Subaru testing a BRZ STI in the states

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The Miata with 220HP would have been so much better than the Miata with 120hp. In no way shape or form would adding power to a car that's way underpowered ruin anything. The only people that enjoy driving a Miata are old AF or :greddy:

A 220hp Miata would be a downright track weapon.

Elise' would fear for their lives.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Too bad it would still be a Miata, but yes, it would be insane. The K-Miatas are just crazy. I understand the momentum cars like the Miata or like single cam civics, but the BRZ/FRS are too powerful to be momentum cars and not powerful enough to be "fun". Granted, with tyres, brakes, some Aero, they're almost as fast S2000's at Gingerman. However, if there was a modern S2000, I doubt it would only have 240hp, it'd probably be closer to 300hp or so.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
On a stock car, probably not much. You need to also adjust the spring rates, dampening, and tires to take advantage of aero.

Which I am sure the STI version of the BRZ did. Stickier tires, tighter suspension etc.

Even the Spec miata guys who really can't change those type of things saw gains of 1-2 seconds on a course and 2-3 mph on the long straights going to the Super Miata aero setup which doesn't even have a front splitter just an air dam.

7012d1396913783-fs-99-miata-pt-spm-sm-race-ready-super_front34.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
what's on the wheels?

[everyone who's not a car guy]But more power or tire will ruin its handling!!![/everyone who's not a car guy]

Meanwhile, Ford sells a 4dr hatchback Fiesta ST that out-runs and out-guns the BRZ while being more practical.

fiesta st is only lapping it on stock tires (they come sticky right?) in any case most people are supposed "car guys" who buy this car slap heavy 18s and shitty all seasons on it anyway. i think your average enthusiast car owner of any model is kind of a boner. probably a waste to wrap something sticky on from the factory, sadly.

are they? maybe their target demographic is women drivers and well............. dickmint :rofl:

the car is meant to be affordable turny fun. for new cars good peers are the miata or fiesta. s2k is a good older comparison, although was a lot pricier. there's really not much new that is light/rwd/turny fun though.

most people wouldn't know what to do with 200 hp when doing anything but going straight. i am still working on that myself, with not much more than 200. i went to my first track day of the year sunday, and there were 4 of these cars and 0 v6 mustangs, or whatever car i should have supposedly bought. one of their demographics is drivers, and people who like driving are not buying v6 mustangs. that is your actual woman driver demographic.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
what's on the wheels?

fiesta st is only lapping it on stock tires (they come sticky right?) in any case most people are supposed "car guys" who buy this car slap heavy 18s and shitty all seasons on it anyway. i think your average enthusiast car owner of any model is kind of a boner. probably a waste to wrap something sticky on from the factory, sadly.

the car is meant to be affordable turny fun. for new cars good peers are the miata or fiesta. s2k is a good older comparison, although was a lot pricier. there's really not much new that is light/rwd/turny fun though.

most people wouldn't know what to do with 200 hp when doing anything but going straight. i am still working on that myself, with not much more than 200. i went to my first track day of the year sunday, and there were 4 of these cars and 0 v6 mustangs, or whatever car i should have supposedly bought. one of their demographics is drivers, and people who like driving are not buying v6 mustangs. that is your actual woman driver demographic.

Dont waste your time i could give 2 shits less what you drive.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I was in california not too long ago driving the canyon roads and a BRZ would have been perfect for it. Very windy, tight, and you don't need a lot of HP to have a blast on those roads. I wouldn't have been able to go any faster in my camaro if I had it over there doing the same thing. Over here in chicago its a different story. Even so, I can't even use half of my HP in this fucking city because half the roads are torn up and the rest of it is bumper to bumper.

If you're not roll racing or drag racing, the car makes perfect sense.

That said, if you're not turning, 200hp kinda blows.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I think so. Starting price for the brz and wrx are incredibly close. I also wonder if they make more on the wrx or the brz. The brz they share with Toyota so costs might be lower but the wrx has years of r&d and lots of things haven't changed in years drivetrain wise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info