Selling an 04.......

rexisme

Reaction score
I am selling my 04 cobra, the buyer is from PA. I still have a lien on the title. His bank is giving him a cashiers check in my name to pay off the car at my bank. I talked to my bank and they said since he is from out of state they will not cover the check if for soem reason it does not go through. That I would be stuck w/out the car and it would be 685 miles away, while still owing the balance of the loan. (to which i responded, you'd still have the title right? If i quit paying it would be your job to repo it and get it back right? Lol). Forr me not to give him the car until the check clears.... The buyer is pissed at me because I told him the car doesn't leave my posession until the check clears. Am I being unreasonable?

SICNESS

Opulence...I has it...
Reaction score
I am selling my 04 cobra, the buyer is from PA. I still have a lien on the title. His bank is giving him a cashiers check in my name to pay off the car at my bank. I talked to my bank and they said since he is from out of state they will not cover the check if for soem reason it does not go through. That I would be stuck w/out the car and it would be 685 miles away, while still owing the balance of the loan. (to which i responded, you'd still have the title right? If i quit paying it would be your job to repo it and get it back right? Lol). Forr me not to give him the car until the check clears.... The buyer is pissed at me because I told him the car doesn't leave my posession until the check clears. Am I being unreasonable?
Tell him to fuck himself if he doesn't like you seeing the transaction until the end. Seriously. Would he give up his Cobra without making sure the check is good?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Reaction score
I don't thinks it's unreasonable, ask your bank how many days to confirm check is good, type up an agreement that you will not drive the car in the process of check clearing and on said date when confirmation car is his, that way both of you are covered. I would agree though to the wire direct to the bank.

01GTvert

Reaction score
When I sold my 01 vert I called the bank the buyer wrote the check from and confirmed the funds were there...he was from Indiana fwiw.

Mike1284

hey guy
Reaction score
on a side note, if you have the dark charcoal seats, mind trading with me before the sale of the car?

OP
R

rexisme

Reaction score
Lol, that's one of the things that drew him to the car. He is taking out a loan so it would be his bank I am trusting. Which I mean if a t or I doesn't get dotted who is to say he will rectify the situation. I also thought I was being more than fair when I told him to just give me the payoff balance, when that clears he can have the car. Then when he receives the title he can give me he remainder. That still didn't satisfy him and he's tryin to make me feel like the dick.

IZZy

Powered by ES
Reaction score
if he is not being reasonable then find another buyer IMO

OP
R

rexisme

Reaction score
if he is not being reasonable then find another buyer IMO
I wish it were that easy not too many people a dishing out money right now on something that can pretty much be called a toy. I just wish I would of sold it 8 months ago for nearly $5k more than what I am getting now. But I turned it down.

innrkid

I hunt, I eat
Reaction score
have his bank work directly with yours. his pays off the balance at your bank, and then cut a check to you for the balance.

I just did this same thing last week.

y2k4cobra

04 Screaming Yellow Cobra
Reaction score
I would wait till the check clears. There has been to many scams out there and people losing their cars due to bad checks. TRUST NO ONE but your self when it comes to high dollar stuff.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Reaction score
have his bank work directly with yours. his pays off the balance at your bank, and then cut a check to you for the balance.

I just did this same thing last week.
good idea right there, thats what id do
I would wait till the check clears. There has been to many scams out there and people losing their cars due to bad checks. TRUST NO ONE but your self when it comes to high dollar stuff.
+1 soooooooooooooo many scams out there its ridiculous, especially when youre trying to sell a car

when i was selling my integra i got all these emails saying someone would mail me a check for more than what i was asking and then id mail them back the difference... :confused: i wonder if anyone is stupid enough to actually do that, but i finally recieved an actual check from one of these scammers, took it to the bank for shits and sure enough - JUNK

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Reaction score
Sorry man but that car would not be leaving my house until the money is clear and thats all there is to it! There are more than a few ways to have the car paid for listed here already that would cover your ass and thats all that matters.

Emil

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with cash.
Go to the bank with him, if they say the bills are good the deal's done!

wizdawg

Reaction score
I personally know someone who sold a car and the buyers cashiers check ended up being no good. Luckily for her, she was able to claim it as a theft and ended up getting more though insurance than the sale price of the car.

I would defiantly not let the car go until you are 100% sure you have the money.

OP
R

rexisme

Reaction score
Alright, thank all of you. I've told him the bottom line is the cars not leaving till the check clears. Nowadays with our technological advancements anything can be pretty much forged. If he wants to hold the excess until the title arrives then that is ok with me.

deviantlx

Reaction score
your bank lied to you. they can immediately identify whether or not the check is valid on the spot. i just gave my bank a certified check for 25k two days ago and they called and verified it indeed was a real check from citibank. they told me it would be 2-3 days before funds were available but i could withdraw up to 1/2 the amount right there:)

nothing like walking outta the bank w/10k. makes me smile all day long.

OP
R

rexisme

Reaction score
your bank lied to you. they can immediately identify whether or not the check is valid on the spot. i just gave my bank a certified check for 25k two days ago and they called and verified it indeed was a real check from citibank. they told me it would be 2-3 days before funds were available but i could withdraw up to 1/2 the amount right there:)

nothing like walking outta the bank w/10k. makes me smile all day long.
Citibank is a little bit bigger business than some mom and pop credit union out of PA. $12.5k is half of $25k btw,your bank lied to you..

deviantlx

Reaction score
Citibank is a little bit bigger business than some mom and pop credit union out of PA. $12.5k is half of $25k btw,your bank lied to you..

they said i could take UP to 1/2. i didnt need that much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom