FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Damn. These guys tho

a7fba4d68ad9c6274652e4be47291d7e.jpg

b3fcd0d1a971a073f821c07025b7fba4.jpg

When I was doing industrial maintenance at the slaughterhouse we had a father and son team who worked the third shit that would pull shit like that all the time... You would literally just tell them what needed to be done and you didn't want to know how they pulled it off most of the time, but it got done. :bowrofl:

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
When I was doing industrial maintenance at the slaughterhouse we had a father and son team who worked the third shit that would pull shit like that all the time... You would literally just tell them what needed to be done and you didn't want to know how they pulled it off most of the time, but it got done. :bowrofl:

That’s why they’re working the 3rd shift. In the first place. Lol.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I had heard a story about the company I was working for. There was a guy working on a delivery truck and he thought he'd emptied the tank and had the gas out. He had to remove a big cover like that for some reason. Naturally it wasn't empty, blew off and doused him in -40F liquified Propane. He lived but spent several days in the hospital over it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The biggest and best chemical plant issues come from ammonium nitrate plants, aka fertilizer also used as explosives when mixed correctly, the first plant I worked at was one of these plants

https://youtu.be/jzDC3iKbTzY

What's interesting about this is that some times they'll use explosives to break up clumps of ammonium sulfate (which doesn't work as an explosive, hence it being largely what you could buy after Oklahoma City) and the two of them will get mixed up like Texas City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

At 9:12 a.m., the ammonium nitrate reached an explosive threshold from the combination of heat and pressure. The vessel then detonated, causing great destruction and damage throughout the port. The tremendous blast sent a 15-foot (4.5 m) wave that was detectable nearly 100 miles (160 km) off the Texas shoreline. The blast leveled nearly 1,000 buildings on land. The Grandcamp explosion destroyed the Monsanto Chemical Company plant and resulted in ignition of refineries and chemical tanks on the waterfront. Falling bales of burning twine from the ship's cargo added to the damage while the Grandcamp's anchor was hurled across the city. Two sightseeing airplanes flying nearby had their wings shorn off,[5] forcing them out of the sky. 10 miles (16 km) away, half of the windows in Galveston were shattered.[6] The explosion blew almost 6,350 short tons (5,760 metric tons) of the ship's steel into the air, some at supersonic speed. Official casualty estimates came to a total of 567, including all the crewmen who remained aboard the Grandcamp. All but one member of the 28-man Texas City volunteer fire department were killed in the initial explosion on the docks while fighting the shipboard fire. With fires raging throughout Texas City, first responders from other areas were initially unable to reach the site of the disaster.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
With that kind of proof of negligence it can be easily denied.

In the state of IL at least that’s not true. You can literally walk up to your boss and say you are gonna do something to hurt yourself, then hurt yourself in front of them and then get paid for work comp... they just try to scare people away from settlements with “proof of negligence”

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
That's not true at all. Workmans's Comp gets denied here all the time. True there are payouts that are unbelievably stupid but if you knowingly or stupidly don't follow training or OSHA you will get denied. I got denied for an actual lifelong injury that without a doubt happened at work. Mine was not anything done wrong on my part so your statement is invalid. :nope:

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
A lifelong injury at work and you got nothing? Makes zero sense at all. My best friend has been in the insurance industry for a long time. He’s been anywhere from a claims adjuster up to running an entire state for an insurance company.
I also used to be an investigator for work comp claims. I’ve seen and heard many things while in and out of the industry. I’m not sure about your particulars, but I do know that a man cut his finger off at a paint factory... when the adjuster came to the factory and ask him how it happened so they could put safety measures in place, he literally cut another finger off right in front of them and they paid him out for the double digit lost.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
In the state of IL at least that’s not true. You can literally walk up to your boss and say you are gonna do something to hurt yourself, then hurt yourself in front of them and then get paid for work comp... they just try to scare people away from settlements with “proof of negligence”

Not even remotely true. We can, have and will be denied workman’s comp beyond necessary medical treatment for violating basic safety guidelines. Being fired is lowest on the list after paying your own medical with no job and then being forced to reimburse the company for damage to their property due to your negligence, again with no job and no income.
In an instance like what happened with the bucket truck with ZERO traffic safety in place and it all being on video we’d maybe get our medical paid if we were lucky.
No cones, no advanced signage, no arrow board, no blocker vehicle all on a road with a 50mph speed limit........you’re fucked and deservedly so, that’s easily avoidable.

IceCreamAssassin

TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
So I will tell you that as a claims adjuster for an insurance company your job is to pay out the least amount of money possible. My buddy literally got his name out there because he would just deny every claim that came across his desk. The amount of people that would actually fight that was stupid low (like 15% or something) and he saved the company tons of money that year.
Will you get fired for negligence, most likely, but do you have a right for compensation for being hurt at work 100% yes you do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info