Subaru testing a BRZ STI in the states

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
if you buy this car for a drag car then you have 100% bought the wrong car, turbo or not.

Not many people are buying this car, so you can argue that Toyota/Subaru didn't build the right car. for the market This car should have been 240+ hp from the factory, and an option for stickier tires and bigger brakes. The STi version should be an improvement over that.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Where did I say I bought it for drag racing? It was just a stat for comparison.

because it's the stat people keep harping on, whereas people who go driving events other than straight could care less?

Not many people are buying this car, so you can argue that Toyota/Subaru didn't build the right car. for the market This car should have been 240+ hp from the factory, and an option for stickier tires and bigger brakes. The STi version should be an improvement over that.

there's a performance package available now that includes brembos.

what other cars even are there on the market today that are fun, light, driver's cars? and rwd? how did they get this formula wrong, if i can go to an event and see so many of them? if a v6 mustang alternative some people bought is the "right" car, why do i see none of them? they need enough sales in their portfolio to make it profitable, and they wanted a fun cheap driver's car. as far as i know both of these goals have been met.

i'm not saying i'd turn down another 40 hp and in fact i think i've added that with my mods. i am saying i don't notice or care about it for daily driving. as icecream points out it's still not that fast in a straight line anyway.

if the 40 hp is a deal breaker for someone, they won't be happy with the car at 240 anyway. they can go buy that v6 mustang, beat a minivan at a stop light, and never attend any driver events, like they already do today.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I think they built a great car and it has a huge following. They did something right because I could sell my car right now for almost what I bought it for. Everyday around town driving is great and have zero issues except my wide shoulders don't fit great in the seats. My only issue is passing gear and merging on the highway. It's doable, just feel like it could use more.
I think the car is far more capable for many things over the wrx, but they can't make it better because that's their flagship car.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
what other cars even are there on the market today that are fun, light, driver's cars? and rwd? how did they get this formula wrong, if i can go to an event and see so many of them? if a v6 mustang alternative some people bought is the "right" car, why do i see none of them? they need enough sales in their portfolio to make it profitable, and they wanted a fun cheap driver's car. as far as i know both of these goals have been met.

i'm not saying i'd turn down another 40 hp and in fact i think i've added that with my mods. i am saying i don't notice or care about it for daily driving. as icecream points out it's still not that fast in a straight line anyway.

if the 40 hp is a deal breaker for someone, they won't be happy with the car at 240 anyway. they can go buy that v6 mustang, beat a minivan at a stop light, and never attend any driver events, like they already do today.

Both the Mustang and Camaro offer handling packages, such as the Performance Pack for the V6 Mustang and 1LE for the Camaro.

You probably don’t see many V6 Mustangs on road courses because enthusiasts will buy a GT or GT350. The same with the Camaro, you’ll see enthusiasts flocking towards the SS, 1LE, and ZL1. If Subaru had a STI version, the same would be said with the BRZ.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Both the Mustang and Camaro offer handling packages, such as the Performance Pack for the V6 Mustang and 1LE for the Camaro.

You probably don’t see many V6 Mustangs on road courses because enthusiasts will buy a GT or GT350. The same with the Camaro, you’ll see enthusiasts flocking towards the SS, 1LE, and ZL1. If Subaru had a STI version, the same would be said with the BRZ.

less than i'd expect really but that's not the point - those are apples and oranges in terms of cost and formula. the brz is light and cheap. an ss is neither light nor cheap in comparison.

the v6 mustang, however, is commonly referred to as a supposed peer a brz owner should have bought instead. the reason i don't see v6 mustangs at the track isn't because someone brought a gt350 instead, it's because people who buy v6 mustangs are not drivers, they are hairdressers.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Car and driver and many other car review sites test 1/4 mile. It's a basis for comparison, doesn't mean every car tested in a 1/4 mile is a drag car :rofl:

but if people are bitching about straight line performance and 1/4 mile times then that is what they care about. they aren't going to buy the car or be happy with it at 200 or 240. they can buy that satisfactory v6 mustang or hyundai genesis.

I think BRZ drivers tend fall under the same type of profession. Hairdressers, stylists, makeup artists, interior designers, etc.

