Food / Drink TCG Grillers, smokers and red meat enthusiasts

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I tried the "super smoke" mode on my traeger the other day with a pork tenderloin. One hour cook. Looking at the smoke ring I'd have to say it works well.

For some reason, the smoke ring looks way darker in my phone. HArd to see on my laptop. But trust me when I say it had a thick smoke ring for an hour cook. lol

20190630_193123.jpeg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
I tried the "super smoke" mode on my traeger the other day with a pork tenderloin. One hour cook. Looking at the smoke ring I'd have to say it works well.

For some reason, the smoke ring looks way darker in my phone. HArd to see on my laptop. But trust me when I say it had a thick smoke ring for an hour cook. lol

By other day, you mean 3.5 weeks ago? ?

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Decided to make a couple beer can chickens yesterday. This was my first attempt at these. Rubbed with a poultry rub and used Bud Light for the beer. Started on the smoker(275*-295*) for close to three hours then moved to my Weber to finish cause was taking too long and also wanted to crank heat to crisp the skin up.

They turned out super juicy but I was a little disappointed with the light smoke flavor. How do you get these to take om smoke with the skin on and a beer can plugging the ass end?! Lol

20190804_145616.jpeg20190804_182346.jpeg

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Lol, did the same yesterday, but didnt use my smoker. Also did wings and corn. I have done a beer can chicken on my smoker (Pit Barrel) for 3hrs and had some smoke taste to it.
I mean, it had a smoke flavor, but just not much. When I do my chicken pieces separate, there quite a bit more smoke flavor.
I bought Weber Dry Rub a few weeks ago as a buddy recommended it for lazy days when I dont feel like making a rub. I have used it on ribs 3 weeks ago and on a beer can chicken yesterday and the shit is fantastic.

This was my first time ever using a store bought rub. Wife was out yesterday and I had my 1yr old so making my usual chicken rub was out of the question. I was at Woodmans and they have a pretty good selection so I bought some poultry bbq rub made by a company called veterans iirc. Basically sugar, paprika, garlic salt, and pepper.

What exact Weber rub do you use? They had a bunch at Woodmans...

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
did a couple 8lb shoulders this weekend. I gave myself 16 hours (for upto 2 hrs/lb), ended up getting done in 12-13 because my WSM was running a bit hotter than usual. I typically shoot for 225 on shoulders, but even with all 3 vents shut it was still climbing into the low 300s. Took them off at 203 IT, wrapped and put in a cooler for a few hours. Still came out moist and amazing, thankfully pork is so forgiving.

Thread Info