đź’¬ OT The Good Life v.farming

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Duals would definitely be the way to go if it won't make turning a pain. Or if you don't already have weights on the inside of the primaries maybe go that route since i know uour not scared of puttin the work in to do it. Couple thousand pounds goes a long ways and solid weight doesn't kill power and screw up the footprint increasing compaction like the liquid bs does. Not to mention the other nightmares that go with it.

Reactions: GTPpower

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Also....

Happy to see this. Hopefully it goes somewhere.
R2R goes beyond farmers repairing their equipment.
There is massive amounts of IP in the controllers of modern equipment that not only competitors but nation states would love to be able to get their hands on.
Some nations would love to know how this is accomplished so they could copy and reproduce in their "independently owned"(state) factories and sell worldwide.
I've seen them do it on multiple products - they buy the product/service assemblies, break it down, reverse engineer the physical components then spend years trying to figure out how to make it work right. Imagine if they could break into the controllers and eliminate that multi-year delay?
Forcing them to allow access to this info would destroy competitive edge built over decades.

Ex:

Or how about compare these 2 machines, it won't take much imagination to discern which was developed first and which was a nearly identical copy other than paint color.

6-Rows-Automatic-Packing-Cotton-Harvester-Fmworld-4mzd-6.webp

Cotton-Pickers-John-Deere-CP690-27440657.jpg

Sure, I have a vested interest in Deere maintaining their competitive/technological edge but it really boils down to valuing innovation and preventing it from being diluted by entities that don't care about domestic patent/copyright protections.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
R2R goes beyond farmers repairing their equipment.
There is massive amounts of IP in the controllers of modern equipment that not only competitors but nation states would love to be able to get their hands on.
Some nations would love to know how this is accomplished so they could copy and reproduce in their "independently owned"(state) factories and sell worldwide.
I've seen them do it on multiple products - they buy the product/service assemblies, break it down, reverse engineer the physical components then spend years trying to figure out how to make it work right. Imagine if they could break into the controllers and eliminate that multi-year delay?
Forcing them to allow access to this info would destroy competitive edge built over decades.

Ex:

Or how about compare these 2 machines, it won't take much imagination to discern which was developed first and which was a nearly identical copy other than paint color.

6-Rows-Automatic-Packing-Cotton-Harvester-Fmworld-4mzd-6.webp

Cotton-Pickers-John-Deere-CP690-27440657.jpg

Sure, I have a vested interest in Deere maintaining their competitive/technological edge but it really boils down to valuing innovation and preventing it from being diluted by entities that don't care about domestic patent/copyright protections.

I do get that. They have tons of work and time on the digital side of all their modern equipment. But I also don't feel that bad for them with the gps receiver crap they pulled, all the technology they've stolen themselves over the years, and the crappy machines they have been turning out the last 10 years.

Reactions: Jon01

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah well then they can damned well set it up to display the fucking codes directly on the screen AND let you clear/reset faults......

for fucks sake an 89 caddy had onboard diagnostics through the HVAC controls

19fucking89

protect your IP....sure go ahead and encase the ECU in epoxy, they will still backscatter scan it/xray/ct scan it then slowly grind through it photographing every layer to R engineer the computer

but for the fucks sake make the damned thing repairable without using russian hacked software or waiting for a tech to scan it and tell you the door open switch has stalkes wedged into it and thats why you lost 2 days of dry harvest time

at the same time they want to make sure any warranty faults are caught early enough that they arent making more warranty work for em....i dont think it would be bloody hard to at LEAST follow through with their "service equipment" package that they promised farmers a couple years back after they lobbied for that option instead of an actual law.

ive thouroughly been enjoying all the lovely electrical gremlins/faults i find on 04+ cars that have dealt with the salt and undersized copper conductors used...and then they cut costs even further cause of 07/08...shitty solderwelded grounds that can fyuck right off...but they are cheap and last till its out of warranty.

now imagine that quality probably never goes up.....

it'll be even worse than having a blind spot radar sensor take down the low side data bus and the customer driving it with no dash/hvac/etc.....all cause water got inside the radar sensor because of shitty sonic welds instead of sealant and bolted covers.

if they want their version of "you cant have nuthin" for deere service/repair they better have a dedicated fleets of loaner equipment and truck drivers to give you a functional combine/tractor no more than 4 hours after it goes down

but they dont and probably wont......iirc the leasing companies are offering that service...but its gonna be at least a day and imagine how much that would hit the pocket....

