Not open for further replies.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
they're just too batshit crazy of money
No joke, I didn't even know a "built in" microwave was a thing. I figured if you put one in an island it's just a little cubby with an outlet and a $100 microwave lol. Then the cabinet lady showed us that and we said NOPE $1500 for a microwave, noooo thanks. Also didn't want to get rid of the double oven for one, nor did I want to give up a shit ton of island space

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
No joke, I didn't even know a "built in" microwave was a thing. I figured if you put one in an island it's just a little cubby with an outlet and a $100 microwave lol. Then the cabinet lady showed us that and we said NOPE $1500 for a microwave, noooo thanks. Also didn't want to get rid of the double oven for one, nor did I want to give up a shit ton of island space

we had ours in the island when we renovated because i agree with you, microwaves are ugly ... and i planned to get a drawer one and started laughing hysterically

the model i did get from whirlpool had a trim kit to make it look more built in but it was like 2-3x the price of the microwave :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
How do you know? :s00ls:
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: FESTER665

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
-Plumbing fixtures ordered. Glad this is behind us and we didn't go too crazy on cost, backorders on faucets are a big problem
-Countertops picked, naturally my wife only liked $115/ft quartz. I give up (actually I gave up long ago)
-The place where we would order manufactured cabinets from can't do the island that we want, so we're back to leaning towards the custom guy. It's also been 10 days and we still don't have the renderings so that's kinda weird
-Floors are all chosen but we're not sure where to end the foyer tile or what to use in the half bath off the foyer (wood vs tile), so we're going to wait until the first floor is all framed to make that call

Overall most of the materials are chosen now which is a pretty good feeling. I think the biggest challenge we have next will be designing the closet and trying to stay close to the budget. The master closet is absurd, I haven't calculated the sq footage but I actually think it's bigger than all of the bedrooms upstairs lol

Dat shower

delta-dss-vero-1403ss-403.jpg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Usually a wood floor in a bathroom does not hold up well, but a half bath it would probably be ok.

Do you have kids? We put wood floors in our entire house minus bathrooms 5 years ago before we had kids. No way in hell would I do that again knowing how rough kids are with floors.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Usually a wood floor in a bathroom does not hold up well, but a half bath it would probably be ok.

Do you have kids? We put wood floors in our entire house minus bathrooms 5 years ago before we had kids. No way in hell would I do that again knowing how rough kids are with floors.
Buuuut actual hardwood can be refinished multiple times and lasts an eternity, albeit damaged. Think that’s going to happen with anything that isn’t tile though.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

We have one kid (3yo), no big dogs or anything which are the real floor abusers lol. We're also going with engineered wood so that we can get the wider planks, so you can't sand & refinish them.

You're kinda damned no matter what IMO. Yeah wood can get damaged but carpet in a common area also starts to look bad pretty fast.

Downstairs: Foyer will be tile, master bath will be tile, half bath is undecided, everyyyyything else will be wood (incl laundry room and master bedroom)
Upstairs: Hallway will be wood, all bedrooms will be carpet

Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Engineered wood definitely does better in a wet environment, so I think that's the right choice. Ours is engineered as well. In places where we've had damage, some color match stain really makes it disappear.

My wife's KitchenAid mixer fell off the counter and really hurt the floor. I'm still trying to decide how I want to fix that.

IMG_20211021_092016885.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
We have one kid (3yo), no big dogs or anything which are the real floor abusers lol. We're also going with engineered wood so that we can get the wider planks, so you can't sand & refinish them.

You're kinda damned no matter what IMO. Yeah wood can get damaged but carpet in a common area also starts to look bad pretty fast.

Downstairs: Foyer will be tile, master bath will be tile, half bath is undecided, everyyyyything else will be wood (incl laundry room and master bedroom)
Upstairs: Hallway will be wood, all bedrooms will be carpet

I thought depending on the thickness of the wear layer on the engineered wood you can refinish it at least once.... At least that's what I thought I read about it awhile back.

My plan will be LVP through the entire house, bathroom and all. Mine is a shack compared to yours though so it might be nice to break up the flooring in a space that size so your plan looks well thought out.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
-Plumbing fixtures ordered. Glad this is behind us and we didn't go too crazy on cost, backorders on faucets are a big problem
-Countertops picked, naturally my wife only liked $115/ft quartz. I give up (actually I gave up long ago)
-The place where we would order manufactured cabinets from can't do the island that we want, so we're back to leaning towards the custom guy. It's also been 10 days and we still don't have the renderings so that's kinda weird
-Floors are all chosen but we're not sure where to end the foyer tile or what to use in the half bath off the foyer (wood vs tile), so we're going to wait until the first floor is all framed to make that call

Overall most of the materials are chosen now which is a pretty good feeling. I think the biggest challenge we have next will be designing the closet and trying to stay close to the budget. The master closet is absurd, I haven't calculated the sq footage but I actually think it's bigger than all of the bedrooms upstairs lol

Dat shower

delta-dss-vero-1403ss-403.jpg

i just stayed at a place that had similar fixtures but was a kohler setup...

but it had this:

1635274293647.png

it was so fucking cool

so much WANT

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Builder needs payment for overages on garage doors, front door, and fireplace this week. Once framing is done we'll be "in the black" for future overages but that doesn't make this week any less painful.

In hindsight I shouldn't have let kristy go haam on garage doors. Fireplace and front door I get, garage doors, FOH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info