NEW RIDE So I bought another JDM car

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I won’t tease you all and get right to the point. Just sent a payment for a 1997 Supra RZ-S. It’s a turbo 6-speed with 94k kilometers (58k miles) and stock unmolested outside of the works wheels.

I wasn’t looking for this car but I told my contact in Japan to let me know if a clean stock Supra pops up I’d be interested in buying it with the intention of selling it to a friend looking for a clean car. I’m right outside of Galveston port and titling a car in Texas is not terribly difficult.

Now on to the good news about this car. It’s super clean in and out considering it’s 25 years old. It became eligible for import last month as its 3/1997 production car. It’s also the first S2 (mid life refresh) year so what that means is that it has updated interior and gauge cluster as well which is more desirable than prior s1 years. The interior is really nice although the shifter panel may need some work to fix it. The underside of the car is free of rust outside of minor surface rust on the front lower control arms which should clean up nicely. The title, odometer, and repair history is all clean/no prior reports.

So what am I going to do with it? I’m not sure but I intend to sell the car once it gets here and I go over the car and make sure it’s mechanically sound, clean, and titled. My friend has a shop that we’ve discussed doing small amount of imports where I’d bring them in, we’d fix at his shop, and he would sell them. This is kinda a trial run to see if it’s something we want to pursue. As we could bring in a handful of cars at a time.

For what I paid for the car I feel as though I got a decent deal. The Japanese Yen has taken quite a hit in the past couple months so deals are decent just with the US dollar having more power. I still have to pay for the customs, import fees, and titling once it gets to Texas but the cost for buying the car, transportation, documentation, and export was all baked into the sale price.

1651000967566.png

1651000984845.png

1651001005237.png

1651001033875.png

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
want
The conversion on that is $16,300 USD. Add in around 5-10k for import costs it would be around 25k. If you're seriously interested in it I could inquire about it but I'll warn you that I don't know what the final price would be to get the car here and landed until I go through this at least once, but if folks were interested I could broker that if you like since I already have the contacts and access to the port.

Reactions: frank and blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
The conversion on that is $16,300 USD. Add in around 5-10k for import costs it would be around 25k. If you're seriously interested in it I could inquire about it but I'll warn you that I don't know what the final price would be to get the car here and landed until I go through this at least once, but if folks were interested I could broker that if you like since I already have the contacts and access to the port.

It's all a pipe dream for me right now. Just was looking at what else they have for sale.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
7.98 million yen is like 62,5xx USD right? man.. thats nice.
I did get a little better deal than that given I have my GTR at the same shop. So they knocked some off of that price and included transportation, export, and shipping costs. I'm still on the hook for it landing here in Texas, customs, fee's, and titling but hoping all in I'm under $70k

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
What makes this special over a similarly-clean car that's always been in the US? (other than being RHD)
Nothing overly special although the cluster is different in these years unlike the us cars. Otherwise its a cost differential. A <60k mile stock 6speed turbo Supra USDM equivalent is well into 6 figure territory. JDM ones typically less however they do pace with the market value albeit less than us counterpart. So an equivalent us car to this one may be 100-130k or maybe more for all I know. Not too many stock cars pop up. This one, maybe 80-90k. Consider my buddy just bought a rhd 5speed NA for 60k usd

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I did get a little better deal than that given I have my GTR at the same shop. So they knocked some off of that price and included transportation, export, and shipping costs. I'm still on the hook for it landing here in Texas, customs, fee's, and titling but hoping all in I'm under $70k

That's a good deal all things considered. I'm in a few Supra FB groups, and the prices clean ones are going for is insane.

Reactions: blue-sun

Thread Info