The GTP is running right...

curado

Regular
Nov 11, 2008
If it's hydrolocked, the motor will spin freely without the plugs installed. Fix the problem and then turn the motor over a few times.

Suspect causes would be the o rings between the blower and LIM, the blower gasket, or the lim gaskets. If the blower was ever off the motor then that would explain it maybe. Also it needs to be bled decently after the coolant system is closed, or you will get air pockets and heat.

If it has been run without enough coolant or oil though, then it could be seized due to heat. That's solvable too, as long as the problem has been corrected......

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
What color was the oil, when the coolant seeps past the LIM, It can look like you just have too much oil, when it is actually oil and coolant

Actually the oil didnt look right, it seemed watery. It almost looked like chocolate milk and thats exactly what i said when I looked at the pan that I drained the oil into.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Actually the oil didnt look right, it seemed watery. It almost looked like chocolate milk and thats exactly what i said when I looked at the pan that I drained the oil into.

I'd be willing to put money that you just have a LIM gasket failure(very,very common), which could also cause a hydro-lock situation

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Well, that kinda points ya in a direction. Pop those plugs out and see whats going on in there.

Was this motor fully assembled when you got it?

Long story short...I bought the car as a roller and i bought the motor off a guy at the body shop at the dealership I used to work at. The motor is from an 02 which had a fuel rail recall and they started on fire. The only thing that was damaged was the wiring harness and valve cover. When the mechanic put the motor in, he took it apart and changed all the gaskets, pretty much an overhaul and put the motor in the car.

curado

Regular
Nov 11, 2008
Long story short...I bought the car as a roller and i bought the motor off a guy at the body shop at the dealership I used to work at. The motor is from an 02 which had a fuel rail recall and they started on fire. The only thing that was damaged was the wiring harness and valve cover. When the mechanic put the motor in, he took it apart and changed all the gaskets, pretty much an overhaul and put the motor in the car.

Bingo. Which gaskets? Hopefully the heads never came off the motor.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Ok, I jsut got off the phone with the mechanic and he said it wouldnt be hydro lock. He said it wouldnt be the case for this issue. He said when he got the car running, if it was hydro locked, then it would be smoking. But, when it did run, he said it was lamost like there was a "brake" on the motor.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Ok, I jsut got off the phone with the mechanic and he said it wouldnt be hydro lock. He said it wouldnt be the case for this issue. He said when he got the car running, if it was hydro locked, then it would be smoking. But, when it did run, he said it was lamost like there was a "brake" on the motor.

If you ran for a while with coolant in the oil you could have siezed bearings...... If he really replaced all the gaskets, than there is no way for the that much coolant to have gotten into your oil...... get the car back, and call one of us, or find a new mechanic

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
If you ran for a while with coolant in the oil you could have siezed bearings...... If he really replaced all the gaskets, than there is no way for the that much coolant to have gotten into your oil...... get the car back, and call one of us, or find a new mechanic

Yeah, I figured Ill just get the car towed back to my house and see what i can do. I really didnt want to get it towed to this mechanic but i really didnt have a choice, i needed it fixed. I originally thought it was just a starter issue

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
What was the reason for replacing the gaskets if the motor was relatively low mileage to begin with? What was he trying to solve? Choose someone to work on it who is familiar with the 3800.
The motor sat in the body shop for a year or two and he wanted to make sure everything was good inside and I didnt waste my money on the motor

01BlkGTGP

Regular
Oct 1, 2008
chicago
i broke down the motor originally to overhaul it for my brother...in means of making sure everything was fine because of the fire that it was in..i work at a dealership and i have all the parts to do it and i even cleaned every part i took off but i dont think we took the heads off at all...i just bought the gaskets and cleaned every part before installation...basically we wanted a freshly overhauled motor with ever gasket possible replaced to reduce and problems in the future and obviously we got the shorter end of the stick

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info