Thinking of selling Harleys, need help spending money!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
20140117_151032_zps5pvrycwa.jpg

ty2e2umu.jpg

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
So with the kid and one more planned for the future, taking the bikes out is damn near impossible...wife and I have taken them out once this year. Also, riding is scary now that I'm responsible for another life.

That said, I'm strongly thinking about selling both bikes which would put 20-25k in my pocket to play with. My thoughts are a boat, travel trailer, or even a 4 seat SxS for family adventures.

I'm fairly familiar with boating. My dad had a couple boats when I was younger and we'd spend our weekends on the chain. When I was a bit older I had the spare keys and he'd let me take the boat out whenever I'd want. Always had a great time on the water and it'd be a great family activity so it's probably my #1 choice right now.

Travel trailers I have zero experience with. I've been told to look for a gently used year or two old model and you can save a shit ton of money. Like half or MSRP? How much does it typically cost to store one of these? What do most camp sites charge?

A SxS would be a lot of fun I'd think, but where in IL could you even take one of these? In a mountainous area like Colorado or even Kentucky and Tennessee I bet would be an amazing place to have a SxS.

So what would you guys do???

Id keep at least your bike.....

As a past boat owner I can tell you the saying is true, the happiest days are when you buy it and when you sell it.
IMO
Boating would be better if I were living on water and my boat was conveniently behind my house.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
With a little guy and a baby in the future, none of those toys are going to work. MAYBE the travel trailer, but taking a baby out away from your home base is hard enough. Doing it for weekends or extended weekends is tough. I'd say put the money in a mutual fund and wait for the kids to get bigger. Then buy the trailer or boat when they are old enough to remember doing it...

So with the kid and one more planned for the future, taking the bikes out is damn near impossible...wife and I have taken them out once this year. Also, riding is scary now that I'm responsible for another life.

Travel trailers I have zero experience with. I've been told to look for a gently used year or two old model and you can save a shit ton of money. Like half or MSRP? How much does it typically cost to store one of these? What do most camp sites charge?

Travel Trailer owner here that we bought just 2 months ago, VERY similar situation. We Camp with a Toddler (Under 2 years old) and 2 dogs almost weekly since the purchase, it's been REALLY easy honestly. We are "Wheels Up in <30" pretty consistently as far as how long it takes to get loaded up and on the road, and it's been very relaxing.

There are a TON of campgrounds in the midwest, and lots of national park sites that are very cheap to camp at and have power still (So we can run A/C on the Trailer).

Having everything so self-contained is really nice, and the pricing on travel trailers tumbles hard, My Trailer's MSRP brand new was $27,000, we paid ~13,999 for our brand new 26 foot bunkhouse trailer (so 2 bunks at the rear, Bathroom with toilet, Dinnette/Kitchen, Jackknife sofa, and a queen at the front). This means there are 2 Full size beds at the rear, and a queen at the front, plus the Dinnette and Sofa turn into beds easily if you have guests camping with you.

No Regrets, but you will drop like $2,000 IMMEDIATELY in 'stuff' for your trailer unless you seriously want to pack it every single time you go out with it. (IE, We leave it fully stocked with plate settings, its own travel grille, toiletries, along with stuff for leveling/dumping/locking it up).

As far as uniqueness with a newborn, I'd imagine you'd want to make sure you over-pack food/diapers/etc and be mindful of wherever the nearest hospital/emergent care facility is, but there are TONS and tons and tons of good campgrounds all over the midwest. Our daughter has been a trooper even for our 3 hour haul out to Galesburg a few weeks back, but I know not every kid is good about being in a car for long hauls.

That being said; there are dozens and dozens of campgrounds within an hour of where we are in Wheaton IL.

Eq11SUg.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
ive been tempted to sell both boats drive to Arizona buy a cat and vacation for a week then come back lol, there are so many sick mid 20 foot bow rider cats out there its not funny half of them have big power

2xT0Pazh.jpg

this dude did just that plan.

i talked to him quick saturday morning. thing sounds angry as absolute fuck.

single illmor v10.

looks like this is it...

