Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
anybody have suggestions on new techniques/methods I should try.

[MENTION=8029]BeerOrGasoline[/MENTION] What about dry aging a couple of ribeyes using UMAi bags?

You lose some of the fat on the outside of the cut when you clean the hard "crust" from the ribeye. But that fat marbling of the Wagyu should keep them plenty juicy.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
What's everyone's take on the Weber Smokey Mountain? I'm thinking about picking one up used off facebook due to the increased grill area over my kettle when smoking and more centralized heat source. In smoker groups there are guys that luck out and find them for $50. I'm ok going up to $200 for a 22" in good shape.

My other option is a pit barrel, which can be had for about $200 new. I know it's easier to use a pellet smoker like a Traeger but I just don't smoke that often.

weber22_smokey_mountain_smoker_2048x@2x.png

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
What's everyone's take on the Weber Smokey Mountain? I'm thinking about picking one up used off facebook due to the increased grill area over my kettle when smoking and more centralized heat source. In smoker groups there are guys that luck out and find them for $50. I'm ok going up to $200 for a 22" in good shape.

My other option is a pit barrel, which can be had for about $200 new. I know it's easier to use a pellet smoker like a Traeger but I just don't smoke that often.

weber22_smokey_mountain_smoker_2048x@2x.png

Weber WSMs are really good. I have an 18" and 22". They hold heat well and arent hard to use.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I made the flat of this 15lb brisket I got from costco. I am straight smoking the point tomorrow.

I sous vide this thing for 35 hours at 155. Took it out and refrigerated it for a day. Then put it in my master built electric smoker at 250 for 2.5 hours with hickory and mesquite. I just used salt and pepper for the sous vide, then applied a rub consisting of brown sugar, cumin, green chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder for the smoker.

It turned out amazing. I have read that people can't get smoke flavor in the brisket if you smoke post sous vide, they aren't doing it right. Great smoke flavor and nice crust. I wish I could get the flat to be more moist, but that seems to be the nature of the flat. I did save all the juice from the sous vide and made a bad ass au jus to top the brisket with, which made the drier parts not noticable.
20190628_213721.jpeg20190628_220940.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
What do you consider a deal?

$3.42 a pound. Dortheys market in Mt Sterling IL.

The other box they had was full price which I dont consider a deal.

m2vfK2C.jpg

Definitely a deal, I wonder why one box was half off and the other wasn’t?
How is the quality of the meat. When it’s just me and the family eating I cook the $11lb skirt steak, but it’s the BEST skirt steak I ever had. I clean it, butterfly it and cut it up how I want it.

Thread Info