🔧 BUILD The seemingly never ending GTO project.

General Information

First some background.
THIS is my 2004 GTO. I bought it in 2017, did a few mods and it's been great over the years. At the end of last year I decided it was too slow and I wanted boost. In preparation for a blower (still don't have it), I ordered new motor mounts for clearance and because I did that I got a poly trans mount too. Also decided to do a monster clutch and new exhaust.

While it was apart I kept finding issues which slowed me down, bad parts, "while you're in there" things too. Get it together only to discover the new rear main seal cover was manufactured poorly and leaked. Took it all apart again and fixed that which started to get frustrating to say the least.

Now it's back together and it had a misfire that was caused by a bad injector o ring. I got that cleared up but now it's shaking a lot which I was thinking was still a misfire but after having a friend drive it I'm persuaded to think that the mounts are causing it or maybe even the driveshaft angle since I have shorter mounts, although it also shakes when not in gear while stopped. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the car or if the poly mounts increased vibrations much more than I was hoping for.

A7051C03-1BA1-4918-AFDD-E1D8963C15F9.jpeg

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
Got up early and made the 3 hour trip to Summit and picked up the driveshaft. Good thing I also have a station wagon.
IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2514.jpeg

(Don't mind the mess as I use this thing as intended.)

Got the old shaft out and got the new one in pretty quickly. Drove the car about 20 miles and so far so good. It does vibrate more but it's so much more direct under acceleration and gear changes.
IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2518.jpeg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Got up early and made the 3 hour trip to Summit and picked up the driveshaft. Good thing I also have a station wagon.
View attachment 181300
View attachment 181301
(Don't mind the mess as I use this thing as intended.)

Got the old shaft out and got the new one in pretty quickly. Drove the car about 20 miles and so far so good. It does vibrate more but it's so much more direct under acceleration and gear changes.
View attachment 181304
View attachment 181305

So you "got the shaft"? I just had to say that... :D

Your issue may still be that you're using the OEM companion flange setup. That center carrier bearing, along with the guibo's absorbed a lot of the balance/vibration.

WANT.

Is grinding down one of the rear seat belt bolts still a thing to make these work w/out rubbing?

Generally if it's 3.5" or more, yes. I had to on mine.

Reactions: IDAFC21

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
Well I think the driveshaft is good. Between fall color tour and Holden onto the dragon I've put about 2,200 miles on the car in 3 weeks. Car has been working great just in time for it to go into hibernation in a couple weeks. It went past 100k this week too.
IMG_2791.png

And some pictures from the Dragon, Cherohala skyway and foothills parkway.

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg

IMG_2614.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg

There was a massive Porsche rally going on while we were there, they had 600 cars and they kind of trolled us but it sounded so good.

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
I'm happy and sad all in the same post... All that goodness and then you post the 100k on the odo. :D
That was on the way down. When I got home it was at 101 and some change.

Think I'm like 94-ish w/ mine right now

But man you know what I am REALLY loving that hood.
I stopped at a cars and coffee in Knoxville on the way home and a guy asked if I'd trade him for his stock hood. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: bs009 and IDAFC21

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
Wheels came, these look awesome in person.
IMG_3473.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg

And on the subject of round things, I pulled the wheel off and stripped all the spokes and leather off. The leather was getting holes in it and the seams were splitting.
IMG_3487.jpeg

Ordered some black spoke covers and then ordered a leather cover with blue stitching that I'm going to attempt to sew on myself.
IMG_3488.jpeg

Thread Info