Schools don't make you smart thread #panda17wednesdays

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I never said schools don't make you smart. I said I don't believe schools matter very much. I don't believe one school district or school will give a noticeably better education to a specific individual. Especially if we are talking Suburban Schools vs. Suburban schools. One might argue "better" schools get better test scores. Yeah maybe but these tests do not show the types of people, neighborhood, etc Private schools can also yield good test scores in most cases these teachers are not paid the same as public schools and they do not get the same funding so I don't thing its about money.

I'm just mad that so much of my property taxes goes to the schools and I myself receive little or nothing for it not having children. I am not in a area where people general move into because of the schools either so I do not think my real-estate value is higher because of it.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I see Panda's argument tho. He's getting raped in taxes in general.

I never looked or cared about how good the schools were when i was house shopping. Doesnt bother me one bit.

[MENTION=750]RICH17[/MENTION] you are in McHenry County also...

Like I said on your move in day. You house is assessed at like half of what you paid. Expect the county to chase your sale next year and your taxes to double.

We all getting raped

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
My issue is that I lived in crystal lake my whole life and went to D155 high schools which are considered top schools in the Chicagoland area. The taxes were high but we understood the value as the area was known for having good schools, low amount of riff-raff etc.... now I bought a house in Woodstock (at the very southern tip which is as close to crystal lake as you can get) and the taxes are barely lower but the schools are average at best and there is a huge problem with homeless people literally shitting in the square and walking around drunk causing problems. Also the police don’t even have a non-emergency line in town, they contract it out to McHenry who doesn’t give a shit whenever I call for whatever reason.... why do I live here instead of crystal lake? I don’t know- like I said the taxes are essentially identical but the home prices are much lower. To get a similar property in crystal lake I was looking at an additional $100k. I’m starting to regret not paying it especially since we are thinking of having a kid soon

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I see both sides of the argument, but lend towards, "If I am not using it, why am I paying for it!"

I get fucked twice.

- I pay taxes to U-46 since I live in Elgin

- I private school our kids, which costs a fortune, but is way better than U-46.

my next door neighbor is renting out his 2200sqft single family house in Elgin to live in a rented 900sqft place in Schaumburg just to get his 2 kids out of U-46. he says its worth it because after just 1 semester he is seeing a huge difference from his youngest that is just entering the system vs his son that spent 3 years in U-46.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
So I live in this small section of Hoffman. I also went to Fremd. For me it didn't help me go to an ivy league school as I was a slacker in high school. It did help a lot of my friends go to Stanford, Harvard, Yale, MIT, the list goes on. Most of my friends were AP students/smart kids while I did the regular classes. I have friends that have gone back and teach there and had some of my best teachers from there.

I went to a po dunk directional college (NIU) mostly because I couldn't afford UofI so I didn't get the full benefit but looking at where I was vs my peers in how to write, take notes, reading comprehension I was at the high end compared to a lot of people I met even with my maybe less then great school work ethic.

Not saying you can't make it to the high end schools without a good high school but for a lot of the people that move to this neighborhood that is the outright goal.

i have 1997-1999 uiuc and 1999 2001 niu computer science experience. i think niu was getting better when i left. 3 semesters of 2 csci courses apiece was objectively, and easily, far better at uiuc than the entire 4 year program worth of csci at niu at the time.

that being said, most people are a user of adobe photoshop than a programmer of it, for a general analogy to how we really work anyway. i'm sure i'd be doing way different things if i graduated from uiuc vs. niu. and i had a lot of fun actually majoring in counterstrike at niu and how my career developed after graduating from there, so happy with how things turned out. graduated a semester late cuz niu dean gave me credit hours for my uiuc classes but not actual credit for their similar ones (just a money grab i didn't know any better about fighting)

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
[MENTION=750]RICH17[/MENTION] you are in McHenry County also...

Like I said on your move in day. You house is assessed at like half of what you paid. Expect the county to chase your sale next year and your taxes to double.

We all getting raped

Man, I can't wait for the Thursday after that happens. :bowrofl:

Already preparing and putting more into escrow

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info