• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Turbo failure story

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Sorry to hear this Dan. Is Precision helping you out with the bill?

Really doubt it, but should know more tomorrow.

dang Dan read your short/long story sucks to hear any type of damage, glad it wasn't too bad.
That's why I stopped giving people RIDES in my car :D

:rofl: that's one way to address the problem!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Called them. The PT88 is rated to 1250HP... but not on a LS1 I guess. Too much back pressure pushes the exh wheel upwards, causing the bearing carrier to make contact with the compressor backing plate. This is what caused my failure.

GOOD NEWS IS, turbo will be fixed TODAY. Should have it by tomorrow, Wed at the latest.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Pushing it too hard? What does that even mean? Plus the thing has hardly ran since you got it.

If it was set up with too tight of a clearance that is on them. If it is a oil feed or return issue I could see it. "Pushing it too hard" would seem a like a lame excuse to me.

RS thought it was setup too tight. :dunno: Precision, unfortunately, seems to think that I'm pusing it too hard. Guessing they think that the tolerances are correct too.

Precision tried an upsell on me, but I'm not trying to toss another chunk of money at the car this year. I guess I'll try to keep it within reason for the remaining bit of this year. :dunno:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
So you should have done a t6 frame turbo when I told you to? haha

I don't blame you for staying with it. Spending money over and over sucks. But there are guys running that turbo with out issues on LS cars. You can probably send me more links to LS1tech and so on showing me this. So why do their's live and your turbo fails with limited use?

Plus the amount of pressure needed to compress the oil? Or force the oil out of the carriage seems far fetched. Seems like an attempt for them to make you feel comfortable with the bill they are about to give you.

this turbo is supposed to be rated to 1250HP... but if you can't spin it hard enough to get there.... :dunno: Maybe its only good enough for smaller engines.

Correct. It's about pressure ratios. :pedobear:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info