• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Turbo failure story

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Why? Bigger is not always better for the combo. PT88 is plenty big for a street strip car.

Troof!!! Hell I'm sticking with a PT7675 CEA and it'll take far more than what I'm currently pushing while being super responsive on the street. It's all about sizing the turbo for the cubes and setup you have.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
this turbo is supposed to be rated to 1250HP... but if you can't spin it hard enough to get there.... :dunno: Maybe its only good enough for smaller engines.

I am somewhat skeptical regarding this. While what was said regarding pressure ratio vs flow volume, and thus efficiency and wheel rpm are true, the PT88 has been taken further than what you were making on the same displacement; and with similar turbine wheels and turbine housing a/r too.

Unless someone beats me to it (pressure ratio), I am going to plot your figures on a PT88 compressor map to see where your efficiency and wheel rpm generally falls. My intuition tells me something doesn't add up, but I could be mistaken. The data will tell the story.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am only making assumptions as I have no clue about the power his car made, boost run and so on. But I would say plot the turbine side too. I think his turbine side will be his limiting side, more so than the compressor side. Oh wait, Precision doesn't give you a map for the turbine side do they?

"Leverage" on the turbine side to spin the comp wheel is not a issue with his cubes. The small chassis of the turbine side back pressure is going to climb as boost increases. I wuld love to see Dan put a pressure gauge per turbo to see what his back pressure looks like. I have a feeling it isn't close to 1:1. The PT88 wasn't designed for this application but many do run it with good success. I think, again I don't know, Dan's car is making good power. The down time has to be aggravating for him.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Dan..... is it just me or does your office have a party at least once a week? :rofl:

Sorry to hear about the turbo! Glad the motor is ok! :bigthumb:

My place likes to party, what can I say? :D They like to keep morale up with parties... but they work you HARD to make the parties well deserved.

Yeah, super glad the rest of the car is ok. I read plenty of stories of people seizing their turbos while crusing and burning their cars to the ground! :noes: Glad that didn't happen here.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
You are not gong to see that hp rating with the motor you have. Swap to a 2.4L and you may have a shot.

I am sure it is going to be some coin and effort to get it done. Maybe a good winter project.

I have a 2.4L :pedobear:

glad to hear its just the turbo and no damage to the engine or even from the turbo into the engine!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
throw a cheap sensor on the pre-turbo exhaust and see what the backpressure is. I would be shocked if it is all that high. That wheel still flows a lot, and I can't imagine your motor being extreme in any way.

If you want to go low tech I have heard when people welded in a NPT bung in the crossover, coiled a bunch of copper tubing (to act as a heat sink) and then ran that to a mechanical boost gauge. Then just had the two boost gauges together to see the readings.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I am somewhat skeptical regarding this. While what was said regarding pressure ratio vs flow volume, and thus efficiency and wheel rpm are true, the PT88 has been taken further than what you were making on the same displacement; and with similar turbine wheels and turbine housing a/r too.

Unless someone beats me to it (pressure ratio), I am going to plot your figures on a PT88 compressor map to see where your efficiency and wheel rpm generally falls. My intuition tells me something doesn't add up, but I could be mistaken. The data will tell the story.

Do it. My understanding is that no compressor map exists for the pt88.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info