The all-electric NIO EP9 is the fastest production car to ever lap The Ring

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I'm reading an SAE article now on electric cars and autonomous vehicles. BorgWarner's CTO states "In a Battery Electric Vehicle, you lose 30-50% of the range when you turn on the A/C or heat."

There a lot of other factors that goes into that. Outside temp, driving style, weather conditions etc

This also goes for an ICE vehicle. You lose range with winter gas. Quite a lot of it.

Heat? I could see a 30% loss sure

A/C? Nope not even close. I will use my daily real world numbers to say that statement is totally and 100% false.

To even the playing field I would lose nearly 100 miles of range in my Cruze in the winter with winter gas and cold weather. So it's not just an electric car thing

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
There a lot of other factors that goes into that. Outside temp, driving style, weather conditions etc

This also goes for an ICE vehicle. You lose range with winter gas. Quite a lot of it.

Heat? I could see a 30% loss sure

A/C? Nope not even close. I will use my daily real world numbers to say that statement is totally and 100% false.

To even the playing field I would lose nearly 100 miles of range in my Cruze in the winter with winter gas and cold weather. So it's not just an electric car thing

but it means more frequent charging. and my gas car charges really fast.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
but it means more frequent charging. and my gas car charges really fast.

In the winter yes. I will agree with you totally.

In the summer I may see a reduction of 2-3 miles with ac?? And that number is hard to tell because it could have been my driving style on that drive that decreased it. Sort of in the margin for error.

I enjoy the fact I can refuel wherever I am. Like Saturday I helped a buddy with his brake job. I plugged into his house as my payment along with lunch.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I think people who are skeptical should rent one or try one out for 1 week. I think it would change a lot of people's minds.

Perform your own real world tests and stop reading scare tactic articles or ones like stated above that state you can lose 50% of range with the air on. Rofl

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info