Band Chart, Grid Mapper, WAS Map
APRS Information
GMRS Information

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
How well does the GPS receiver work indoors? When my dad had his roof redone last year he went with a tin roof (for longevity). I told him it was going to kill any RF in/out and GPS signals. He didn't think it would be that bad. He now regrets the decision.
Doesn't seem terrible, ads-b is definitely better out of doors.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My two latest contacts.. one just under 8,000 miles, and one just over 8,100 miles:

1708494688597.png

1708494714353.png

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I try to keep power down to 10-20w for FT4/FT8, since it is supposed to be low power. There are a few times where I've had to push it. Just went full-send about five minutes ago to hit St. Helena Island. Took about 10 minutes of back and forth before we landed it. The whole island is only 10 miles wide.

1708734034378.png

Look at this.. Google Maps barely shows it when you search for it. You have to zoom way in to find it. I'm really proud of this one.

1708734173867.png

1708734211152.png

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Work on it while you’re on the stationary bicycle. Maybe your heart rate will go up a bit?
Fine, I did a bit of work on my stuff tonight. I had a PCB from the treadmill I junked that's actually a 2 channel audio amplifier and 2 small speakers. I wired that up and did some minimal testing tonight using my signal generator. I need to get an antenna setup together, but I think I'm just about ready. I need to wind a balun for the antenna, I probably want to do an EFHW and use the pair of inverted Vs I have as well. I need to put batteries in the Antuino and tune it up too. Maybe I should this weekend if I'm not doing everything else on the planet.

• Love
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Fine, I did a bit of work on my stuff tonight. I had a PCB from the treadmill I junked that's actually a 2 channel audio amplifier and 2 small speakers. I wired that up and did some minimal testing tonight using my signal generator. I need to get an antenna setup together, but I think I'm just about ready. I need to wind a balun for the antenna, I probably want to do an EFHW and use the pair of inverted Vs I have as well. I need to put batteries in the Antuino and tune it up too. Maybe I should this weekend if I'm not doing everything else on the planet.
That’s all I’m using, EFHW, 132’. Matching end at 26’, other at 10’. Gives me 80-10m at 3:1 or less. Have an external tuner to match impedance down at 160m.

Would like to do an inverted V, but nothing to support the middle, and no way to get the coax from center point into house.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Got my Baofeng uv-5r in the mail about a month ago just for shits and giggles to monitor some local frequencies, probably going to get a decent radio and my license shortly just for shits too.
Since pretty much all local agencies went to Starcom21, program in ISPERN (155.475 MHz). You might be able to hear some of the traffic out by you.

For the lowest level license (Tech), grab the ARRL study guide, if you want to learn it. Or, if you just want to cram questions and answers, HamStudy.org.

Reactions: VenomousDSG

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
With my base antenna I can hear ISPERN all the way into Chicago. Really fun when ISP Chopper 1 is giving play-by-play. I can hear them all the way to the IL/IN border.

Throw in 462.600 and 462.700. They’re the repeater outputs for GMRS, and 600 is both Crete and Kane County. 700 is Grundy County, out in Morris. Both Crete and Grundy and linked to the Midwest GMRS network, which covers most of IL and IN.

Kane is standalone, but also tied into Kane County EMS.

Thread Info