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
The various machines I've been in since ~2015 are set up so you can pull DA's values and codes.
Tech mode, select the controller, boom there's the DTC's or you can scroll through the DA's for what you're looking for.

Not sure what you're running for hardware that won't let you at them.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
We started doing a little fertilizer spreading a week or so ago. We are putting on about 100 lbs per acre of 11-52-0.

This spreader has a 50' pattern, so fields get done pretty quick. Corn stalks are easy, because you just follow the rows. However, it's much more difficult in bean stubble, especially where we planted at an angle last spring.

IMG_20220321_144354401_HDR.jpg

So, I wound up finding a Starfire 3000 receiver from a guy about a half hour away for a decent price. I think I can sell it for a nice profit when we are done using it.

IMG_20220321_144408577.jpg

It works pretty nice. Pulls in the Starfire 1 signal after a few minute warmup. It's a huge step up from the ITC's I attempted to use last year.

IMG_20220321_144431706.jpg

I was even able to get dad to use it the other day when he was spreading in bean stubble. He called me up, and I walked him through creating the guidance lines, and it all worked out pretty well.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Had to get some cornstalk bale's off the field. I like hauling them, but tying them down by myself isn't much fun.

IMG_20220409_164857911.jpg

Found a little hitchhiker in one of them.

IMG_20220409_164949956.jpg

We started doing some disking. I'm not sure how much we will do since we have this new drill, but this field did not have the corn husks spread out when we combined it, so there is a pretty large windrow of residue right where the combine dumped it. So, we are trying to break that up some.

IMG_20220411_134921292_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220411_134932350_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220411_134942382_HDR.jpg

If you look close, you can see I blew a hose in the last picture. Luckily, it was only about 3' long and was easy to remove.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Makes sense. As low as the rivers been down here and my yard turning back to sand it makes me wonder what kinda bs restrictions they'll put on irrigating if we don't get some good rain soon. If I'm not mistaken all the wells are metered anymore or new ones at least have to be?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
We started planting corn a week ago. We've got somewhere around 90 acres completed. It's going ok so far. We had .60" of rain and the ground it just a bit wet under the residue from the previous year. I was having a hard time parting the residue on some of the fields without digging too much into the soil.

IMG_20220426_162224962_HDR.jpg

It's a fine line....if you dig too much in, the soil will be wet on top and will crack and open up when the sun hits it and dries it up. So the seed won't grow well. If you don't dig enough, the residue will keep the seed from being placed in the soil or it will keep the soil from warming up and the seed from growing.

The fur-openers (some places call them trash whippers) remove the residue without removing soil, in theory. But, on some of the fields I'm planting, if I have them set 1/4" too low or high, they will cause more harm than good. It's basically impossible to get it perfect since the ground is changing all the time.

We got a new monitor that came with the drill, so we decided to use that instead of the old one you can see in the very 1st post in this thread.

IMG_20220426_180849752_HDR.jpg

This one shows actual population. I had to buy a Garmin GPS receiver to hook up to this monitor or the population isn't accurate. I was hoping to just use the Starfire speed signal, but the wiring harness adapters are not available right now. After planting, I will probably try to sell the Garmin GPS and get the harness.

IMG_20220426_180858588.jpg

One of these years, I'm going to put auto steer on the tractor, but I would like to get a newer tractor before that happens.

IMG_20220426_180911344_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220426_180911945.jpg

We finished up Thursday night and haven't been back out since then, due to rain. Looks like it will be another week for sure before it's dry enough to plant again. Lots of rain here lately. We even had a tornado go by about 1/2 mile north of our house in town. Knocked down 20 power line poles and uprooted a few pivots. We were lucky it didn't hit in town.

