owned by 3 brothers who were jehovah's. I started on a crew doing an all brick driveway. I learned this was the 2nd time we were doing this guys driveway so I had to brush all the bricks then bring them back.

Got pulled off that and sent to another crew who was working in Olympia Fields. We'd go to breakfast every morning and park the truck behind the building. These guys would beat the owners back every single day and fill their cars up with the mower gas.

There was an old greaser cat probably 60 and had his young 20's gf working there.. They got busted with heroin in a park in chicago and got one company truck towed.

Then the owners started parking all the equipment inside the building. Little did I know the repo man was knocking. I just stopped showing up one day, but man did I learn what white trash was after that job.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'm going to toss another notion on this thread. There's a book called "managing one's self" that I just read. It talks about how in your early to mid 30s you should start looking for a "second career" even if it's just volunteer work. I think that's an important notion. We as people tend to have restless souls and that may be part of your issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Managing-Oneself-Harvard-Business-Classics/dp/142212312X?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=142212312X

ED:

Free PDF copy:

http://sbuweb.tcu.edu/jmathis/Org_Mgmt_Materials/Managing_Oneself.pdf

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info