Uh-oh Tesla

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
That's what I was thinking. I can see Fiat/Dodge buying them. After all Dodge is really known as a producer of gas guzzling V8 cars. Other manufacturers are investing and producing electric and electric hybrid cars. I could see Dodge swooping in and buying a bankrupt Tesla cheap. Just like they did when Dodge bought AMC to acquire Jeep.

Dodge and more broadly FCA are not doing well from a long-term perspective and frankly lack capital anyways.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Tesla could license their battery, motors, and software to other manufacturers. I'm sure that could be a source of significant revenue.

Absolutely not- the thing that makes Tesla awesome isn’t the fact that their batteries or motors are good. It’s their philosophy about how a car should work and giving customers free updates to their software. No other manufacturer would be willing to do that

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Absolutely not- the thing that makes Tesla awesome isn’t the fact that their batteries or motors are good. It’s their philosophy about how a car should work and giving customers free updates to their software. No other manufacturer would be willing to do that

I disagree here. Tesla's battery and motor tech is more efficient than what the other large manufacturers are currently offering.

The "free" software OTA updates I suspect likely will not be free in the future or subscription based. This could be a nice revenue stream for Tesla. Remember Tesla started to charge for Supercharging too.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
That's what I was thinking. I can see Fiat/Dodge buying them. After all Dodge is really known as a producer of gas guzzling V8 cars. Other manufacturers are investing and producing electric and electric hybrid cars. I could see Dodge swooping in and buying a bankrupt Tesla cheap. Just like they did when Dodge bought AMC to acquire Jeep.

That's a good thing though. :p

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I disagree here. Tesla's battery and motor tech is more efficient than what the other large manufacturers are currently offering.

The "free" software OTA updates I suspect likely will not be free in the future or subscription based. This could be a nice revenue stream for Tesla. Remember Tesla started to charge for Supercharging too.

While I agree (and experts agree) that the motors and batteries are much better than the competition, to the consumer it’s all the other little things that make the Tesla better, not the specs of the motors and what not. To a “normal” manufacturer, the batteries and motors are all they’d care about.... so the consumer would lose all the things that make Teslas special.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I think the battery portion was something they were shooting for down the road? I know once their factories were completed and fully operational they would be producing more batteries and packs than all manufacturers combined currently. Or at least they would have the ability too.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
While I agree (and experts agree) that the motors and batteries are much better than the competition, to the consumer it’s all the other little things that make the Tesla better, not the specs of the motors and what not. To a “normal” manufacturer, the batteries and motors are all they’d care about.... so the consumer would lose all the things that make Teslas special.

Consumers lose those things if tesla goes bankrupt too, lol

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I know this isn't Tesla, but this has to be troubling for Musk to be fighting battles on two fronts with Tesla and SpaceX. Seems SpaceX was not offered a Launch Service Agreement from the Air Force for rocket development. Hundreds of millions in contracts I am sure they were banking on. Yikes.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/22/tech/spacex-blue-origin-lawsuit/index.html

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The_Future_Is_Stupid.jpg

Nothing to contribute.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Good for them, hopefully the boost in profitability isn't mostly related to unsustainable cost cutting measures. Sounds like that was a big part of it though

The model 3 demand seems to have picked up a lot, which was a concern not long ago.

The big 3 are also very easy targets nowadays with all of their failures. Without pickups they don't exist. If tesla takes even a little of their truck market share it's going to have a huge impact

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I was actually pricing out a Tesla Model S the other day.

If you want anything remotely good with options other than auto pilot, the car is welll over 80-85K, not included tax/title, etc.

They definitely look good with the dark gray and the $4,500 wheel option (ROR), but, that is a lot of coin.

Maybe if I had a lot of "fuck you money" I'd do it.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Welp, time to remove lithium concerns and excessive water usage from reasons to hate on electric cars. Gotta update the “boomers hate EVs bingo”

2164476A-672E-4777-95BB-0E4CEF8CB345.jpeg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Welp, time to remove lithium concerns and excessive water usage from reasons to hate on electric cars. Gotta update the “boomers hate EVs bingo”

View attachment 46089

That's such a misleading headline if you read the article. They're talking about water use in manufacture then skip down to where they talk about mining cobalt. Seems kind of silly to me. They still don't have cobalt batteries and it doesn't talk anything about mining the lithium to make the batteries either.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
That's such a misleading headline if you read the article. They're talking about water use in manufacture then skip down to where they talk about mining cobalt. Seems kind of silly to me. They still don't have cobalt batteries and it doesn't talk anything about mining the lithium to make the batteries either.

That site comes up on my Apple News feed from time to time. I swear Musk has a secret dossieur on that author.

Here's another look at topic:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
That site comes up on my Apple News feed from time to time. I swear Musk has a secret dossieur on that author.

Here's another look at topic:

.....or it’s the truth and even with battery materials and carbon emissions, electric cars are still way better than at 30% (at best) efficient ICE vehicle

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info