Reactions: Jon01 and sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I don't know what our totals were but it was enough to flood the streets in town. River was pretty empty yet but after we got it all day yesterday its finally flowing some again and there's quite a bit of standing water. Definitely took a toll on the gravel roads I've been on after its been dry for so long.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Farm life expectations: Sitting in a rocking chair with an iced tea looking at your crop coming up while children play and laugh in the distance.

Farm life reality: Use your tiny jump pack to jump start your smallblock Silverado, to jump your Duramax with 4x4 that can make it back to the tree row to jump start your tractor because you left the key on, while getting chased by wasps that didn’t appreciate you taking the pre filter off where their nest is.

7A56D1AA-7022-472D-80C8-84E3BE956346.jpeg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Planting is going slow, but decent. I was able to plant about 40 acres of corn yesterday for the first time in about 2 weeks. Then, we had one hell of a storm come through. I believe it was classified as a deracho. It was amazing watching it move in.

IMG_20220512_180708271.jpg

IMG_20220512_180715557.jpg

IMG_20220512_180944895.jpg

We had no damage, but lots of other places weren't so lucky. If any of you watch the millennial farmer, he had a couple bins and a machine shed destroyed.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Started planting beans yesterday with our new to us drill. It takes some getting used to, especially after 25 years of the other drill.

IMG_20220520_162027913.jpg

IMG_20220520_162704863_HDR.jpg

Singulation is definitely much better with this, but I am pretty sure it's over planting based on the population we have it set at. We did about 20 acres yesterday, and put in 30 bags. Each bag is 140,000 seeds, and we have it set to plant 156,500 seeds per acre. It should have used about 23 bags, but the drill is just about empty. Probably ended up using 27.

You can see that we have lots of residue in between two rows of cornstalks, which is really difficult to penetrate through, while other parts are bare.

IMG_20220520_162131556.jpg

As you can see, it will sometimes just leave the seeds sitting on top.

IMG_20220520_162221348_HDR.jpg

That's ok, as long as it rains. If not, they might not grow.

After some downpressure adjustments, I was able to get the drill to cut through better and get the seed into the soil.

IMG_20220520_162428106_HDR.jpg

All our other planting equipment has used springs for downpressure. This, however, uses pneumatic down pressure. There are two air bags on each row.

IMG_20220520_162544036_HDR.jpg

After running it too low, I found that in this heavy residue, we basically needed 55 psi in the system to cut through it.

This little compressor let's us adjust pressure while out in the field.
IMG_20220520_162600226_HDR.jpg

And, we found that most of the seed sensors appear to be bad. I need to test them, but it looks like we will have to replace them.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The Gang Does Agriculture is getting pretty serious at this point lol. Iowa run today for the first of a few new toys.

New Holland 489 Haybine. Thing is MINT. Original paint, new belts, tons of spare parts and only a few seasons on the crimpers.

New Holland 275 Square Baler. Looks decent, won’t know until I get it on the tractor obviously. Used balers are like betting green in roulette.

Also got a 3 bottom plow. Looking for a disc and chisel cultivator next as well as an older grain drill.

537964A7-01A8-4313-B4E6-6E89D7B70F8B.jpeg

DD2BBE58-4064-4654-A25C-CD462A9D0AD0.jpeg

EAD99553-74DC-4A11-A2E5-21798990EDC2.jpeg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
That windrower looks nice! We've been looking for a better one for the last 5 years or so, but haven't come up with anything yet.

I did some hay raking today though. I'm sure it's fun sitting in a new 500hp tractor, but I think there is nothing better than hearing this old 4 cylinder chug along on a 75 degree day with a breeze to keep a guy cool.

IMG_20220608_181831460_HDR.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
That windrower looks nice! We've been looking for a better one for the last 5 years or so, but haven't come up with anything yet.

I did some hay raking today though. I'm sure it's fun sitting in a new 500hp tractor, but I think there is nothing better than hearing this old 4 cylinder chug along on a 75 degree day with a breeze to keep a guy cool.

View attachment 122072

It’s all I know lmao. 560 will run the hay equipment, raking with my H. Case for loader work and pulling wagons.

It’s awesome when the weather is perfect for when it’s 92° with yes humidity and you’re running the baler with hot radiator blowing at you the AC cab would be ideal

Reactions: sktchy and GTPpower

Thread Info