The GTP is running right...

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
you want me to stop by and check it out? The engine should spin even if you dont have spark the fuel will go out the exhaust. Perhaps the exhaust or cat is plugged up.

Thanks, Ill buy the spark plugs tonight and get them put in in the morning tommorrow. The plugs were completely black when we took them out last week andwe tried cleaning them up yesterday.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
haha! start by checking the cables and connections at the starter...i've had starters fail that can crank over a motor with no compression and are too weak to handle compression...hell they even test as good on the az testers but just have no balls.

see if ya can borrow someone's known good starter if your connections are clean...
Good call...

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
haha! start by checking the cables and connections at the starter...i've had starters fail that can crank over a motor with no compression and are too weak to handle compression...hell they even test as good on the az testers but just have no balls.

see if ya can borrow someone's known good starter if your connections are clean...

but we didnt disconnect the starter in the first place

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
We cranked it a few times w/o the plugs in. Then we put the plugs inand we had troublestarting. The plugs were completely BLACK originally when wetook them out at the mechanics. We thought maybe the battery was low in charge and we even setup jumper cables and tried jumping it. Also, the car has no cat.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
i replaced the gasket and tried cleaning the original plugs even though they were black i wanted to get it started but the car cranked over twice and stayed running for a second and then it wouldnt crank after that....once i get time to replace the plugs il update u on our status

What kind of plugs are we talking about? Lesson-never buy an engine with dirty plugs. Even the plugs i pull out of yard motors are clean.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
I changed the LIM thursday. cranked the motor, it turned. I then put the used (origianlly dirty)plugs in after cleaning them, it wouldnt turn. I took the plugs out and the motor turned again. Friday, I bought new plugs and havent put them in yet. (due to weather and prior engagements)

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Alright, I stopped by for an inspection and this is what we got...

An 02 longblock with a 97 TB, PCM, and wiring (blower is 02), vacuum plumbing does not seem to be correct on the blower for 97. The battery seems to be dead as now the starter does not even turn (all the plugs were out). Half of the used plugs were Champion and the other half were Delco (half copper half Iridium but not a hybrid). Only the UIM (blower gasket) was changed. Water level in radiator (no antifreeze) dropped and at one point the oil was chocolate milk. Main serpentine belt is not completely on the air compressor pulley and could be rubbing on the body of the air compressor.

Game plan:
-charge the battery
-adjust the belt
-crank it over w/o the plugs in and look for water coming out spark plug holes.
-check for spark as we discussed while the engine is cranking
-we may need to tear it apart again to change the LIM gaskets next time i will bring my pressure tester.
-evaluate the need for a replacement starter.

savvy?

also we talked about the possibility of an injector hanging open causing the hydrolock but you may be missing the boat on the coolant being the cause of the hydrolock. is there a better way of killing the fuel pump w/o going through the back seat?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Alright, I stopped by for an inspection and this is what we got...

An 02 longblock with a 97 TB, PCM, and wiring (blower is 02), vacuum plumbing does not seem to be correct on the blower for 97. The battery seems to be dead as now the starter does not even turn (all the plugs were out). Half of the used plugs were Champion and the other half were Delco (half copper half Iridium but not a hybrid). Only the UIM (blower gasket) was changed. Water level in radiator (no antifreeze) dropped and at one point the oil was chocolate milk. Main serpentine belt is not completely on the air compressor pulley and could be rubbing on the body of the air compressor.

Game plan:
-charge the battery
-adjust the belt
-crank it over w/o the plugs in and look for water coming out spark plug holes.
-check for spark as we discussed while the engine is cranking
-we may need to tear it apart again to change the LIM gaskets next time i will bring my pressure tester.
-evaluate the need for a replacement starter.

savvy?

also we talked about the possibility of an injector hanging open causing the hydrolock but you may be missing the boat on the coolant being the cause of the hydrolock. is there a better way of killing the fuel pump w/o going through the back seat?

Pull the relay

I would check rail pressure...car should crank/run even in it's state. Kinda sounds like a bum FPR to me. It's not a common problem, but it happens.

curado

Regular
Nov 11, 2008
If it was a stuck injector, you'd think only one plug would be black. I believe the fuel system has its own fuse though.

Vacuum routing from S/C is super simple. You need a good seal on the vacuum port on the LIM. From there, it tees and hits the MAP sensor and the boost bypass valve. If there is a leak at either point, the MAP sensor doesn't respond to boost and the ECU can't gauge engine load. Result is terrible shifting and poor acceleration.

Need to get that radiator & oil filled to the correct levels and carefully monitor for any suspicious increases in oil level.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
UPDATE 4/2 I have the trickle charger hooked up to the battery, when i have it flipped to the 2 amp rate, the battery says 100% charge (thats what it said as soon as I hooked up the battery). When I flip it to 6 amp charge, it reads 50% (3 hours later). Is the battery okay? is there something wrong under the hood?
Im going to work on that belt maybe tomorrow. After work ill try and see what I can get done and maybe make a video of what the engine is doing since Im headed out for the movie tomorrow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info