Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I assembled the Oklahoma Joe's Highland and sealed up the gaps with high temp, food safe sealant. My smoke stack extension arrived today. Testing has shown it doubles the air flow out the exhaust. I installed the insulation around the food chamber lid to seal that up better. Tomorrow, once the sealant has dried completely, I will be spraying the interior and exterior with Pam to polymerize the oil and provide a coating to prevent rust. I will get a fire going and shoot for 400* which is the recommended temp to do this. My fire basket will be showing up tomorrow, too. The basket helps prevent fire damage to the floor of the fire chamber.

I stopped at Walmart to pick up some wood for the time being. Got some hickory, apple and cherry. Eventually, I may get a pick up truck load to last until the oak I cut after the hurricane has a chance to dry out. I ran into a guy at Walmart who has the same smoker and he gave me some good tips.

You guys have any ideas for offset smoker cooks? I'll probably do a pork butt first since they're easy.
I really like plain SPG spare ribs as a maiden voyage. Plain SPG pork ribs really showcase the smoke flavor and will let you get the distinct wood flavor differences (oak vs hickory vs cherry, or combined, etc). If you're figuring out a stick burner, i think spare ribs are really great cut for a couple reasons. Things like getting an idea of how early it creates bark, and potency of smoke flavor you get with it with whichever wood you chose. Spares are also pretty forgiving to temp fluctuations. They're pretty cheap and are relatively short cook time.

Wont be the very best ribs you've ever done. But if you're familiarizing yourself fire management, theres really nowhere for it to hide if you had a dirty fire on plain SPG ribs.

I still spritz with applecider vinegar/beer/hot sauce mix, and also wrap when i do SPG ribs.

You could do a rack of ribs on your kettle for comparo.

I look forward to seeing how the mods help it out. Smokin dad bbq used bricks or something to semi-insulate the firebox, a mod i thought was really good. Biggest complaint i hear is that sticks dont combust quick enough or you need to use very small sticks.

Reactions: Flyn and Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I seasoned the smoker today. Cranked it up to 550* and played with it until the oil turned into a coating. As expected, some of the firebox paint bubbled off but I sprayed it with oil and it looks good again. That Chinese paint can't handle firebox heat especially when cranked.

Don't have many leaks. One of the pieces of insulation came off the cooking chamber door area but that was the only spot that leaked any smoke and it still wasn't bad. I'll clean it with alcohol and reapply another strip. The areas I sealed with high temp red sealant were fine.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some pork butt burnt ends. Smoke the butt until 170* and then cube it up. Back on the smoker in a tray with foil and some Parkay, brown sugar and maple syrup. Then uncovered with BBQ sauce. Pork butt should be a forgiving test. So far, I am happy with the smoker. Managing the fire wasn't hard. I have done similar things on my Weber kettle. It's all about keeping the coal bed going and using the right amount of wood sticks.

I'll do some ribs soon. Pics to follow when I have the time to take them. I was busy today with being on call for work while seasoning.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Anybody use this to smoke with? It was on sale at Costco for 2 bags $16.
IMG_8610.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I realized, after I was cubing the pork butt, that I hadn't taken the money shot pic of the whole butt with the bark. Mind was on the cook.

Not the best burnt ends I ever made but my friends liked them. I pulled them half an hour before I wanted to because of time constraints. Smoke flavor was good with hickory and apple woods. Smoker is relatively easy to temp manage. Only issue I had was when I had to run to the store and my coal bed was dying down when I got back. Tossed some charcoal in, left the doors and lids open until it caught, tossed another hickory stick on and was back in action.

Here's the Oklahoma Joe's Highland. I'm liking it. Ribs to come later this week. I ordered a mitre saw today. My elbow is messed up (future surgery?) and swinging my axe is a pain, literally. I want to cut the larger sticks like that one on the firebox in half. It worked but I had to throw it in while I had a good firebed or it would have smoldered. Getting it preheated on the firebox helps it ignite quickly.

Don't mind the pool and lanai. They were damaged in the hurricane and I'm still working on setting up contractors. Had a guy come out today that may work out. Licensed and insured and sounds like he knows what he's doing. When I'm done, the pool will be resurfaced and I'll have pavers and an expanded lanai and cage. Can't wait to get some extra room on the right side to get my grills away from the pool.

20230402_103231.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I made ribs on the Oklahoma Joe's today. Pretty simple process. I used the 3-2-1 method for these with The Squeal rub and Blues Hog Original BBQ sauce.

I also made homemade pork and beans using the bone and scraps from the pork butt I made a few days ago.

20230405_161506.jpg

20230405_172826.jpg

20230405_152221.jpg

20230405_152429.jpg

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I realized, after I was cubing the pork butt, that I hadn't taken the money shot pic of the whole butt with the bark. Mind was on the cook.

Not the best burnt ends I ever made but my friends liked them. I pulled them half an hour before I wanted to because of time constraints. Smoke flavor was good with hickory and apple woods. Smoker is relatively easy to temp manage. Only issue I had was when I had to run to the store and my coal bed was dying down when I got back. Tossed some charcoal in, left the doors and lids open until it caught, tossed another hickory stick on and was back in action.

Here's the Oklahoma Joe's Highland. I'm liking it. Ribs to come later this week. I ordered a mitre saw today. My elbow is messed up (future surgery?) and swinging my axe is a pain, literally. I want to cut the larger sticks like that one on the firebox in half. It worked but I had to throw it in while I had a good firebed or it would have smoldered. Getting it preheated on the firebox helps it ignite quickly.

Don't mind the pool and lanai. They were damaged in the hurricane and I'm still working on setting up contractors. Had a guy come out today that may work out. Licensed and insured and sounds like he knows what he's doing. When I'm done, the pool will be resurfaced and I'll have pavers and an expanded lanai and cage. Can't wait to get some extra room on the right side to get my grills away from the pool.

View attachment 157747
That’s a good buy and I was impressed when you mentioned how thick and heavy it is. That by itself is a great way to add thermal mass and the brick idea is great too as long as you are compensating for when they stop absorbing heat relative to target temperature.

I would like one of these but my wife would probably start to make some comments after just picking up the 36” Blackstone and I do already have an electric smoker that I’ve only used a couple times. The 6th grill/smoking device on our patio may be a bridge too far. ?

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I mention it because the rack in one of my Weber kettles is sagging and visibly wearing down again. I need to step up to a cast iron one piece grill grate on one of them so it’ll last a while. I get so sick of replacing the stock 22” Weber grates. Not sure if they actually make one that is worth a shit to be honest.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
That’s a good buy and I was impressed when you mentioned how thick and heavy it is. That by itself is a great way to add thermal mass and the brick idea is great too as long as you are compensating for when they stop absorbing heat relative to target temperature.

I would like one of these but my wife would probably start to make some comments after just picking up the 36” Blackstone and I do already have an electric smoker that I’ve only used a couple times. The 6th grill/smoking device on our patio may be a bridge too far. ?
Can a race car have too much horse power? Same principle applies...lol

Reactions: Z28Camaro

Thread Info