Teaser...

nSwH2hq.jpg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
How many pounds was that? What was your total time and temp?

I'm doing two 9.5 pounders Friday Night / Saturday morning. Going on between midnight and 2am. Looking for a 7PM dinner time.

I put an 8.5 pound on at 0830 at 225 and it’s stalled out at 160 degrees internal 9 hours later. Figure it will be at least 12 hours.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Went about 2-3 mins too long on the indirect. I checked it after 10 mins on indirect and it was at 135, should have done 2 mins but left it for 5. Meh, it was still juicy.

im just giving you shit.

best part about pork tenderloin (and really most things pork) is they are so forgivable cuz it's still gonna be delicious.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
im just giving you shit.

best part about pork tenderloin (and really most things pork) is they are so forgivable cuz it's still gonna be delicious.
Yeah they can be pretty forgiving. I let myself down though with it being slightly over done. Nothing like what my Dad used to do though. In the last 2-3 years I started eating pork tenderloin again because growing up my Dad would cook the piss out of it for 30-40 mins and it was like saw dust. Back when people thought you couldn't eat pork with any pink.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah they can be pretty forgiving. I let myself down though with it being slightly over done. Nothing like what my Dad used to do though. In the last 2-3 years I started eating pork tenderloin again because growing up my Dad would cook the piss out of it for 30-40 mins and it was like saw dust. Back when people thought you couldn't eat pork with any pink.

absofuckinglutely. i remember the chalk pork growing up. i hated that shit so much

this article is fantastic... dude gets into the case for eating raw pork which im not going to get on baord with at home but if i saw it on a menu id dive on in

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Then again, the risks of eating raw or pink pork are not notably worse than those that come with runny egg yolks, beef tartare, or cheap delivery sushi. And the payoff, chefs argue, is worth it. "When you get a nice thick pork chop, and it's slightly pink in the middle? That's great," says Andy Ricker, of the Pok Pok restaurants in Brooklyn, Los Angeles, and Portland, Oregon. "Nice and juicy, delicious." The cut matters, too, the same way it does for beef: Some cuts are suited for long braises; others are best served as steaks and cooked pink; and some, yes, are great for raw preparations.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I wouldn't eat raw meat from a flea market, that's for sure. Went to my butcher because they have been in business without issues for decades and are a quality establishment who, most likely, take care of their products. Figure the risks are greatly reduced when the supplier is competent and cares about their product. I'd still hesitate with pork or chicken because the diseases are more common and nasty. Pink pork is tasty so I'm willing to pull it at 140* and let it rest up to 145ish. Bloody chicken is still a NO.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I grabbed some hot Italian sausage at the butcher shop to go along with the mild I already had. It's dinner tonight and tomorrow. Then the picanha for Sunday. I may have a piece of garlic bread tomorrow because it would go great with this. Time to scrub the stove. My largest All Clad saute pan was barely big enough for this meal. I gotta get a bigger All Clad but it's $300. Maybe for Christmas. I'm buying Amy a new laptop on Black Friday so she can get me a pan. LOL

FGnWaA9.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I sliced the picanja around 2 fingers wide and skewered the pieces with the fat out.

1SJzzIA.jpg

Put it on the Santa Maria high enough for indirect cooking. Added some peppers and onions with a chimichurri seasoning. I cooked it to 115 and then lowered it way down to sear.

kH9jWZs.jpg

Turned out nice.

h70xpfM.jpg

I shaved the meat directly off the skewers for tacos.

PwiRJYD.jpg

Added a chimichurri sauce and the peppers and onions. The picanha flavor is fantastic. It's as tender as filet mignon and has more of a ribeye flavor.

vSDej7L.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
My Aunt & Uncle were the same way.

Turkey? Like something out of National Lampoons Christmas vacation. Everything cooked till the last ounce of moisture evaporated. If you didn't have an equal amount of cranberry sauce the turkey was like chalk. Okay, it was like cranberry sauce with chalk.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
My son brought home a chef from his restaurant. Made us some awesome shish-ka-bobs with chicken and shrimp. I loved the strong seasoning he put on them. Also had a veggie medley baked in the oven. It was all tasty and perfectly cooked. I can learn a lot from pros.

ECktatr.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I wouldn't eat raw meat from a flea market, that's for sure. Went to my butcher because they have been in business without issues for decades and are a quality establishment who, most likely, take care of their products. Figure the risks are greatly reduced when the supplier is competent and cares about their product. I'd still hesitate with pork or chicken because the diseases are more common and nasty. Pink pork is tasty so I'm willing to pull it at 140* and let it rest up to 145ish. Bloody chicken is still a NO.

like the article i posted said... with pork, they aren't. so

also i am not sure i'd eat any raw meat from a flea market :rofl: where'd that even come from

Thread Info