Schools don't make you smart thread #panda17wednesdays

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
While a school may not raise your IQ, it may help you perform better and teach a higher potential. Just as a good coach can show someone who may not have as much talent a better way to do things and instill a better work ethic in them.

The district my kids are in since we moved is one of the top in the state of Kentucky. I'm amazed at some of the things they're doing. Character building, responsibilities, just being good people. I'm very impressed with it. Now it's a much easier pill for me to swallow as I don't feel I'm getting raped on my taxes. They are about 3k a year. When you have people up there paying 10k a year with no kids in school, and the districts are shit you have a problem, and that's one of the main reasons I left.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I see both sides of the argument, but lend towards, "If I am not using it, why am I paying for it!"

I get fucked twice.

- I pay taxes to U-46 since I live in Elgin

- I private school our kids, which costs a fortune, but is way better than U-46.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I had a conversation with my cuz last Thanksgiving in fact. Bitching about how much of my taxes goes to the schools and I have no kids. Her kids goto Gilberts schools and she would love to get them into another district. bla bla bla. Im like IMO if your kids are smart your kids are smart. I don't think a better school district is going to make them more intelligent. I don't get why people purposely buy homes in places for schools. Like my dad for example he bought his house in a small section of Hoffman Estates surrounded by South Barrington and Inverness because he wanted to be in the Fremd school distract. He could have got the same home in Hoffman Estates for probably $75-$100K less if it was on the other side of the highway and had Schaumburg Schools. IDK I just don't get the big deal about schools.

So I live in this small section of Hoffman. I also went to Fremd. For me it didn't help me go to an ivy league school as I was a slacker in high school. It did help a lot of my friends go to Stanford, Harvard, Yale, MIT, the list goes on. Most of my friends were AP students/smart kids while I did the regular classes. I have friends that have gone back and teach there and had some of my best teachers from there.

I went to a po dunk directional college (NIU) mostly because I couldn't afford UofI so I didn't get the full benefit but looking at where I was vs my peers in how to write, take notes, reading comprehension I was at the high end compared to a lot of people I met even with my maybe less then great school work ethic.

Not saying you can't make it to the high end schools without a good high school but for a lot of the people that move to this neighborhood that is the outright goal.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Okay, so here's my take for what its worth (not much probably.)

-Paying for schools is cheaper than paying for jails. at 50K/year to incarcerate someone its a good investment.
-That said, we should be careful about how we spend our money on schools. Common Core was designed to line the technology companies pockets, not teach better.
-We need to control things like administrative costs to ensure cash goes to teachers not to red tape.
-CPS teachers are some of the best paid in the country, yet give terrible results. We should be expecting results or getting rid of under performing teachers and administrators.

It goes back to the idea of what's the value proposition for these schools to society?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info