Terrible crash in mchenry at starbucks on Rt 120

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Yaj Yak Yaj Yak - 'thanks officer"

couldn't click like enough on that post.

giphy.gif

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Like I said, a few of my friends in family, in Illinois, had seizures. I don't know where you are getting stroke from, since the police didn't release the medical cause. And no, no one can know when or how a medical emergency will happen. But the state can take away your license temporarily, based on a doctors recommendation after a medical incident, if you are at a higher risk while driving of causing an accident. No one said permanently.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Witnesses on the news said that the vehicle was speeding further down 120 by Taco Bell. Should be easy to verify through the data recorder since that looked like a new Ram. I've always thought that there it took a while to get that data due to legal steps, but who knows.

At the very least, this person should have their license revoked so this doesn't happen again.
Like I said, a few of my friends in family, in Illinois, had seizures. I don't know where you are getting stroke from, since the police didn't release the medical cause. And no, no one can know when or how a medical emergency will happen. But the state can take away your license temporarily, based on a doctors recommendation after a medical incident, if you are at a higher risk while driving of causing an accident. No one said permanently.

Boosted guy is actually the one that said to take his license away.

I read somewhere the cause was a stroke. Trying to find the link.

Either way, anyone that has a medical emergency should not have their license revoked. Period.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Boosted guy is actually the one that said to take his license away.

I read somewhere the cause was a stroke. Trying to find the link.

Either way, anyone that has a medical emergency should not have their license revoked. Period.

Personally, if I had a stroke or significant medical emergency I'd probably stop driving or sell both my cars and buy something like a Tesla as it's semi-autonomous. I couldn't live with myself knowing that it could happen again and risking others. I drive with both of my kids in the car frequently and I couldn't live with myself if I hurt them because I became incapacitated. Also, putting the general public at risk would bother me, especially in this guy's shoes where he drove into a Starbucks and injured people.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
K.

Last I checked, it is not guaranteed they take the license away in these scenarios.

You didn't check very hard...

b) The Department shall cancel or medically deny driving privileges upon receipt of an Adjudication of Disability order in which the court appointed a guardian to make responsible decisions concerning the care of the person or of both the person and his/her financial affairs or estate, or the Department receives an order finding the driver unfit to stand trial.

1) The notice of cancellation shall be mailed to the court-appointed guardian and the driver.

2) The cancellation order shall remain in effect until the court issues an order terminating the adjudication of disability or the driver is found fit to stand trial.

3) After receipt of an order of restoration, the Department shall request a favorable medical report. Upon receipt of a favorable medical report, the cancellation order shall be terminated and the person may reapply for driving privileges as outlined in IVC Section 6-106.

c) The Department shall cancel or medically deny a driver pursuant to IVC Sections 6-103(8) and 6-201(a)(5), if one or more of the authorized sources submits a mandatory law enforcement report or a signed, written notification on official letterhead to the Department that, based upon firsthand knowledge or pursuant to an official investigation, the person was the driver of a motor vehicle involved in any type of accident or incident resulting from a seizure, an attack of unconsciousness or a blackout.

1) Following a cancellation or denial of driving privileges, the driver must submit a medical report to be forwarded to the Board and abide by all subsequent requests by either the Department or the Board, if any, for further information and/or clarification prior to being eligible to reapply.

2) Any medical reports and/or other information concurrently or subsequently received by the Department shall be referred along with the entire case to the Board for determination as to the driver's ability to safely operate a motor vehicle as outlined in subsection (j).

d) The Department is authorized to cancel, pursuant to IVC Section 6-201(a)(8), any driver's license or permit upon determining that a driver failed to report to the Secretary of State, within 10 days after the driver became aware of the condition, as required by IVC Section 6-116.5, the existence of a medical condition that is likely to cause loss of consciousness (i.e., inability of the driver to sustain consciousness throughout the entire interval in which he/she intends to drive) or loss of ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. If a driver's license is canceled and a favorable medical report is subsequently received, the cancellation shall be rescinded.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Personally, if I had a stroke or significant medical emergency I'd probably stop driving or sell both my cars and buy something like a Tesla as it's semi-autonomous. I couldn't live with myself knowing that it could happen again and risking others. I drive with both of my kids in the car frequently and I couldn't live with myself if I hurt them because I became incapacitated. Also, putting the general public at risk would bother me, especially in this guy's shoes where he drove into a Starbucks and injured people.

