Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Stupidly simply.

2hrs in a tupper bin with some Lea n Perrins.

2hrs in Sous Vide @ 128°F.

Took it out, pat it dry, and then liberally seasoned with Kinders Tequila Lime rub. I LOVE the flavor of this stuff.

Got my cast iron pan decently hot, but can't tell you the temp, just that the oven was set on 4.5/10. My guess is that I was around the 500°F-550°F region. The grapeseed oil's smoke point is about 520°. I wanted an oil with a high smoke point so I could get that nice sear, without all the smoke, bubbling, and hissing from the olive oil which broke down too fast at the temps I wanted. I think the secret to this perfect sear this time was that I switched from Refined olive oil to grape seed oil which has a higher smoke point. As a plus, my apartment didn't turn into a smoke house.

It was on the pan for about 20 seconds per side.

Steaks were just some top sirloin rounds from walmart. Nothing expensive. the 2nd of the pair that came in the package is currently in the fridge for tomorrow.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Amy and I were alone today so I thought I would experiment. Yesterday, I started a couple sous vide chuck roasts. I let them sous vide for 24 hours at 136*.

tX7CdoX.jpg

I was going to grill them afterwards to sear them but we were getting rain on and off and I didn't want to use the charcoal Weber. Instead, I dragged something completely different out of my closet.

o9ETlH0.jpg

I saved the juices from the sous vide cook and then seared each roast. I spooned butter and garlic over them for some added flavor.

fNyNxFF.jpg

Here's the finished product ready for slicing. I let them rest and asked Amy Au Jus or gravy. She wanted gravy.

wnsqQYG.jpg

Luckily, I had the butter/garlic fond waiting and made a roux then a cream sauce out of the bag juice.

6EPKwsr.jpg

Here's the money shot. Amy grilled some fingerling potatoes, carrots and peppers on the gas Weber for the side. The roast totally reminded me of prime rib. Super tender... At about 1/5th the cost.

Poor man's Prime Rib:

BZIrKDu.jpg
I gave this a shot. Big fan of how the roast came out. I wasn't a fan of the marinade I used. MVIMG_20200831_212305.jpg
I vaccum packed the roast with the marinade for about 6 hours then threw it in the sous vide for 22 hours or so. I don't know if it was the hickory flavor or what but I wasn't a fan. I probably would have been better off keeping it simple salt, pepper, garlic powder, and worcestershire sauce.

Reactions: Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I agree. The liquid smoke type of products can overpower the flavor of the meat. I have Liquid Smoke in the cupboard but I rarely use it and only a few drops. I wouldn't be surprised if that marinade has some Liquid Smoke in it.

IMO, get the smoke from burning wood. If you're sous videing, you can put the meat in a low temp. smoker (or grill set up for smoking) for a couple hours before sous videing. Check out Sous Vide Everything on youtube for more info. Guga has done tests on it.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
To Jus or not to Jus, that is the question.

Actually, the question is more of a how to jus.

I'm sous videing a beef roast for 24 hours. I'm going to go to Harbor Freight today and buy a giant flamethrowing torch to sear the outside when it comes out of the sous vide.

I have been searching for a good au jus recipe and find that everybody on the web has their own idea on how to make jus. Ze French have a 6 hour recipe starting with a mirepoix. No thanks. Kitchen youtube goofballs say heat up some beef broth. I think I will combine some of the recipe tips and make my own version. A bit of juice from the sous vide bag, some beef broth, red wine, thyme and rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, maybe a bit of unsalted butter at the end if it needs some fat.

Wish I had a slicer. Roast beef sandwiches are on the agenda for tonight. Can't wait.

To quote Tim Allen, Arrr arrr arrr arrrrr.

51LxUGoGAAL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
My cook today is similar to this Guga video. He's using steaks while I have a roast. I'm adding the video because the torch a few seconds in makes me laugh. I can't wait to crank it up and sear some meat.

EDIT: Ha Ha! I just watched the whole video and Guga says "Guys, do NOT try this at home! We are professionals!" Yeah, right.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I didn't grill my version of jalapeno poppers but you could grill them. I used the oven/broiler instead.

I cut the bacon slices in half and precooked it a bit to get it started. Halved and deseeded some jalapenos. I filled the jalapeno halves with cream cheese, Cotija cheese and sprinkled some cheddar. The bacon went on top. Into the oven at 350* for half an hour. Finish by broiling to crisp the bacon. Stick a fancy toothpick in and these things make a killer appetizer. Make a bunch because they will be scarfed up quickly. Amazing flavors.

Leftover street corn for the side.

Amy and I ate the whole tray!

WXkCXK8.jpg

EO29tmD.jpg

willsmysticcobra willsmysticcobra

How do you feel that Cliff shares our same dishes

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I gotta say a flamethrower is a lot of fun. It's going to become my go to device for searing sous vide meats. Family and neighbors all heard it when I hit the turbo button and I had an audience as I seared the roast. Worked great, too. Took about a minute, maybe less.

TUb6CpM.jpg

A63A33C.jpg

gyuTnp8.jpg

GclDxVM.jpg

iFg4SlD.jpg

Thread Info