So Tony Stewart may have killed a guy

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
This is bad news. For all of the articles explaining how TS racing sprint cars helps build the sport (last year when he broke his leg) this incident sets everything back. Apparently it was his decision not to race. I wouldve been upset if Nascar didn't step in and sit him for at least this week

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I agree he definitely should have stayed in his car however saying he got what he deserved is a little harsh. Here's what I saw in the video.....

All the cars were staying way low away from the accident like you should. Stewarts car when he hit him was middle trackish and it kept going closer to the wrecked car after he hit him. Seems kinda odd how everyone avoided him except the person he was in an altercation with. Very very suspicious. Just my opiniob

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
If you watch that vid you will see the guy focus on the blue car for a spit second and when it pans back you can see ward had jumped right in front of TS's car to get him to stop then goes to jump out of the way back towards the wall and catches the wheel. Sad he lost his life over it but it was his fault. Your on a race track what the fuck are you thinking...

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
This could have been easily avoided if the driver (Ward) never set foot outside his car, or if Stuart would have taken the inside of that turn like everybody else (besides the car that was in front of him). But in the vid, it does seem like Ward just kept getting closer and closer.

From my understanding, it's not uncommon for a driver to walk out on the track and show his displeasure to another driver for contact on the track, but Ward just kept getting closer and closer and basically asked to get hit.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I agree he definitely should have stayed in his car however saying he got what he deserved is a little harsh. Here's what I saw in the video.....

All the cars were staying way low away from the accident like you should. Stewarts car when he hit him was middle trackish and it kept going closer to the wrecked car after he hit him. Seems kinda odd how everyone avoided him except the person he was in an altercation with. Very very suspicious. Just my opiniob

We don't have the full video. But from what I see I do not agree with your comments. There are multiple cars that ran past him in the middle of the track. And he kept running lower after each one. Tony is running almost identical line to car in front of him. I also think tony slid up into him but was caused by him trying to avoid him. I guess will see if more video comes out. He was trying to probably bang on his car. But this is open wheel racing. He made a bad decision and paid for it.

Capture_zpsb369ff46.png

Capture3_zpsf9c0663c.png

Capture4_zpsf7810d6c.png

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Video: Tony Stewart Runs Over Driver During Confrontation, Killing Him

From watching the video even if the guy was in front TS's car TS still stabbed the throttle into him instead of trying to stop or steer away. My only guess is TS was trying to scare him and it all went wrong.

From watching and listening. I hear the throttle stabbed basically almost right after he hit him. My guess that was just a reaction by tony. But like I said. Im sure more video will surface.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Why did the guy not stay in his car? It was not on fire. Why if he was so worried did he not hop up that fence. Never before have I see a driver get out and Try to flag another drier for help.

You're going fast it's dark he's in dark clothes. You don't expect him to be there. I can see how Stuart wouldn't expect that

I personally had a person run into my car. Similar to what this guy did. And I was doing 55 on a back road and never saw the guy.

There was no intent by Stuart

He wasn't flagging him down for help. He was pissed that Stewart just put him into the wall.

Tragic situation either way. I don't know if it's link baiting but Deadspin is really trying to paint this as Stewart goosing his throttle intentionally and the back end breaking out and hitting the kid. I don't get that from the video but they're accusing him of a lot, stopping just short of murder.

There are reports that as soon as Stewart's car got back to the pits they replaced the right rear tire and ditched the GoPro from the car. If you look at the few picture out there the right rear tire does look particularly clean for having just been on a dirt track.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Here's something I copied from a friend of mine.

All makes sense now: "The steering boxes in, not only Sprintcars, but a majority of dirt cars (like my Falcon that I race) are QuickSteer. QuickSteer is purpose built for racing, and works best at full speed. At low or pacing speed, QuickSteer will not respond as well as a road car, or other cars. That's why at low speed, to turn sharply, it's best to give a quick burst of throttle to help the rear grip and turn.
The reason Tony would of revved up when he got to Ward was to turn sharply away from him, but unfortunately Ward just got way too close, and what could of been easily preventable from both parties, turned into a tragic, freak accident.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
He wasn't flagging him down for help. He was pissed that Stewart just put him into the wall.

Tragic situation either way. I don't know if it's link baiting but Deadspin is really trying to paint this as Stewart goosing his throttle intentionally and the back end breaking out and hitting the kid. I don't get that from the video but they're accusing him of a lot, stopping just short of murder.

There are reports that as soon as Stewart's car got back to the pits they replaced the right rear tire and ditched the GoPro from the car. If you look at the few picture out there the right rear tire does look particularly clean for having just been on a dirt track.

Whatever his reasons he should have kept his ass in his car.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
They pulled right because ward jumped in front of the car and got clipped by the front tire first.

Ok, then why blip the throttle if something is steering you towards a wreck? If your wheels are turned right, bliping the throttle would steer him towards the wrecked car.

I'm not defending the kid getting out of his car, that was a mistake and he's paid for it in full. I'm trying to figure out if there was malice on TS part. I think so, but I don't think he meant to kill him.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Ok, then why blip the throttle if something is steering you towards a wreck? If your wheels are turned right, bliping the throttle would steer him towards the wrecked car.

I'm not defending the kid getting out of his car, that was a mistake and he's paid for it in full. I'm trying to figure out if there was malice on TS part. I think so, but I don't think he meant to kill him.

That's not correct. They are not on pavement. Turning right and giving throttle makes the car go around the corner. Watch a dirt track race there wheels are pointed right through most of the corner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info