No you probably wouldn't. You could have a "medical emergency" tomorrow. Be that a heart attack, stroke, seizure, etc. After some time, you will need to get back to work, right? You're going to rely on family/spouse/public transportation to live your life?

A "medical emergency" doesn't just happen to people over 65 who are retired and have no life...

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
No you probably wouldn't. You could have a "medical emergency" tomorrow. Be that a heart attack, stroke, seizure, etc. After some time, you will need to get back to work, right? You're going to rely on family/spouse/public transportation to live your life?

A "medical emergency" doesn't just happen to people over 65 who are retired and have no life...

My job doesn't require me to be in the office. I go into the office a few days a week, but it's not required. I can work remote 100% if I wanted.

Like I said, I'd also buy a vehicle with autonomy. My wife's MDX for example can brake to avoid objects, has lane keeping assist, etc. My cars have none of that.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
You didn't check very hard...

What's your point Mr. Lawyer?

Think you missed what we were talking about 20 posts ago with all your technical bullshit.

Don't really care what the law is, I am saying I don't agree that people should lose their privileges for these medical emergencies.

But, hey, you know what the state will do better than I do, so, yeah.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL

At least someone with common sense.

I had two mild heart attacks when I was 15 and 16 years of age. I did not lose my license, albeit, I was not involved in a crash.

What's hilarious with the state is people that drink and drive get into accidents, and are able to get their licenses back or sometimes don't even lose them on the first offense. However, god forbid you nearly fucking die while driving because of an attack or stroke or something severe, and BAM, no license.

Funny how that works, huh?

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not everyone has that option (to be able to work from home), though.

I'm not against a temporary suspension, then get proper clearances/doctors to sign off, etc, before a suspension is lifted.

I had to take the keys away from my Grandmother a few years back when she wrecked one of our cars on her way home from a church event. She evidently had a seizure (one of the WeGo paramedics told me), but thankfully the person that she hit, was actually drunk and had swiped several cars in the school parking lot picking up her children (just up the road from where the collision was), and crossed the center line (and was driving illegally). So...

But it took her a few years before I felt, along with her doctor, that she was safe to drive again...

Reactions: Kensington

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
What's your point Mr. Lawyer?

Think you missed what we were talking about 20 posts ago with all your technical bullshit.

Don't really care what the law is, I am saying I don't agree that people should lose their privileges for these medical emergencies.

But, hey, you know what the state will do better than I do, so, yeah.

K

Sorry to bring facts, laws, and citations to this. Continue with emotion trumping reason. :io:

Reactions: RedBeard

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Not everyone has that option (to be able to work from home), though.

I'm not against a temporary suspension, then get proper clearances/doctors to sign off, etc, before a suspension is lifted.

I had to take the keys away from my Grandmother a few years back when she wrecked one of our cars on her way home from a church event. She evidently had a seizure (one of the WeGo paramedics told me), but thankfully the person that she hit, was actually drunk and had swiped several cars in the school parking lot picking up her children (just up the road from where the collision was), and crossed the center line (and was driving illegally). So...

But it took her a few years before I felt, along with her doctor, that she was safe to drive again...

That's all I'm sayin...

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
:rofl: K

I don't know where I said I knew better? All I did was back up my statement that the state can and will take your license away temporarily if you have a medical condition that increases your risk to lose control or lose consciousness while driving.

You seem very passionate about this, you should lobby the state to have them overturn that section.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Temporarily is fine.

Clearly your blinders are on as I said they should lose their license permanently, as Mr. Bewsted guy said.

Re-read again sir.

Don't disagree with temporary and getting cleared if you have a condition that increases the risk of causing an accident. I 100% disagree that anyone with a condition that is something like a heart attack, stroke or something similar losing their privilege completely and permanently.

giphy.gif

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Hi All -
Clearly, the fucker did an aerial into a Starbucks - the bomb that was him DID go off!

If the Pre-Cogs could have seen this coming they never would have let him get in the truck yesterday. But it happened. Thank God no one died, fucking miracle.

That said, there IS a track record now. And strokes are like earthquakes - there always seems to be a few after-shocks.

NO. He should NOT be allowed to drive again until proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he won't do another spinning 360 into a fucking inhabited building. Sorry for his misfortune, but he is a proven risk and the burden is on him to be proven NOT a risk and I for one am not ready to share the road with the likes of this poor unfortunate soul yet.

How is that stance a problem?

Reactions: RedBeard
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info