Band Chart, Grid Mapper, WAS Map
APRS Information
GMRS Information

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Ahh, ever run into any issues programming an HT so that it remembers the repeater offset for input, instead of keying on the repeater’s output and talking simplex?
is HT, handheld transmitter? What model?

yes, if I am understanding you correctly. Manually edit the config file to include it and also bypass any "software locks" with a text editor and flash that to the handheld.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
is HT, handheld transmitter? What model?

yes, if I am understanding you correctly. Manually edit the config file to include it and also bypass any "software locks" with a text editor and flash that to the handheld.
Ok. So, for the repeaters, do you just listen or converse? I’ll tell you where I’m going with this in a moment.

For programming radios, I’m very well-versed with how, and with what.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I’m very good friends with the owner of Rugged, and know the owner of Grundy (and Crete). Monday nights (tonight) on Rugged at 9pm we have a regular net, called the Monday Meltdown. There is an occasional member, also named Matt, that has an HT that for whatever reason is a PITA to get the repeater shift to stay programmed on the memory channel. So instead of keying on the repeater input he’s keying on the output, so only one or two people really close to him can hear it.

Since both of your names are Matt, I thought it could be you 😂. Last three of the call are 846.

For the “hilarious” night conversations, last week Thursday we had a few people that were imbibing, so it was getting petty funny. They will occasionally use Joliet since two of them are fairly close to it.

We do have a problem on Rugged with a couple of non-authorized people are intentionally jamming the repeater, playing all kinds of trash, DTMF tones, alerts, etc. All of it unprovoked, and started last August. FCC are really dragging their feet to get it stopped.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I’m very good friends with the owner of Rugged, and know the owner of Grundy (and Crete). Monday nights (tonight) on Rugged at 9pm we have a regular net, called the Monday Meltdown. There is an occasional member, also named Matt, that has an HT that for whatever reason is a PITA to get the repeater shift to stay programmed on the memory channel. So instead of keying on the repeater input he’s keying on the output, so only one or two people really close to him can hear it.

Since both of your names are Matt, I thought it could be you 😂. Last three of the call are 846.

For the “hilarious” night conversations, last week Thursday we had a few people that were imbibing, so it was getting petty funny. They will occasionally use Joliet since two of them are fairly close to it.

We do have a problem on Rugged with a couple of non-authorized people are intentionally jamming the repeater, playing all kinds of trash, DTMF tones, alerts, etc. All of it unprovoked, and started last August. FCC are really dragging their feet to get it stopped.
Lol. No not me. I haven't been on in awhile. Just hooked up my home base gmrs tonight, hasn't been on in months

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Lol. No not me. I haven't been on in awhile. Just hooked up my home base gmrs tonight, hasn't been on in months
LMK if you want to join the net at 9pm tonight on Rugged. If you don’t have them, you’ll need the PL tones to access the repeater (it’s a private repeater). Since you have listened in the past, you know it’s really laid back.

What are you using for a “base” set up?

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
LMK if you want to join the net at 9pm tonight on Rugged. If you don’t have them, you’ll need the PL tones to access the repeater (it’s a private repeater). Since you have listened in the past, you know it’s really laid back.

What are you using for a “base” set up?
Should have them if they haven't changed.

I'm running a Kenwood TK8180 with a J-pole antenna in the attic.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Thanks to the fantastic Mook Mook I have added a few tabs for both amateur radio and GMRS information. These include HF/VHF propagation tools for DX'ing and NVIS, Band Charts and Grid information, APRS information (including the new SMS gateway), and also some GMRS stuff. If anyone has some good sites, let me know, and I'll add them into the tabs.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm blind, and looking above. I haven't done it yet but I want to start making a bunch of metadata files for various radio things to put them into an SDR.
You’re blind? So, only working CW? You one of them side-keyers?
morse code GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Mr_Roboto

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
For working digital modes (i.e. FT4, FT8, etc), if you need to see how far off your computer's clock is, this is a good site.

My Mac is pretty good, my Windows machine was not. Had to force it to use the ntp.pool.org to get it close enough.
1708227738686.png

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
For working digital modes (i.e. FT4, FT8, etc), if you need to see how far off your computer's clock is, this is a good site.

My Mac is pretty good, my Windows machine was not. Had to force it to use the ntp.pool.org to get it close enough.
View attachment 197301
One of the reasons I got a toughpad for my setup was the gps module built in to it.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
One of the reasons I got a toughpad for my setup was the gps module built in to it.
How well does the GPS receiver work indoors? When my dad had his roof redone last year he went with a tin roof (for longevity). I told him it was going to kill any RF in/out and GPS signals. He didn't think it would be that bad. He now regrets the decision.

Thread Info