The all-electric NIO EP9 is the fastest production car to ever lap The Ring

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
You cannot use price of said vehicles in the argument if you cannot afford them and couldn't go out to get one if it met your mileage

If tomorrow Tesla came out with a 500 mile 35k car great, per your post you can't afford that.

My trans am is paid off but you don't see me bringing random old ass vehicles into the argument

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
How am I not informed?

I drive 46 miles a day and it's only going to go up in the future. A Volt's range is ~53 miles and takes anywhere between 4.5 hours to 13 hours to charge.

So I scrape by in range, and then have to wait awhile for it to recharge again to take full advantage of the whole concept of buying this type of vehicle... To NOT use gas at all!

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I give props to Tesla, I am out looking at their ranges right now and that is what I WANT!

Model S, P100D.

But I can't afford that now, with what we have in bills and putting kids through school.

Actually, just the 100D gets the best range as I am playing with it.

45mph, 110* outside temps, A/C off, with the 19" wheels = 528 mile range. :D

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Is that the SUV one? I JUST saw one of those this morning turning onto 31 from North Ave. in St. Charles.

A/C is a fricken killer man. at 110, turning A/C on dropped the range to 414 miles.

Rofl speaking of a/c I wonder how fast my electric meter is spinning right now. Ac in the house is running and the car is charging at the same time.

Thing has to be like a laser disk in there lol

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ouch.

I'm actually looking at the Model 3. That's Volt price range and would work.

They haven't come out yet though, right? I don't seen any inventory on their website like the others.

Derp, in the fine print... Production starts mid-17, deliveries in '18...

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
What is the REAL range of a P85D?

Figured, WTF, I'll go look on AutoTrader to see what was out there for model S's... Wholly shit, like 340 cars out there. Narrowed it down to blue or red, and it narrowed it to about 85. But the majority are 85's.

This one is right in town;
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...chRadius=0&makeCode1=TESLA&modelCode1=TESMODS

If I were to sell the Caddy, use the proceeds from that, this would put me right into the range I want to spend.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
What is the REAL range of a P85D?

Figured, WTF, I'll go look on AutoTrader to see what was out there for model S's... Wholly shit, like 340 cars out there. Narrowed it down to blue or red, and it narrowed it to about 85. But the majority are 85's.

This one is right in town;
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...chRadius=0&makeCode1=TESLA&modelCode1=TESMODS

If I were to sell the Caddy, use the proceeds from that, this would put me right into the range I want to spend.
There is absolutely no better vehicle you could get for $50k right now....

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
pioneer? you can find all electric cars going back over 100 years.

tesla just did a good job at it and built it for a demographic that could work: fairly wealthy people. luxury car around luxury drivetrain.
It's more than that. It beats a hellcat and all the other hyper cars in a drag race!!

It is a true engineering marvel!

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
It's more than that. It beats a hellcat and all the other hyper cars in a drag race!!

It is a true engineering marvel!

you can just put a bunch of batteries and electric motors in anything and beat an ICE car in a drag race. that formula isn't exactly "true engineering marvel" as it is "commonly expected" is it?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
you can just put a bunch of batteries and electric motors in anything and beat an ICE car in a drag race. that formula isn't exactly "true engineering marvel" as it is "commonly expected" is it?
Tesla put it into a refined package and made it reliable when no one else could. The Model S is without a doubt the most revolutionary vehicle to be presented in the last 50 years.

It is the first step in dinosaur combustion engines finally becoming extinct. There have been reports that we are only 10 years away from all driving electric cars, and it's the Model S that paved that future.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Because they don't have range. How many laps can this car do before needing a charge? How long does it take to charge?

You can get over 300 miles of range, which is roughly just as much as any car is going to get for a tank of gas. And you get up to 170 miles of range with as little as 30 minutes of charging.

Once charged you can beat a Hellcat in a drag race, with enough seats to fit your whole family!

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Tesla put it into a refined package and made it reliable when no one else could. The Model S is without a doubt the most revolutionary vehicle to be presented in the last 50 years.

yes, they went from boring eco-boxes to something sexy. they let designers and engineers have pretty free reign instead of bean counters, and they executed on the package well. and it is a great product, i don't disagree. but that doesn't make it a "true engineering marvel." your fap to metric is drag racing supercars, but there is enough talent on this board to come together and build an electric car that could do the same. is it an engineering marvel if a few yahoos can get together and do this? i'd say a true engineering marvel is one you can give a handful of yahoos infinity years to do and they could never do it.

It is the first step in dinosaur combustion engines finally becoming extinct. There have been reports that we are only 10 years away from all driving electric cars, and it's the Model S that paved that future.

as i stated, electric cars are over 100 years old. and you can read in popular mechanics from 1910 about the batteries that are going to bring them to the masses just being around the corner. nothing has changed even though you are a tesla fanboy. ICE is not dead, it's not going to be dead either. hybrids are the future. with some EV for niche cases, like city cars, or toys for rich people. joe 6 pack in the burbs is likely going to have a hybrid though.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You can get over 300 miles of range, which is roughly just as much as any car is going to get for a tank of gas. And you get up to 170 miles of range with as little as 30 minutes of charging.

Once charged you can beat a Hellcat in a drag race, with enough seats to fit your whole family!

you can get 300 miles worth of range - if you don't use the a/c, or the heat, the sun's not beating down on your car for days, you made sure to charge it, you don't go smashing and using that acceleration all the time, and you have a fuckton of money to spend so you can (mostly) buy your way out of having to live life around charging your car. yeah, why doesn't everyone have one?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info