20210131_120343.jpg
20210131_125249.jpg

Reactions: Flyn

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Oh I know Man, Butcher would not call it Prime, it had very nice fatty strains, definitely was USDA Prime IMO. Just different down here I guess was my point. I wanted prime, he called it Angus and it was Prime Beef
100%.

Delicious

that doesn't sound like prime :rofl:

anywhere that has legit prime, will be shouting it from the rooftops, that it is prime...

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I picked up some choice N.Y. Strip steaks from Sam's tonight that looked better than their more than twice as expensive prime. We can see marbling as easy as an inspector can. I don't know how much of a cow they look at when grading it but it's not rocket science. Fat (marbling) = flavor.

Technically the grader looks at the cow's vertebrae and rib bones to determine the age and then they examine the marbling of the rib muscle between the 12th and 13th rib. Marbling is the key factor. I think the entire cow is judged this way so it's not an exact science and YMMV.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Never made it out to Ream's because of the snow.

I did, however, pick up a strip and fillet at Marianos Friday and reverse seared it on the propane grill. Came out great, the pen is a game changer.

Being able to read the temp quickly and accurately is a big help. A mistake I used to make is removing the meat from the refrigerator and throw it on the grill too quickly. The middle took too long to cook compared to the outer portions. Letting it rest at room temperature for a half-hour or longer helped a lot. Between resting at room temp and the pen, I get more consistent results.

I love sous vide for the same reason. You can get the temp of the whole piece to the exact temp that you want. Especially on thick pieces.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Being able to read the temp quickly and accurately is a big help. A mistake I used to make is removing the meat from the refrigerator and throw it on the grill too quickly. The middle took too long to cook compared to the outer portions. Letting it rest at room temperature for a half-hour or longer helped a lot. Between resting at room temp and the pen, I get more consistent results.

I love sous vide for the same reason. You can get the temp of the whole piece to the exact temp that you want. Especially on thick pieces.
Everything I grill sits out for 45-60 min before going on the grill

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Everything I grill sits out for 45-60 min before going on the grill

giphy.gif

Myth #1: "You should let a thick steak rest at room temperature before you cook it."
The Theory:
You want your meat to cook evenly from edge to center. Therefore, the closer it is to its final eating temperature, the more evenly it will cook. Letting it sit on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes will bring the steak up to room temperature—a good 20 to 25°F closer to your final serving temperature. In addition, the warmer meat will brown better because you don't need to waste energy from the pan to take the chill off of its surface.

The Reality: Let's break this down one issue at a time. First, the internal temperature. While it's true that slowly bringing a steak up to its final serving temperature will promote more even cooking, the reality is that letting it rest at room temperature accomplishes almost nothing.

To test this, I pulled a single 15-ounce New York strip steak out of the refrigerator, cut it in half, placed half back in the fridge, and the other half on a ceramic plate on the counter. The steak started at 38°F and the ambient air in my kitchen was at 70°F. I then took temperature readings of its core every ten minutes.

After the first 20 minutes—the time that many chefs and books will recommend you let a steak rest at room temperature—the center of the steak had risen to a whopping 39.8°F. Not even a full two degrees. So I let it go longer. 30 minutes. 50 minutes. 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center. Still colder than the cold water comes out of my tap in the summer, and only about 13% closer to its target temperature of a medium-rare 130°F than the steak in the fridge.

You can increase the rate at which it warms by placing it on a highly conductive metal, like aluminum,* but even so, it'd take you at least an hour or so to get up to room temperature—an hour that would be better spent by, say, actively warming your steak sous-vide style in a beer cooler.

*protip: thaw frozen meat in an aluminum skillet to cut your thaw time in half!

After two hours, I decided I'd reached the limit of what is practical, and had gone far beyond what any book or chef recommends, so I cooked the two steaks side by side. For the sake of this test, I cooked them directly over hot coals until seared, then shifted them over to the cool side to finish.* Not only did they come up to their final temperature at nearly the same time (I was aiming for 130°F), but they also showed the same relative evenness of cooking, and they both seared at the same rate.

*Normally I'd start them on the cool side and finish them on the hot like in this recipe for grilled ribeye steaks, but that method would have obscured the results of this test.

The cooking rate makes sense—after all, the room temperature-rested steak was barely any warmer on the inside than the fridged-steak, but what about the searing? The outer layer of the rested steak must be warm enough to make a difference, right?

Here's the issue: Steak can't brown until most of the moisture has evaporated from the layers of meat closest to the surface, and it takes a hell of a lot of energy to evaporate moisture. To put it in perspective. It takes five times more energy to convert a single gram of water into steam than it does to raise the temperature of that water all the way from ice cold to boiling hot. So when searing a steak, the vast majority of energy that goes into it is used to evaporate moisture from its surface layers. Next to that energy requirement, a 20, 30, or even 40 degree difference in the temperature of the surface of the meat is a piddling affair.

The Takeaway: Don't bother letting your steaks rest at room temperature. Rather, dry them very thoroughly on paper towels before searing. Or better yet, salt them and let them rest uncovered on a rack in the fridge for a night or two, so that their surface moisture can evaporate. You'll get much more efficient browning that way.

giphy.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Speaking of sous vide, I haven't taken pics because it's just an egg. haha But I have been using sous vide to cook eggs at 135 degrees. It pasteurizes them and semi cooks the yoke. Separate the whites from the yoke and the yoke makes an amazing creamy complement to steak.

like, 1/3rd the way to a béarnaise or hollandaise sauce?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
like, 1/3rd the way to a béarnaise or hollandaise sauce?

Not sure, never made them. I am basic-bitch over here. haha

Think of sunny side up egg yolk. The yolk stays together when you carefully hand separate the yolk. But when you push on the yolk it is thick yet creamy. It coats the streak well as it sticks well to the meat.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not sure, never made them. I am basic-bitch over here. haha

Think of sunny side up egg yolk. The yolk stays together when you carefully hand separate the yolk. But when you push on the yolk it is thick yet creamy. It coats the streak well as it sticks well to the meat.

right, i know how it would turn out at that low of a temp- while wife was pregnant i tried doing hollandaise three seperate ways to pastuerize it and make sure it was "safe"- one i sous vide pasteurized the hollandaise after it was made, another i sous vide pastuerized the entire egg, and finally i tried pasturizing just the yolks and then making it that way, if i remember right that way turned out best.

as for hollandaise- try it out sometime, serious eats has a ridiculously simple recipe for it and when you add it to shit it makes everything better. cuz butter. and protein. and acid. what's not to like.

Thread Info