Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
we did merillat masterpiece cabinets when we redid our last houses kitchen and i miss them.

they were so fucking solid and nice but oh well... :rofl:

i know one thing we did last kitchen vs what i have now is last kitchen i had the upper cabinets mounted slightly higher than "normal" and that made the area between the lower and upper feel much bigger and brighter.

View attachment 102092

are you doing 42" uppers with trim above that?

these were 39" uppers with crown above them, it worked well enough for us. not many people can get to the top of a 42" cabinet with out a ladder/stool anyways.
Looks great, just wait 10 years before your current cabinets go out of style then you'll have an excuse to rip them out lol. I know white is already starting to age but the wife wants white cabinets and light counters, so I'm making sure the hood/backsplash/floors/appliances offer some decent contrast. I tried to talk her in to a dark island, but no luck there (yet)

I believe the uppers are 42", won't know for sure until the rendering comes through. 9' ceiling in the kitchen and we're taking them all the way to the top, but I'm not sure of the crown height

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
I'm at around the same stage with my house. House is framed windows/doors in except for 2 on backorder, roof on and mechanicals started. We just picked out all of our flooring, tiles, countertops, etc. In terms of the cabinets, we're doing a mix of manufactured and custom. The manufactured are still really nice with plywood construction, painted, etc. No particle board and sticker garbage. Then we're doing custom for the island and hood to give the kitchen some character. I was doing great with the budget until it came time to the finishes. Kitchen is way over budget, floors and counters are bit over, and the island/hood is costly. Luckily the lumber difference should help some of that, lol.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Looks great, just wait 10 years before your current cabinets go out of style then you'll have an excuse to rip them out lol. I know white is already starting to age but the wife wants white cabinets and light counters, so I'm making sure the hood/backsplash/floors/appliances offer some decent contrast. I tried to talk her in to a dark island, but no luck there (yet)

I believe the uppers are 42", won't know for sure until the rendering comes through. 9' ceiling in the kitchen and we're taking them all the way to the top, but I'm not sure of the crown height

im not doin shit i have too many cabinets now.

i have a wall of a pantry that would cost more than the truck i drove to work today to replace.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm at around the same stage with my house. House is framed windows/doors in except for 2 on backorder, roof on and mechanicals started. We just picked out all of our flooring, tiles, countertops, etc. In terms of the cabinets, we're doing a mix of manufactured and custom. The manufactured are still really nice with plywood construction, painted, etc. No particle board and sticker garbage. Then we're doing custom for the island and hood to give the kitchen some character. I was doing great with the budget until it came time to the finishes. Kitchen is way over budget, floors and counters are bit over, and the island/hood is costly. Luckily the lumber difference should help some of that, lol.
That's awesome, so lumber for you is an allowance item? I had our guy get another quote from the distributor and it's looking like a 20-30% savings for us on lumber, that's big dollars.

Good idea going custom on the island. I still need to confirm that the cabinet place can get or make the island that we want, pic in next post. I emailed them this pic today and asked her to confirm it's something they can do.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The style of island we will haz

A7D95832-0911-4FC6-802E-483531722AC3.jpeg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
$2900 for the vanity on the left and the other cabinet on the right, this was in our master bath... (no counters in any of these prices of course)

i really can't stress enough, do drawers where below waistline instead of cabinets, it's so much easier to access absolutely everything. that drawer setup on the right held so fucking much it was awesome. basically held a linen closet worth of towels/cleaning supplies/etc.

1633959435655.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

id almost rather do 39 uppers with 3" crown with a gap above them and have them 3" higher than normal if i were to do it all again.

one thing i strongly dislike, is when people do 30" uppers and then 12" above them to give the look of 42" cabinets the "cheap" way... it just looks tacky to me. and those uppers are so fucking high off the ground that only i or EmersonHart13 EmersonHart13 are gonna be able to grab them handles.

1633959873938.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
That's awesome, so lumber for you is an allowance item? I had our guy get another quote from the distributor and it's looking like a 20-30% savings for us on lumber, that's big dollars.

Good idea going custom on the island. I still need to confirm that the cabinet place can get or make the island that we want, pic in next post. I emailed them this pic today and asked her to confirm it's something they can do.

Yes, he made the lumber an allowance item just because of the massive swings at the time we signed the contract. We should be 10-12k under what the lumber cost was the day we signed.

We're doing white cabinets and a natural walnut island and hood to break it up. Quartz in the whole house because kids and honestly it just looks better than granite IMO. Of course it costs more, but happy wife happy life.

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The style of island we will haz

View attachment 102100
Looking at this pic I understand why the wife doesn't want an accented, darker island. She wins this round.

I'm not all about the HGTV design "labels" but whatever this style of island is, it's the style we want to carry throughout. The house is a "modern" layout and wide open, but if I had to call our cabinets & island anything i'd call them "classic" lol. The cabinet doors have a good amount of detail too, they aren't just a flat recessed tray, I think that'll look good with the bright white color we chose (technically called sea salt)

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
id almost rather do 39 uppers with 3" crown with a gap above them and have them 3" higher than normal if i were to do it all again.

one thing i strongly dislike, is when people do 30" uppers and then 12" above them to give the look of 42" cabinets the "cheap" way... it just looks tacky to me. and those uppers are so fucking high off the ground that only i or EmersonHart13 EmersonHart13 are gonna be able to grab them handles.

View attachment 102101
What we talked about doing is full height cabinets on each side of the hood, then the cabinets next to those (i think another 2 per side IIRC) will have glass and lighting at the top. So really display only for the top ~10" or whatever, no actual storage.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Looking at this pic I understand why the wife doesn't want an accented, darker island. She wins this round.

I'm not all about the HGTV design "labels" but whatever this style of island is, it's the style we want to carry throughout. The house is a "modern" layout and wide open, but if I had to call our cabinets & island anything i'd call them "classic" lol. The cabinet doors have a good amount of detail too, they aren't just a flat recessed tray, I think that'll look good with the bright white color we chose (technically called sea salt)

the only thing that sucks about the detailed cabinet and drawer faces is they hold dirt much easier and are harder to clean than flat style. but of course we went with them before and have them now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info