🔧 BUILD The seemingly never ending GTO project.

General Information

First some background.
THIS is my 2004 GTO. I bought it in 2017, did a few mods and it's been great over the years. At the end of last year I decided it was too slow and I wanted boost. In preparation for a blower (still don't have it), I ordered new motor mounts for clearance and because I did that I got a poly trans mount too. Also decided to do a monster clutch and new exhaust.

While it was apart I kept finding issues which slowed me down, bad parts, "while you're in there" things too. Get it together only to discover the new rear main seal cover was manufactured poorly and leaked. Took it all apart again and fixed that which started to get frustrating to say the least.

Now it's back together and it had a misfire that was caused by a bad injector o ring. I got that cleared up but now it's shaking a lot which I was thinking was still a misfire but after having a friend drive it I'm persuaded to think that the mounts are causing it or maybe even the driveshaft angle since I have shorter mounts, although it also shakes when not in gear while stopped. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the car or if the poly mounts increased vibrations much more than I was hoping for.

A7051C03-1BA1-4918-AFDD-E1D8963C15F9.jpeg

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
So had an interesting issue the other day. I swapped the metal PS reservoir back to the stock one since the other one was leaking, went to bleed the system and the car just shut off. Luckily I have a fuel pressure gauge. Car lost fuel and the pump wasn't turning on. Opened the trunk and found this.
IMG_1226.jpeg

Seems the 325 pump is a little too spicy for the wiring harness. I replaced the connector with a different one until I can get a good relay harness ordered.

Normally I'd shelf the GTO until I can get the part, but I put myself in a sticky situation because the Audi is down for a timing chain and I'm waiting on a tool, which makes this here racecar my only car. Going to keep an eye on the replacement connector in the meantime.

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
So some updates. Hood did not turn out good because I tried to be quick with it and I used spray cans. Was going to try to salvage it with more clear but it started raining and I had to leave for LS fest so I threw it back on the car and sent it. I have proper paint so I will repaint it.
IMG_1813.jpeg

It doesn't look so bad from 30 feet away.
IMG_2313.jpeg

On the way to LS Fest I had a bit of a code brown. I left from Detroit and had just crossed into Kentucky on I75, had been crusing in 6th gear for hours but I needed to downshift but the clutch went straight to the floor. This sent me into panic mode a little because I wasn't sure I could fix this on the side of the road. Got off the freeway and limped it to a parking lot where I discovered the remote bleeder line on the clutch had come out of the engine bay but it had burn marks on it so I thought I was screwed. Jacked the car up and got under it to find that by some miracle that the line was ok and the bleeder screw came loose as it dragged along the highway. Bled the clutch by myself with the jack handle and got back on the road.

Then after LS fest there was a test and tune at the my local track. I think if I can get my launch dialed in I should be able to get a mid to low 12 out of it. I was car 140 and the car in the other lane was a coyote mustang.
IMG_2134.jpeg

And that brings us to today, I've had a vibration under braking for a while and it finally got bad enough for me to do something about it. Radius rod bushings were shot so I replaced them.
IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

After that I played around with the hood fitment. Modified the hinges and got the gap reduced as much as possible, still need to adjust the front and it'll be perfect.
IMG_2317.jpeg

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
Ryan, you almost have as bad of luck as Andy and his Caprice.
My friends call this the Ryan effect. My luck with the allroad isn't much better lol. But that's a story for another thread.

Wet sanded and polished the hood today, probably need a more aggressive polish that what I had to make it perfect but it's good enough for now. I also replaced the rear shocks as one of the not so old ones started clunking.

First good pictures now that it's presentable again.

IMG_2338.jpeg

IMG_2339.jpeg

IMG_2340.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

Ryebread

Regular
Sep 2, 2014
I attempted to get a good 1/4 mile time at the track the past couple test and tunes. I can't launch this setup to save my life apparently. Best I managed was a 13.1 @ 108mph. The guy next to me on that one did a 12.9 @ 102mph. After a few more attempts it appears that I broke something. Harsh vibration again so I suspect driveshaft bolts again but I'll find that out this weekend.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You sure it's not the rear half-shafts. They are notorious for issues, especially with axle hop under hard acceleration. Also, half-shaft studs/nuts coming out of the diff? There were issues back in the day of them not being properly torqued or something from the factory. But one would've figured that almost 20 years later, the car would've crossed that bridge somewhere. :D

Thread Info