Terrible crash in mchenry at starbucks on Rt 120

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Of course the Facebook keyboard warriors are having a field day with this. The “a$$holes behind the wheel” page is making jokes and comments about it like “Good, Dunkin is better” Classless assholes that cry about people parking 1/2 inch over the line in an empty parking lot finding humor in people minding their business sipping coffee and getting plowed into. Yea, real funny.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
When you have a grabber and push it to the wood and not lift you can medical emergency pretty far.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
giphy.gif

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
medical emergency?

Witnesses on the news said that the vehicle was speeding further down 120 by Taco Bell. Should be easy to verify through the data recorder since that looked like a new Ram. I've always thought that there it took a while to get that data due to legal steps, but who knows.

At the very least, this person should have their license revoked so this doesn't happen again.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Five people were reported injured, two of them critically, after a pickup truck drove into a McHenry Starbucks on Thursday evening, leaving a path of destruction in its wake. The crash occurred before 5 p.m. at 4305 W. Elm St., McHenry police said. The pickup truck's hazard lights were blinking as it jutted out of the gaping maw left in the building.

Upon their arrival, officers observed a full size Dodge Ram partially inside the Starbucks. The building sustained heavy damage.

Initial information showed the Dodge Ram was traveling Westbound on W. Elm St. and left the roadway east of the intersection of W. Elm St. and Oak Dr. The vehicle continued Westbound while off the roadway and collided with the northeast corner of Starbucks after striking a white Nissan SUV which was in the drive-thru area, according to authorities.
McHenry Township Fire Protection District (MTFPD), along with several neighboring fire departments, responded to the scene. Fire and rescue personnel did succeed in extracting one patient from under the Dodge Ram.
In total, five injuries were reported on scene. Four patients were transported to Northwestern Medicine Hospital in McHenry and one of the four was subsequently transported to Advocate Condell Hospital via Flight for Life. One patient was released on scene. Police does not have information on this person.
A 21-year-old male Starbucks employee of Ingleside was airlifted to Advocate Condell Hospital and was reported to be in critical condition at the time of their transport. They were treated for less than critical injuries and they are now in fair condition and being held for observation.
A second Starbucks female employee, 23, of Carpentersville, was treated at Northwestern Medicine McHenry with minor injuries and is now reported to be in good condition. They are being held for observation.

A female, 36, from McHenry, was treated and released last night for minor injuries. McHenry Police Public Affairs officer Patrick Polidori said the female was in a vehicle, but did not say what vehicle she was in.

Members of the McHenry County Regional Major Crash Investigation Team completed an investigation and determined the cause of the accident was due to a medical emergency. The driver of the Dodge Ram, a 53-year-old man from Lakemoor, will not be cited or charged.

The driver of the Nissan SUV sustained minor injuries and is in fair condition. He was treated and released from Northwestern Medicine.

Polidori said he could not provide the nature of the driver's medical emergency and the identities of the victims and driver.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Well the state will likely still take his license away for a certain amount of time. A few friends and family members have had seizures, and it's immediate removal of license for like 6 months

Thank you! I probably should have used the word suspended vs. revoked above, but the state can do either based on medical conditions. I'm guessing a doctor needs to sign off to reinstate the license.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Seems like they are cutting the guy some slack, by all reports that I saw yesterday evening he was going 15-20mph over the posted speed limit.
Witnesses on the news said that the vehicle was speeding further down 120 by Taco Bell. Should be easy to verify through the data recorder since that looked like a new Ram. I've always thought that there it took a while to get that data due to legal steps, but who knows.

At the very least, this person should have their license revoked so this doesn't happen again.
He should not have a driver’s license until he is medically all good again which sadly may be never. I had an employee that had a seizure disorder and could not drive and she hated not driving but knew if she had an issue behind the wheel she could kill someone.

that's a lot different than revoked for speeding.

jason05gt jason05gt was alluding to the person just driving recklessly for shits and giggles for whatever reason... i kept saying medical emergency and he doubled down with "vehicle was speeding further down"

k

Reactions: DEEZUZ

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
that's a lot different than revoked for speeding.

jason05gt jason05gt was alluding to the person just driving recklessly for shits and giggles for whatever reason... i kept saying medical emergency and he doubled down with "vehicle was speeding further down"

k

I think we crossed signals. I was referencing the medical condition in post #39 about "revoking" his license for medical reasons.

I guess I was confused about the sequence of events based on the news. If he was doing 50 in a 35 before the medical event happened, he should get a ticket in my opinion which is why I made the comment about letting him go easy.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Well the state will likely still take his license away for a certain amount of time. A few friends and family members have had seizures, and it's immediate removal of license for like 6 months
Thank you! I probably should have used the word suspended vs. revoked above, but the state can do either based on medical conditions. I'm guessing a doctor needs to sign off to reinstate the license.
He should not have a driver’s license until he is medically all good again which sadly may be never. I had an employee that had a seizure disorder and could not drive and she hated not driving but knew if she had an issue behind the wheel she could kill someone.

Please look up "Sudden medical emergency defense" for IL. It protects the driver. This goes hand in hand with the fact that driver's do not automatically lose their license.

They can, but, that varies by state and how the accident is enforced.

I don't think he should lose his license forver. It was a stroke for fuck sake.

If anyone of you have a stroke (god forbid you do) please, report back to me on how you told your body "No, I am not having a stroke today, no sirrrreee bob" See how that works out for you.

I've had two mild heart attacks and I know a thing or two about how you lose all motor function. So, you should be punished for nearly dying? k.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info