• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Selling an 04.......

Is there a branch of your buyer's bank near you? you can get the cashier's check, go to the branch with him, and cash it! The bank that issues the check will have to clear it and cash it for you on the spot... no waiting (you might lose $5.00) and you get cash on the spot which you can deposit into your account and you don't have to wait for anything to clear... I've done this a few times

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I flew to Philadelphia to buy my cobra.. I had a cashiers check in my pocket and we went into his bank they verified it with Chase and he deposited the check. I was in and out in 10 minutes. It was a shitty little bank also not a big name national one and they looked at me like I was a rockstar when the branch manager knew me by the name on my account..lol If he is picking the car up or shipping it just get the check go to your bank and have them call to verify the check. Any bank can do that..

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
I flew to Philadelphia to buy my cobra.. I had a cashiers check in my pocket and we went into his bank they verified it with Chase and he deposited the check. I was in and out in 10 minutes. It was a shitty little bank also not a big name national one and they looked at me like I was a rockstar when the branch manager knew me by the name on my account..lol If he is picking the car up or shipping it just get the check go to your bank and have them call to verify the check. Any bank can do that..

All true but what stops the person from stopping payment on the check? You can stop payment on any check. I had an issue like that before also.

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
definitely do not let te car leave your sight until the check is cleared and it has been confirmed that it is cleared. DO not be afraid of the sale falling through, but rather of being scammed. Most of the "nigerian" scams work this way.
they send you a check for X amount let's say $5000. Then they tell you to keep $1500 for your efforts (or some sort of research, or whatever other task they come up with), and the buy a MONEY ORDER or get a CASHIERS check from your bank and send it to some other person. Now, you do this, and several days later you realize that their check has bounced, and that you send out actual "cash" to the other person. So, you find yourself owing that money to the bank.
Bottom line - if he is legit - 3-5 business days is not too long to wait for the check to clear. Especially when taking into consideration amount of $$$$ in question, as well as the distance that the car will be transferred.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
actually any person can as well. banks cannot tell you how much is in a persons account per various privacy laws, but you have the right to know if the check is legitimate and if the amount will clear
If its a cashiers check you have to have the cash to draft the check or have the cash in the account to withdraw it to draft the check. I wasn't saying it had anything to do with the account its just a matter of contacting a branch of the bank that drafts the check. When I sold my Hayabusa to a guy in California his credit union had a branch in the McDonalds building in Oak Brook so all I did was go there and they gave me the cash and i left.. I next day aired him the title and a company picked the bike up.. And the credit union branch just typed in the number and they were able to pull all the info up in the computer. I also recommend a signed bill of sale which will protect buyer and seller so if he tries to cancel the check you have a leg to stand on when you federally persue charges. Make sure it shows as much info as possible. Especially have the amount of the check and the check number and VIN# and details of the sale..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info