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/for...ic-29-escape-mcob-ilmor-v10-nice-ride.193130/

listing says 80ish boat... damn.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Spoke to the wife about it this weekend and she's all for a boat, but really wants a poon-toon. I did some searching and found some pretty badass sporty ones with tons of HP, but they were like 90k. Is there anything cool for 30k or am I crazy? What makes should I be looking for?

The ones that are fast just started happening in the last 6-8 years, it’s hard to find something with a big motor for that price range, you can get something that runs mid 30’s for that price

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
Id keep at least your bike.....

As a past boat owner I can tell you the saying is true, the happiest days are when you buy it and when you sell it.
IMO
Boating would be better if I were living on water and my boat was conveniently behind my house.

its one of the factors we chose jet skis over a boat at this time. fits perfectly in our garage so no worries of storage. once we move to tennessee we will add a boat to the fleet and keep it on the water.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Spoke to the wife about it this weekend and she's all for a boat, but really wants a poon-toon. I did some searching and found some pretty badass sporty ones with tons of HP, but they were like 90k. Is there anything cool for 30k or am I crazy? What makes should I be looking for?

Option to consider, buy a slightly used / new trailer that is already hooked up in a resort park on a lake. They typically already have a screened in porch attached.

Also - pick up a used boat.

You would pay an annual fee for the resort park and pier slip. Winterize the boat yourself and store it in a lot locally or near the resort park.

This way you have a place to go on the weekends and enjoy boating.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Option to consider, buy a slightly used / new trailer that is already hooked up in a resort park on a lake. They typically already have a screened in porch attached.

Also - pick up a used boat.

You would pay an annual fee for the resort park and pier slip. Winterize the boat yourself and store it in a lot locally or near the resort park.

This way you have a place to go on the weekends and enjoy boating.

definitely worth mentioning this can get pricey as fuck real quick.

likely 2-3k in resort fees for april 15-october 15 ish, then toss on another 1500-2k in dock fees.... and you're not insuring anything or putting gas in anything yet, or storing the boat for the winter

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
definitely worth mentioning this can get pricey as fuck real quick.

likely 2-3k in resort fees for april 15-october 15 ish, then toss on another 1500-2k in dock fees.... and you're not insuring anything or putting gas in anything yet, or storing the boat for the winter

Correct on the resort fees, though a little high on pier slip and one can store at local industrial parks or in the field at the local marina.

But, yes it is a weekend get away, summer vacation, etc. commitment to get you monies worth.

I enjoyed this route growing up and continued after wife / I were married. A lot of great memories and lasting friendships.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Here I can break it down.

My Trailer spot at Marina $3750. Trailer stays on site all year long, this Marian includes pumps outs, but you pay for electric. My bill from beginning of May to end of July was $13.00 so no biggie there.
Boat slip $1750 +$150 for boat trailer storage. Winter storage for boat (inside storage) $650.00
Winterize will run around $200-$250 for a Marina to do it or you can do it yourself but you won’t save that much after buying supplies. I have a marina winterize as the liability is on them then.

EDIT: Most important!!! As mentioned earlier...... Golf cart. After buying a gas Club Car and adding lift kit, wheels and tires, new interior and stereo you will be in the ball park of 3-5k. Sure there are some less expensive options out there.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Here I can break it down.

My Trailer spot at Marina $3750. Trailer stays on site all year long, this Marian includes pumps outs, but you pay for electric. My bill from beginning of May to end of July was $13.00 so no biggie there.
Boat slip $1750 +$150 for boat trailer storage. Winter storage for boat (inside storage) $650.00
Winterize will run around $200-$250 for a Marina to do it or you can do it yourself but you won’t save that much after buying supplies. I have a marina winterize as the liability is on them then.

EDIT: Most important!!! As mentioned earlier...... Golf cart. After buying a gas Club Car and adding lift kit, wheels and tires, new interior and stereo you will be in the ball park of 3-5k. Sure there are some less expensive options out there.

Which resort?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info