The difference is the v6 Mustang drivers are women, the BRZ drivers are men...

at least they aren't the knuckle dragging 02 rustang gt high school kids though amirite

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
less than i'd expect really but that's not the point - those are apples and oranges in terms of cost and formula. the brz is light and cheap. an ss is neither light nor cheap in comparison.

the v6 mustang, however, is commonly referred to as a supposed peer a brz owner should have bought instead. the reason i don't see v6 mustangs at the track isn't because someone brought a gt350 instead, it's because people who buy v6 mustangs are not drivers, they are hairdressers.

V6 Pony cars are cheap (Mustang V6 has a lower MSRP than a BRZ) and lightweight, so not sure what your point is. V6 Mustangs are the entry level model of the Mustang lineup. Again, enthusiasts will buy GT's or GT350's if they are interested in lap times. This is true with all brands. You'll see more hardcore track guys in BMW M's vs. entry level 2 series Bimmers.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
V6 Pony cars are cheap (Mustang V6 has a lower MSRP than a BRZ) and lightweight, so not sure what your point is. V6 Mustangs are the entry level model of the Mustang lineup. Again, enthusiasts will buy GT's or GT350's if they are interested in lap times. This is true with all brands. You'll see more hardcore track guys in BMW M's vs. entry level 2 series Bimmers.

my point is the v6 mustang is the supposed apples/apples brz comparo. and drivers do not buy v6 mustangs.

yeah some drivers buy much more expensive cars. at which point we're at an apples/oranges comparo. no one says ah that brz is too slow you shoulda bought an M3 instead. they say v6 mustang, hyundai genesis, and all sorts of cars drivers do not actually buy.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I feel like it would take a V6 Mustang almost a half mile to get up to those speeds.

EDIT: And they're electronically governed to about 120mph, so any knucklehead that got over that speed removed the governor Ford put on there because the DS wasn't meant to handle those speeds.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
my point is the v6 mustang is the supposed apples/apples brz comparo. and drivers do not buy v6 mustangs.

yeah some drivers buy much more expensive cars. at which point we're at an apples/oranges comparo. no one says ah that brz is too slow you shoulda bought an M3 instead. they say v6 mustang, hyundai genesis, and all sorts of cars drivers do not actually buy.

Drivers do not buy BRZ's as evidenced by sales. They sold 4,000 last year. You can get a base Mustang GT 5.0 for a few thousand dollars more than a BRZ if you shop around. That's what "drivers" are buying in the Mustang lineup.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Drivers do not buy BRZ's as evidenced by sales. They sold 4,000 last year. You can get a base Mustang GT 5.0 for a few thousand dollars more than a BRZ if you shop around. That's what "drivers" are buying in the Mustang lineup.

eh I don't buy that. Buyers also chose the the GT over the 4th gen back in 98-02 by like 2 to 1. But who in their right minds would consider themselves an enthusiast and then buy the car with 80 less horsepower?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

that seems pretty terrifying especially if you were boner one handing it recording a video with your phone.

Do auto cross tracks really give you the opportunity to get a V6 Mustang up to 135mph? I always thought road courses were full of turns with very few/short straight sections.

around here, you probably would not get much more over 100 until you got to road america. probably 135+ multiple places.

i'll still see more 86s at these events than gt 5.0s.

and the subaru is 25,500 msrp starting, the mustang gt appears to be 33,200.

you know more mustang gt owners than me, how many were cross shopping a brz? my guess is not many.

People that buy BRZ's want people to think it is a fast car. That's probably the only reason they ever sell any.

they know it's not a fast car. icecream says it's slow. i say it's slow. but it's a fun car and good driver's car.

if you are a drag person you get most of your kicks out of how fast a car is.
if you are a track person you get most of your kicks out of how fast a driver you are.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I think BRZ drivers tend fall under the same type of profession. Hairdressers, stylists, makeup artists, interior designers, etc.

i dont think i've seen someone in that profession driving a brz. they tend to flock to the mustang. the stancefags and drift bros usually buy a brz.

you talk shit about low power output with a 2v mustang in your fleet. didn't they only make 200hp back in 02? :mamoru:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i dont think i've seen someone in that profession driving a brz. they tend to flock to the mustang. the stancefags and drift bros usually buy a brz.

you talk shit about low power output with a 2v mustang in your fleet. didn't they only make 200hp back in 02? :mamoru:

this is sad but true

and yeah what the shit

2002 mustang gt 4.6v8 260 hp 3273 lbs

this is a sad old v8 that probably turns like a couch and you still have it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info