Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
6CF0479F-DF87-47E2-B815-7DF718BE4419.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I picked up the Oklahoma Joe's Highlander. Rented the Lowe's truck for $20 to get it home since Amy's Santa Fe was destroyed in the hurricane. My son and I lifted it down and I used a hand truck to get it to my lanai. 178 lbs. NFL football players lift 225 for 25-30 reps. I have a whole new respect for them.

I picked up some insulating tape, a cover and a grease bucket while I was there. I have a podcast tomorrow so I may need to wait a day to assemble it. Then I need to get a 3" X 16" exhaust pipe to extend the length of the exhaust pipe to optimal length and increase the drawing airflow. I'm going to put some fire bricks in the fire chamber to improve its efficiency and wrap a couple grates in foil to make a cheap airflow mod that equalizes temps throughout the smoker. I'll take a pic when I finish.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
As much as I would like to try making my own pizza, I have at least 3 pretty good pizza places within a couple miles of my house. The nicer 16" ovens are pretty expensive for something I may only use a few times until the novelty wears off.

that's kinda where im at, i've made my own pizza from scratch, and it turned out awesome, but fuck was it a lot of effort for something that's reaaaaaaaally fucking good and relatively cheap and easy

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
I coulda swore a few guys had them and swore by them. I just can’t think of who right now
I've got an Ooni Karu (wood burning). Absolutely love it. It'll do up to 900 degrees on a stone with flames that drape over the top. I can't recommend enough. We do neopolitan pizzas just about every other weekend. I believe there's an Ooni thread.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I assembled the Oklahoma Joe's Highland and sealed up the gaps with high temp, food safe sealant. My smoke stack extension arrived today. Testing has shown it doubles the air flow out the exhaust. I installed the insulation around the food chamber lid to seal that up better. Tomorrow, once the sealant has dried completely, I will be spraying the interior and exterior with Pam to polymerize the oil and provide a coating to prevent rust. I will get a fire going and shoot for 400* which is the recommended temp to do this. My fire basket will be showing up tomorrow, too. The basket helps prevent fire damage to the floor of the fire chamber.

I stopped at Walmart to pick up some wood for the time being. Got some hickory, apple and cherry. Eventually, I may get a pick up truck load to last until the oak I cut after the hurricane has a chance to dry out. I ran into a guy at Walmart who has the same smoker and he gave me some good tips.

You guys have any ideas for offset smoker cooks? I'll probably do a pork butt first since they're easy.

Reactions: GLADIATOR

Thread Info